• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's changed?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
So, I stopped paying attention to rules changes and updates around the time that the Essentials came out. I also cancelled my CB subscription before it turned into a pile of steaming crap.

But now it's possible that I might be getting into a new gaming group, in which case I'll need to update myself on the changes, and so wanted to know what I should look-up in order to catch-up.

shamsael

First Post
The only changes you need to worry about are now feats like Heavy Blade Expertise, Superior Reflexes, etc, that trump old feats.

There is an expertise feat for each weapon group and each implement type that provides a scaling bonus to attack rolls and a bonus unique to that weapon group. Axes get to reroll 1s for damage, holy symbols prevent combat advantage i think, etc.

There is a super defense feat for each non-armour defense that provides a scaling bonus to that defense and a unique passive effect. These feats require a decent score in one of the two related stats, but the old version is still available with no requisite for people trying to boost a deficient defense.

ourchair

First Post
Shamsael's pretty much got it.

The only real major changes I can see from Essentials is that the basic rules are unchanged, but occasionally 'rephrased' to avoid any mis-interpretations or RAW-based loopholes. They didn't actually change the game.

The minor changes are mostly just errata, which would have happened regardless of Essentials. Welcome the new errata, same as the old errata. The rest are just new material: new feats, new powers and expanded racial bonuses, which don't really change the game so much as many of them may or may not trump previous choices.

Damon_Tor

First Post
Rogues can no longer use Crossbows, Repeating Crossbows, or Superior Crossbows with Sneak Attack, basically killing the sniper rogue build of MP2. Be careful with artificers, the new item rules weirded some of their features and powers (ie, some are really strong now, others are entirely functionless. Just be careful with your choices) Melee Training was nerfed to keep slayers and knights in line, so classes that require it to function like Battleminds have taken some collateral damage as a result. Dwarfs can't use additional second wind uses as minor actions anymore. Drow only get 1 of their powers, chosen at level 1, making the paragon path that revolves around using them both entirely worthless.

In general, if making a leader, use O4e, 4eE leaders blow. If making a defender, use a 4eE defender, they are hands-down superior. Strikers and Controllers can go either way; though the mage is better than the wizard in basically any situation, the hunter is a pretty sucky controller (but deals decent damage for one)

ourchair

First Post
It's really hard to imagine they would have nerfed Melee Training if not for Essentials.
True, but I did say mostly.

My point is that the game isn't really that different to play or run, save for the (admittedly nigh-innumerable) errata-licious adjustments. It's not like how one attacks, deals damage, casts non-combat spells, uses skills has changed nor has the action economy of each combat turn.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
In general, if making a leader, use O4e, 4eE leaders blow. If making a defender, use a 4eE defender, they are hands-down superior. Strikers and Controllers can go either way; though the mage is better than the wizard in basically any situation, the hunter is a pretty sucky controller (but deals decent damage for one)

Wow, sounds like they've really made a mess of things :(

Nullzone

Explorer

This quote is incredibly misinformed.

Have you ever actually played with any of the Essentials leaders, or just read about them? Because I can tell you right now that Sentinels are potent. And Warpriests aren't far behind, they fill the gap of what a Str cleric should have been in my experience.

And Mage better than Wizard? You do realize that a Wizard can take all the same powers, right? They're two sides of the same coin, and the cardinal difference(s) essentially comes down to a flavor mechanic (school mastery vs implement mastery).

And I don't know many other controllers that have the ability to slide, knock prone, or slow (save ends) as an at-will.

Last edited:

This quote is incredibly misinformed.

Have you ever actually played with any of the Essentials leaders, or just read about them? Because I can tell you right now that Sentinels are potent. And Warpriests aren't far behind, they fill the gap of what a Str cleric should have been in my experience.

And Mage better than Wizard? You do realize that a Wizard can take all the same powers, right? They're two sides of the same coin, and the cardinal difference(s) essentially comes down to a flavor mechanic (school mastery vs implement mastery).

And I don't know many other controllers that have the ability to slide, knock prone, or slow (save ends) as an at-will.

Well... Actually the Mage's school based bonuses are generally much more useful than the implement mastery features of the Wizard. The Mage has a better spellbook too, and gets Magic Missile for free. Wizards do get Ritual Casting free though. Overall the differences are pretty small, but I'd say they go a bit in favor of the Mage on the whole.

Agree on the leaders. Dunno much about the new ranger variants TBH.

I guess we'll let Aegeri rip into the e-defenders. Suffice it to say that the PHB1 fighter (weaponmaster) is in no danger of being challenged by a knight. The Cavalier (paladin) may be a bit better defender than the old paladin, but that one is a pretty big tossup and really depends on play style and the details of the old style paladin build you use. Overall pre-E defenders are probably still the best option.

Honestly, most of the E-classes have a bit more focus on being good at their particular thing, but they are overall probably slightly weaker than their older cousins.

As others have said, not much has changed unless you're really into optimized builds, in which case you will probably have a bit to chew through.

Remove ads