• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you set this template's LA to?

Abisashi

First Post
I've created this template for a group of select druids in my campaign. I've assigned an LA to it, but I want to know what you think the LA should be, and if it's strong/weak for that LA. Thanks!

Arburegnaverus (True King of the Tree) is a template that can be added to any creature able to cast Awaken, Liveoak, and Entangle and who knows the secrets required to become an Arburegnaverus. This knowledge is possessed only by other Arburegnaverus and Concaesculet (Once a giant, sentient forest, now just a grove).

-Your type changes to plant; you gain low-light vision, immunity to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. You are not subject to critical hits. You need to breathe and eat, but not sleep; you may eat by being in the sun for eight hours a day. Your skin takes on a greenish cast; your hair beomes like grass, and your ears become flowers. Sap flows through your veins instead of blood, and you may not use blood-based effects (for instance, you could not become a blood magus, or use a spell with your blood as a component.) You may take root while resting, and it is as if someone used long-term care on you (as per the heal skill).
- You gain a +2 bonus to diplomacy checks to interact directly (i.e. this does not work when you assist someone else's diplomacy check) with creatures of nature (generally, fey and animals) and plants.
- You are immune to Entangle, and gain a +2 bonus against similar effects. You are constantly surrounded by a 10-foot-radius Entangle effect (CL = druidic caster level; DC = 10 + druidic caster level/2 + wis mod). You may turn this power on or off as a standard action.
- You may have a vine familiar, which replaces your animal companion (if any); it acts as a large animated object, but it is a plant and has 11 int, wis, and cha. If you can have an animal companion, you may designate the vine as your companion; it gains the benefits of being your animal companion as though your level were five lower. It has a speed of 20 and a climb speed of 10. On a succesful grapple check, it deals 1d8+4 (1d8 + 1.5 str) damage. It can constrict two creatures of small size or smaller at the same time. If the vine dies, another one grows and comes to you in 1d6 days.
- Due to your mastery of nature, you gain +3 bonus to your caster level on druidic spells and +2 wisdom.
- You are more likely to be granted access to what remains of Concaesculet (a small grove of trees at the center of a druids grove at the intersection of the borders of Kallos, Serral's Gap, and The Old Empire.)
- You may be privy to other secrets.

Last edited:

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Abisashi said:
-Your type changes to plant; you gain low-light vision, immunity to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. You are not subject to critical hits. You need to breathe and eat, but not sleep; you may eat by being in the sun for eight hours a day. Your skin takes on a greenish cast; your hair beomes like grass, and your ears become flowers. Sap flows through your veins instead of blood, and you may not use blood-based effects (for instance, you could not become a blood magus, or use a spell with your blood as a component.) You may take root while resting, and it is as if someone used long-term care on you (as per the heal skill).
Pretty good immunities, still get a con bonus(?) but no crits = +1ECL

Abisashi said:
- You gain a +2 bonus to diplomacy checks to interact directly (i.e. this does not work when you assist someone else's diplomacy check) with creatures of nature (generally, fey and animals) and plants.
Nothing to speak of.

Abisashi said:
- You are immune to Entangle, and gain a +2 bonus against similar effects. You are constantly surrounded by a 10-foot-radius Entangle effect (CL = druidic caster level; DC = 10 + druidic caster level/2 + wis mod). You may turn this power on or off as a standard action.
Decent power = +1ECL

Abisashi said:
- You have a vine familiar; it acts as a large animated object, but it is a plant and has 11 int, wis, and cha. If you can have an animal companion, you may designate the vine as your companion; it gains the benefits of being your animal companion as though your level were five lower. It has a speed of 20 and a climb speed of 10. On a succesful grapple check, it deals 1d8+4 (1d8 + 1.5 str) damage. It can constrict two creatures of small size or smaller at the same time. If the vine dies, another one grows and comes to you in 1d6 days.
Modest power = +.25 ECL

Abisashi said:
- Due to your mastery of nature, you gain +3 bonus to your caster level on druidic spells and +2 wisdom.
Decent powers = +1ECL

Abisashi said:
- You are more likely to be granted access to what remains of Concaesculet (a small grove of trees at the center of a druids grove at the intersection of the borders of Kallos, Serral's Gap, and The Old Empire.)
Nothing to speak of.

Abisashi said:
- You may be privy to other secrets.
Nothing to speak of.

+3.25 ECL? well there are no hd so that +3CL is actually just a +0CL, so I'd drop it to +3 ECL. It is either a strong +2 ECL or a weak +3ECL I think.

quetzyl

First Post
Given the very high level this template is obtained at (because of the high level spellcasting requirements), I would definitely not set it at +3, and would even consider setting it at only +1. If you consider a 15th level druid or cleric, which is about the class and level that people are likely to be able to gain the template, then losing even a single level of spell casting is a very big sacrifice, and I doubt anyone would want to give up 2 levels for the benefits this temmplate grants. If you set it at +1 then it becomes genuinely beneficial for druids, and OK for nature clerics. If it is set at +2 then I would imagine that only druids would even consider taking it, and even then only with very good role playing justification.

Cheers,
quetzyl

PS Does a druid have to replace his animal companion with a vine, or can he have both a normal animal companion and an unboosted vine?

Abisashi

First Post
quetzyl said:
PS Does a druid have to replace his animal companion with a vine, or can he have both a normal animal companion and an unboosted vine?

It's one or the other; I'll fix it above.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I'd say it's probably in the +2 range-- possibly +1 because of the strict requirements.

Being of the Plant type does confer a ton of nifty abilities, but it also exposes you to a number of other spells and effects-- and if the Druidic sects of your campaign engage in conflict, their enemies will have access to most of the effects that they're newly vulnerable to.

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
Hmm, interesting. I would place it at a moderate +2, maybe a strong +1. Plants are easy to destroy, especially if there is an axe or fire around. However, if you ignore alignment, a green dragon would be best with this template. Nothing says "Is that a dragon... made out of plants?".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads