• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What would you put in monster manual 2?

Benji

First Post
Love the way people react to monsters. I asked for like the five most important ones people think need to be in an MM2. Peoples reactions: post a massive list in the 80+range. :D

Benji

First Post
Love the way people react to monsters. I asked for like the five most important ones people think need to be in an MM2. Peoples reactions: post a massive list in the 80+range. :D

S

Sunseeker

There's a lot of good monsters still out there!

S

Sunseeker

There's a lot of good monsters still out there!

capn_pineapple

First Post
Some of my most memorable fights as a player have been ones with good monster synergies. Leaders leading, rank and file, pets/beasts. Mages with elementals/captured/tamed beasties.

• Templates for monsters / characters (a half-celestial ogre monk was a great enemy), template sets for half-XXXX's (fiend, celestial, dragon, elemental, fey), skele's, zombies, ghosts, a decent "dire" template would be nice too.
  • Repeating the call for more fey / celestials / archons / dino's
  • NPC's builds. I've been making NPCs out of 3.xe prestige classes.
  • I'd like some more epic fights too, the Tarrasque is one thing, but there's more out there, CR15-25 is a bit thin outside demons/dragons/devils and a kraken.
Perhaps the Deities/Demigods/Planescape book needs to come out, having some more monsters from planes other than the common material would be awesome. More mechanus, what's actually on the Positive/Negative planes.

Or just throw something completely new at me.

ghabrel

First Post
I for one really liked the Balhannoth from 4e. I made a conversion myself, and I'm trying to find ones other people have made, but it's surprisingly difficult. If WotC released an official one I would totally be on board for it...

Oh good, you found this thread. That will me the time in searching for it when VGtM comes out, as I want to compare my "100 monsters I want to see" list with the ~100 we'll be getting in that book...

So, with Volo's just about out and the table of contents leaked, let's see how well we did!

I listed 100 monsters I would like to have seen updated. The following monsters from that list made it into VGtM:

Barghest
Beholder (I listed several subtypes, and the gauth made the cut)
Bodak
Catoblepas
Demon (again, of the subtypes I listed, the babau made it in)
Dinosaur (they included most of the subtypes I listed, which makes me very happy)
Elder Brain
Firbolg
Gnoll, Flind (I even said that their CR should be upped, which is exactly what happened)
Hag, Annis
Kobold, “Leader” (we get several types in fact)
Leucrotta
Mind Flayer (I listed the Alhoon and Ulitharid, and both are in)
Morkoth
Neogi (all three types I suggested are in)
Orc (I suggested a "High Warlord", so not sure of one of the subtypes listed will fulfill this, but it seems fairly likely)
Quickling (Woohoo!)
Satyr, Korred
Tlincalli/Manscorpion/Stinger
Triton
Vargouille
Vegepygmy
Yeth Hound
Yuan-ti, Anathema
NPCS (most types I mentioned appear to be in, even got the Archdruid by name!)

So, 25 out 100 is probably a pretty good percentage, given that the VGtM isn't a full MM2 with nothing but cover-to-cover stat blocks. Plus, most of the ones I really wanted to see made the cut; I'm only truly disappointed by gibberlings being missing, having come to terms with the fact that the gem dragons and most of the extraplanar races were likely being saved for later books. Looking back on it, I do find it odd I didn't include xvarts, given that I like them - I guess I assumed they were too obscure to be updated in the second "monster" book.

Remove ads