• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's a good plot reason to grant the players psionic powers?

Darkmantle26

First Post
So I've been doing a lot of campaign building. I've been trying to build a campaign off the premise of psionics, and I've done a lot of stuff, I've made a new dragon type, I've stated the Elan's from 3.5, ect. But I wanted the players to feel included in all this psionics that's floating around, but what is a good plot way to give them these powers without having them simply start with them?

darjr

I crit!
After the Mind Flayers attacked his village and left only him alive the psionic resonance inhabited his mind. Like a barley concealed rage it would scream at him, some times it would cause things to happen, strange things, deadly things, and it only ever said one word, "Revenge!"

darjr

I crit!
He stole that knife from the little blue man, fair and square, it was his! Sometimes he would wake up and it would be gone, and he'd panic and scramble about seeking it, but it would always return. Blue and hot and cold and so very very sharp.

Nytmare

David Jose
So I've been doing a lot of campaign building. I've been trying to build a campaign off the premise of psionics, and I've done a lot of stuff, I've made a new dragon type, I've stated the Elan's from 3.5, ect. But I wanted the players to feel included in all this psionics that's floating around, but what is a good plot way to give them these powers without having them simply start with them?

In the Scarred Lands there was the beginning of a story arc that involved players catching a "language virus" created by a race of extinct aberrations. The virus twisted something in peoples' minds that made it so that they could no longer be understood by, or understand anyone who wasn't also suffering from the virus, even by magical means. In addition to making it completely impossible to communicate, it also opened the characters up to being able to level up in psychic character classes.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Bitten by a radioactive spider?

Strange dreams from a powerful otherworldy god/demon?

Unexplained? Just have the PC do something weird and realize that his/her mind can manipulate the world. (Maybe part of the story for that PC will be an attempt to find out why it happened)

Near death experience that addles his/her mind unlocking strange powers?

Finding a magic item that is sentient? It feeds his/her mind and unlocks psionic powers.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
Brain surgery!

Intellect Devourer teleports its way into PC's head, stays there without the parties knowledge.

Psychic contact from someone who already had psionic powers.

Maybe they had to do a really hard math problem?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Maybe they had to do a really hard math problem?
1)
Spock: Computer, calculate to the last digit the value of PI.
Computer Virus: NNNNOOOOOooooo you can't do this to meeee... -blinks out-

1a) The Grandfather Paradox is sometimes referred to as "Excedrin Headache Number (square root of (negative PI))".
Calculate this number.

2)
In science-fiction-author circles, the Grandfather Paradox is this:
A person hates his grandfather, so he invents a time machine, goes back to when his grandfather was a little kid, and kills the child. Now the time traveler both does exist and cannot exist. Additionally, his grandfather both does not exist and must exist.
Solve the Paradox.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Players found a glowing meteor in a smoking crater. Energy from it unlocked their psi potential. Or a ship, a critter-ship, etc. Or some artifact deep in a dungeon. Like the monolith from 2001, basically.

PCs bathed in one of those Mind Flayer breeding pools. Were captured by a mad wizard and experimented upon. The aforementioned glowing meteor found its way into the water table, and the PCs (and lots of other folks) have been drinking groovy psi-water for "long enough" now. A huge explosion blew up the glowy alien element, now it's particulate matter everyone's breathing in. Fallout, in other words.

Glowy psi-active crystal dust can be from space rocks, or it can be the crystallized blood of the god at the planet's core, that is beginning to seep up and out, to be mined, or whatever.

Milk of the Psi-Poppy. "Everybody does it." "It's in everything here."

The psi-equivalent of gods or greater demons/angels have long been buried in the earth, their minds dormant. But now they're waking up, and granting favors. [snip think I'll keep that one]

The Dark Phoenix, a creature of vast cosmic power, died in a cataclysmic event. Its death scream touched the galaxy, discharging its Force, and imparting many with strange new powers, abilities, visions, and even goals.

A rare cosmological event aligns astronomical bodies, focusing and directing, like a lens, psi-boosting energy toward a certain vaguely Tolkienesque planet...

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
The party recovers some strangely glowing gems.
The next morning everyone needs Con saves.
Success = headaches.
Failure = sick for random days, worse headaches, & strange new abilities upon recovery.
The daily saves continue until all players have psionic powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads