What's Happening In D&D At PAX Prime?

PAX Prime is coming. It's a gaming convention in Seattle, and the one that WotC currently uses for panels or announcements rather than Gen Con (which is used for gaming). The convention takes place August 28-31. Here's what you can expect to see from Wizards of the Coast (who will also have a booth in the Exhibitors Hall from Friday through Monday).

PAX Prime is coming. It's a gaming convention in Seattle, and the one that WotC currently uses for panels or announcements rather than Gen Con (which is used for gaming). The convention takes place August 28-31. Here's what you can expect to see from Wizards of the Coast (who will also have a booth in the Exhibitors Hall from Friday through Monday).

• Acquisitions, Inc (Fri 8.30pm; Benaroya Hall) -- Armed with the latest monster-slaying technology, the heroes of Acquisitions Incorporated undertake a perilous journey into a demon-infested Underdark. Dare to descend with Jim Darkmagic, Omin Dran, Binwin Bronzebottom, and Viari as they search for a legendary dark elf swordsman who, in his quest to put an end to the machinations of the demon lords, has lost his mind. Can the dual wands of Jim Darkmagic overcome the twin scimitars of Drizzt Do’Urden and rescue him from the brink of madness?
  • Sword Coast Legends (Sat 1pm, Wyvern Theater) -- You’ve played the Sword Coast Legends demo but there’s still more to see! The SCL team will show off the campaign building tools and share what they’ve got coming in the Rage of Demons DLC later this year.
  • Building the Best Worlds in Game (Sunday 11.30am, Seagate Theater) -- Between Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons, Wizards of the Coast has built world after world, year after year. What are the secrets to the process? How can you build your own worlds? Our panel of experts bridging the two games offer advice, and then answer your questions.
  • Ask a Dungeon Master (Monday 10.30am; Sasquatch Theatre) -- Dungeon Mastering is an art and the skills and perspective are as unique as the story being told. Join Dungeon Master extraordinaire, Chris Perkins, to discuss tips, tricks, rules and whether it's kosher to kill a halfling in the first session. All levels of Dungeon Masters welcome from seasoned grognards to those interested in taking up the mantle.
  • Design-a-Dungeon (Monday, 3pm; Wyvern Theatre) -- There are a lot of elements that go into making a satisfying dungeon adventure. We're going to throw all that out the window and crowdsource the whole shebang. After an hour, we'll have created an outline for an awesome adventure - or a complete farce.
  • There's also a bunch of gaming going on. Harried in Hillsfar runs every hour, and Shackles of Blood runs every 4 hours.

Harried in Hillsfar

In the village of Elventree, near the oppressive city of Hillsfar, a recent string of strange occurrences has the locals on edge. The factions have gathered here on the borders of the forest of Cormanthor to determine what’s happening. Is this the machinations of Hillsfar, or something more?

This is an introductory adventure given in 1 hour mini-missions. Perfect for playing your first game of D&D.

Shackles of Blood

The Red Plumes have increased patrols in the region surrounding Hillsfar, and a string of disappearances has followed in their wake. Naturally, this has roused the suspicion of the factions. Join your factions and find out the truth behind the missing farmers.

Be among the first to play this 4-hour adventure in its regional preview!

[video=youtube;KipPMgbpKzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KipPMgbpKzk[/video]

I was expecting the same as what other game companies did at Gen Con: Let us know what WotC is working on for the year. More videos of how a GM can put monsters in front of players in Sword Coast doesn't interest me.

But they've announced what they're working on for the year. Out of the Abyss and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

After Out of the Abyss is out everywhere, they'll announce the spring 2016 adventure path (they'll probably give it a couple of weeks to not cut into the current release's spotlight time). So there's really not much for them to talk about at Gen Con or PAX. I'm sure there'll be goodies and surprises for booth visitors or event attendees, but they're not really going to dedicate a panel to Q&A over what's in the SCAG, you know?

Gen Con is more centralized. I wonder who can afford to go to PAX and that is not even RPG focused.

Don't know about that....I can plan a trip to PAX much more easily than Gen Con. Will probably (finally) make PAX next year. In fair disclosure I lived in Seattle for ten years so that helps me out, but in terms of raw cost in travel/lodgin/food and such not seeing a difference.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Gen Con is more centralized. I wonder who can afford to go to PAX and that is not even RPG focused.

The West of the U.S. is the second most populated region (the South is the most populated). GenCon takes place closest to the two least populated regions (Northeast and Midwest). PAX is a WHOLE LOT cheaper for me to go to than GenCon. GenCon is like a friggen expedition to another continent practically for me, coming from Los Angeles. It's 1,814 miles. For scale, that's almost the exact distance it is from here to Mexico City, and not far from Central America. And since Indianapolis is not a major hub airport, the cost of flights is much higher as well.

Seattle, on the other hand, is a distance I've driven in a (very long) day. It also has a lot more flights in and out of it's airport, making flights in general cheaper, and specifically a lot cheaper from the closer Los Angeles airports. It's also a much bigger city, which means it has a lot more hotels, which means the hotel prices are lower.

Pretty much by any measure, PAX would be a heck of a lot cheaper for me to go to than GenCon. And I think it's safe to say that for most people who live in the West of the U.S..

Alphastream

Adventurer
PAX Prime is a great convention, far bigger than Gen Con, and can be a great way for RPG companies to gain converts from digital gamers. Pathfinder, Pelgrane, Catalyst, and others have grown their presence over the last 5 years. WotC has actually shrunk its once dominant presence (this year the Annex will be entirely for Magic - which is likely a huge spend for WotC... a few years back the top floors were for Halo, Magic on one level, D&D in the basement). This year the Wotc focus is on the seminars, video game at the booth, and Acquisitions Inc. Volunteers have stepped up to run the events, which are at the Olive hotel (info has now been added to the bottom of the page to which Morrus linked). There is a lot for the average RPG gamer to do, and it can be very rewarding to be amongst such a different crowd: young casual gamers, new gamers, families with kids, couples, etc.

aramis erak

Legend

Only for driving within the contiguous 48 states and south-central Canada. Seattle is a HUGELY more accessible air-hub than anywhere in Wisconsin (original home of Gencon) or Indianna (current).

For those of us not in the US midwest, GenCon is at least 1, if not two, planes. Seattle is a major hub. I can get to seattle for about $300 round trip... GenCon? over $700. Plus, GenCon, I'd have to book many months in advance. Seattle is an order of magnitude larger a city, and has a higher capacity. Pax is a large blip on Seattle's accomodations scene; GenCon almost totally consumes Indy's.

Most of us can get to Seattle from the nearest regional hub airport on one flight - including Berlin, London, Edinburgh, Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, Honolulu, Anchorage, NYC, DFW, Ottawa, Orlando, Miami, Madrid, Juneau... Even Windsor Ontario (tho' that's by entering the US by car, then flying from Detroit).

Hell, Anchorage is easier than Indy to get to for PacRim and UK denizens. Most of the places with direct flights to Seattle have direct flights to Anchorage, too.

Remove ads

Remove ads