• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeStryfe79

First Post
A while ago I quit posting here since I believe so called "edition wars" should be an important part of the growth of RPG design philosophy. I gave realistic reasons why I felt WotC had failed, and this site didn't take kindly to it. I think a big reason why the opinions on sites such as this are inaccurate are due to the fact that a majority of posters here are hardcore role players. Whereas I personally think the true strength of an RPG lies in it's everyday players that wouldn't necessarily take the time to join an online forum.

So, how are things? Is WotC doing better than it was in say 2000? Has everyone who was previously on the fence adopted 4th edition? Has WotC increased their staff, or are current economic and entertainment trends being used as an excuse for lackluster sales? I honestly don't know about such things since I have been running/ playing my own system for quite some time now and haven't had the time to dabble in the contemporary rpg climate.

Well, I learned my lesson a while back, so I'm not trying to start a troll fest here and I just want to know how RPGs in general have improved over the course of the last year and a half. Is Pathfinder any good? I hear complaints that it's too derivative, but yet it seems to be a bigger change from 3.5 than 3.5 was from 3. I personally felt the entire 3ed system got out of hand at high levels (as opposed to 4ed which I thought was out of hand at 1st level!) I liked Paizo's apparent efforts, but doubted their ability to fix these things while maintaining compatibility with d20.

So I guess I'm just testing some waters here and trying to see how this great hobby has matured as of late. I know some folk in real life that solely play 4ed, but I don't care for their opinions since they were always among the most one dimensional gamers I've had at my table(all about powers and numbers and lacking any real heft). I know this isn't true of all post 3ed roleplayers, but sadly, this is all I've seen...

I guess I'm looking for a little optimism and excitement for RPG things not created by Blizzard, Bioware or Square-Enix. Anything good to report? Thank you for your time! :)

-LeStryfe

LeStryfe79

First Post
I'm sorry Kinneus, but why would you reply to this thread if you had nothing productive to add? I'm merely looking for some new insight...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
...I think a big reason why the opinions on sites such as this are inaccurate are...

...Well, I learned my lesson a while back, so I'm not trying to start a troll fest here...

...Is Pathfinder any good? I hear complaints that it's too derivative, but yet it seems to be a bigger change from 3.5 than 3.5 was from 3...

...I personally felt the entire 3ed system got out of hand at high levels (as opposed to 4ed which I thought was out of hand at 1st level!) I liked Paizo's apparent efforts, but doubted their ability to fix these things while maintaining compatibility with d20...

...I know some folk in real life that solely play 4ed, but I don't care for their opinions since they were always among the most one dimensional gamers I've had at my table(all about powers and numbers and lacking any real heft). I know this isn't true of all post 3ed roleplayers, but sadly, this is all I've seen...

So, people here have "inaccurate opinions", you slam 4e, 3e, and Pathfinder, and admit you trolled before, but we're supposed to think this was not a troll?

LeStryfe79

First Post
Once again, I see no reason why I am being ridiculed and no one here has made an attempt to engage my post with possitive feedback. What IS going on here??? I really feel as though I am at a loss here... :(

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
Crafty Games, makers of Spycraft, came out with a slightly more streamlined Mastercraft system, first unveiled in their fantasy offering Fantasy Craft.

Might not be great or good news to everyone, but I certainly like their ideas.

S'mon

Legend
Ignoring the troll question:

I started off not liking 4e, but the Character Builder and then the Monster Builder software turned it into a very playable game, so now I like it. :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, man, a lot of your post is pretty provocative (which I get is I guess part of your style?), but I think the core of it is probably worth discussing. So here's what I see as the core of it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):
I just want to know how RPGs in general have improved over the course of the last year and a half...I guess I'm looking for a little optimism and excitement for RPG things not created by Blizzard, Bioware or Square-Enix. Anything good to report? Thank you for your time!

Pathfinder is chugging along nicely with a lot of support. They're basically the vanguard of the OGL movement at this point, and their fans are pretty dangnab loyal. ;) 4e is growing out of it's shell a bit (IMO), trying some exciting new directions in design with the PHB3, and a lot of folks are pumped about the new setting being released for 4e, the classic Dark Sun.

There's a handful of other cool stuff out there, like Trailblazer and the e20 project, kind of trying to forge ahead in their own way, but most of my knowledge is coming from D&D 4e. Which, if you didn't like it, you probably still don't like it, so there's not a lot to discuss, I suppose. ;)

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Bad Axe Games' Trailblazer is the product that Pathfinder should have been, IMO. And the PDF version has a nice and soft US$5 price tag right here on the ENWorld store.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Whereas I personally think the true strength of an RPG lies in it's everyday players that wouldn't necessarily take the time to join an online forum.
Given that here you are, how do you know? :p ;)

OK, I'll nibble, discarding the rest.

Is Pathfinder any good? I hear complaints that it's too derivative, but yet it seems to be a bigger change from 3.5 than 3.5 was from 3. I personally felt the entire 3ed system got out of hand at high levels (. . .) I liked Paizo's apparent efforts, but doubted their ability to fix these things while maintaining compatibility with d20.
Yes, it's good, and seems to be doing quite well for itself. You are not the only internet poster who has expressed some scepticism along precisely those lines, either. Hardly. :) And yet, there are apparently many others who are content with what Paizo has done.

I guess I'm looking for a little optimism and excitement for RPG things not created by Blizzard, Bioware or Square-Enix. Anything good to report? Thank you for your time! :)
There are more TTRPGs now than ever before. People are still playing them and enjoying them all around the world. And, on occasion, some start up discussions about them. We can learn much from one another, at the speed of teh arpatubes.

It doesn't get much better than that, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads