WHAT'S IN THE BOX? A Look Inside The ELEMENTAL EVIL Board Game!

Here's a quick look at what you can expect inside the Elemental Evil boardgame box. It's a little small and lo-res, but you can make it out. The game releases on April 30th for $64.99 and "features multiple scenarios, challenging quests and cooperative game play designed for 1-5 players. The contents can also be combined with other D&D Adventure System Cooperative play board games, including The Legend of Drizzt and Castle Ravenloft." Thanks to Eduardo for the scoop!

Here's a quick look at what you can expect inside the Elemental Evil boardgame box. It's a little small and lo-res, but you can make it out. The game releases on April 30th for $64.99 and "features multiple scenarios, challenging quests and cooperative game play designed for 1-5 players. The contents can also be combined with other D&D Adventure System Cooperative play board games, including The Legend of Drizzt and Castle Ravenloft." Thanks to Eduardo for the scoop!

ee_boardgame.jpg

DnD_EE_BG.png

Dire Bare

Legend
You know, I've bought almost every book and item WotC has put out since they put out 3.0. I have 2 of the three board games that put out that is like this. I'm done. I don't think they going to support the RPG and if they aren't going to support it then I am not going to support.

They are supporting the RPG. Maybe not the way you'd prefer, and if you want to bail that's okay of course. But I'm kinda tired of hearing this.

Letting those editors go really got me thinking. It became obvious to me that they aren't going to be doing the magazines without editors. So why am I giving them a monthly subscription? I'm to the point where I hope Hasbro sells WotC and someone who actually wants to build on the game can take it over.

There are no magazines. You should only be paying the monthly D&D Insider subscription if you are playing 4E and using the tools. Why ARE you giving them a monthly subscription?

Saxon1974

Explorer
Yea the naming is silly...but honestly I don't really care much. I wonder how much if any of the original temple of elemental evil stuff will be in it. I'm more interested in which minis and tiles are included.....pic is too small to tell. Hopefully this also introduces some new tactics and tokens to include in other expansions similar to how the earlier games in the series did. Initial impression is not that impressed. Hope its something unique and not a dungeoun crawl with generic tiles that looks too much like Ashardalon. Still glad another game being made but if too similar to what I already have probably won't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dire Bare

Legend
Really?

Just for clarity: this is the Temple of Elemental Evil board game, not the Elemental Evil board game, and not a board game titled The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Forgive me but I'm irritated by this.

Really?!?! It's "a" ToEE not "The" ToEE that's got you irritated? Wow. It's a board game, inspired by the original but based on the new storyline. Don't like it, that's fine, but get over it.

The idea that WotC is committing heresy by taking a storyline that was LOOSELY set in a prior setting and using it to inspire a new storyline in a setting people actually buy books for, is way past tired.

The things some folks get upset over never ceases to amaze me.

ADDED THOUGHTS:
All of the classic modules that were "set" in Greyhawk were very loosely so. Greyhawk itself, as published before the setting had it's own logo, was a very loose and open world intended for the DM to modify and make their own at will. The modules were only nominally set in Greyhawk, and weren't tightly tied to the setting. The intent was to either use them as is, or easily drop them into your own home campaign.

So why all the grief (in general, not specifically from DMZ) about WotC taking inspiration and dropping the basic story ideas in Ed Greenwood's home campaign . . . . . that also happens to be the most popular D&D setting ever that sells the most books and pleases the most fans?

I didn't get the drama over the Tyranny of Dragons storyline being in the Realms and not in the Dragonlance setting, and I get this drama even less.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Really?!?! It's "a" ToEE not "The" ToEE that's got you irritated? Wow. It's a board game, inspired by the original but based on the new storyline. Don't like it, that's fine, but get over it.

So you don't get it either. Noted.

The things some folks get upset over never ceases to amaze me.

All I'm saying is I'm going to be beyond furious when they rename Dungeons & Dragons "The Neverwinter RPG" at Gen Con 2016.

Despite my bile, I actually do have faith that Wizards is going to see their multiverse promises through. I just wish they'd do something -- anything -- that actually reflects those intentions. Because every time one of these products comes out that is clearly inspired by a classic, neglected D&D setting but /once again/ set on the Sword Coast, I start to think that the big reveal at Gen Con 2015 will be that there's a suburb of Waterdeep called Multiverse.

And yes, I know there have only been two products.

So why all the grief (in general, not specifically from DMZ) about WotC taking inspiration and dropping the basic story ideas in Ed Greenwood's home campaign . . . . . that also happens to be the most popular D&D setting ever that sells the most books and pleases the most fans?

I think we're just /anxious/, Dire Bare. Some of us think of D&D as being a holistic setting, either because we're Spelljammer fans, or Planescape fans, or fans of multiple settings, or just because we have a broad perspective on things.

I didn't object to THE Temple of Elemental Evil moving to Nerath in D&D4 because the purpose of the Points of Light setting was to unify all of D&D. That's a strategy I can get behind, and D&D5 has the same stated purpose. I'm still excited about it, even more so because they have promised to support the individual settings as a larger whole rather than rolling them all together.

D&D4 broke its covenant by revealing that Nerath wasn't a unifying setting at all, it was just a holding pen for the stuff the developers didn't care about elaborating (i.e., everything that wasn't Forgotten Realms, Eberron, or Dark Sun). When I see "a" Temple of Elemental Evil set on the Sword Coast I get the same vibe -- someone doesn't care.

I admit that ToEE is not the strongest example of a setting-specific element. Nor is Tiamat. But they are symbolic, and at the end of the day this game and its lore are all about symbology.

If I'm irritated I am irritated because Wizards' words and deeds describe different courses of action, one respectful of that symbology and one disrespectful. I'm not saying they've betrayed us, just that I'd like some assurance that they understand the symbology and that when they visit the crash site in the Barrier Peaks, or the Tower of High Sorcery at Wayreth, or Kalak's ziggurat, or the Mournlands, they're not a day's journey outside Luskan.

Dire Bare

Legend
Despite my bile, I actually do have faith that Wizards is going to see their multiverse promises through. I just wish they'd do something -- anything -- that actually reflects those intentions. Because every time one of these products comes out that is clearly inspired by a classic, neglected D&D setting but /once again/ set on the Sword Coast, I start to think that the big reveal at Gen Con 2015 will be that there's a suburb of Waterdeep called Multiverse.

The core books clearly show the default setting of the new game is that there is no default setting. The classic D&D cosmology (the "multiverse") is assumed, and shout-outs to most of the classic settings are riddled throughout the three books. It's also clear that the Forgotten Realms setting is the first among equals, not due to quality or "worth" but simply popularity.

Publishing most of their adventures and sourcebooks for the Realms doesn't change any of that. If we never see a Greyhawk or Mystara book, that still doesn't change any of the above. The older non-Realms settings aren't being "neglected" as if it were some sort of insult to fans, they just aren't receiving the spotlight because it doesn't really make sense for them to do so.

If WotC wants to publish an adventure that is fairly generic high fantasy, even if inspired by an older storyline, it makes the most sense to put it into the Forgotten Realms. There just aren't enough fans left of Greyhawk, Mystara, and Dragonlance to do it any other way.

Now if they come up with a storyline that pushes the boundaries of the D&D core, it makes perfect sense to use a setting (brand-new or existing like Dark Sun) that incorporates the unique ideas. Dark Sun and Eberron are good candidates for this, as would an entirely new setting.

Doesn't mean we will never see a Greyhawk, Mystara, or Dragonlance RPG book in the future. But I won't be holding my breath, and I won't cry if it never comes to pass. And I LOOOOOOVVVEEE Mystara. These types of projects would be perfect for Kickstarter, although I doubt WotC would use crowd-funding to bring back the classic settings (too corporate).

D&D4 broke its covenant by revealing that Nerath wasn't a unifying setting at all, it was just a holding pen for the stuff the developers didn't care about elaborating (i.e., everything that wasn't Forgotten Realms, Eberron, or Dark Sun). When I see "a" Temple of Elemental Evil set on the Sword Coast I get the same vibe -- someone doesn't care.

If I'm irritated I am irritated because Wizards' words and deeds describe different courses of action, one respectful of that symbology and one disrespectful. I'm not saying they've betrayed us, just that I'd like some assurance that they understand the symbology and that when they visit the crash site in the Barrier Peaks, or the Tower of High Sorcery at Wayreth, or Kalak's ziggurat, or the Mournlands, they're not a day's journey outside Luskan.

No one at WotC broke any covenants or promises, and to say that the D&D team doesn't "care" is very silly. Everyone who has ever been on the D&D design team is a D&D fan who landed the most awesomest job ever, to work on D&D. All of them "care". They (both the individual designers and the teams) don't necessarily have the same opinions and priorities as SOME gamers, but to say that they don't care is just taking things waaaay to far.

There is no disrespect, no betrayal, no disconnect between words and deeds. It's just fans that care just a bit too much about the niggling minutae of "canon" and that read incorrectly between-the-lines on marketing and tweets and just about every communication from WotC.

I'm not saying fans shouldn't care or shouldn't be passionate. Or shouldn't have a favorite setting and hope beyond hope their setting gets an awesome new treatment. I'm hoping for a giant, full-color, detailed treatment of the Mystara setting! But to get upset over perceived (but unreal) disrespect and neglect is just beyond silly . . . all IMO, of course.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
The core books clearly show the default setting of the new game is that there is no default setting. The classic D&D cosmology (the "multiverse") is assumed, and shout-outs to most of the classic settings are riddled throughout the three books. It's also clear that the Forgotten Realms setting is the first among equals, not due to quality or "worth" but simply popularity.

I don't disagree with you, and I was excited about this development at release, but I think it is important to note that the core books contain a single instance of actual multi-setting crunch, and that's the association of official setting deities with 5th Edition Cleric domains. Everything else barely even qualifies as flavor text. It's sidebar examples. I don't call that a default setting. I call it an encouraging token effort.

Publishing most of their adventures and sourcebooks for the Realms doesn't change any of that. If we never see a Greyhawk or Mystara book, that still doesn't change any of the above.

We have a /fundamental/ disagreement here. It absolutely does.

Doesn't mean we will never see a Greyhawk, Mystara, or Dragonlance RPG book in the future. But I won't be holding my breath, and I won't cry if it never comes to pass.

I am, and I will. That's my prerogative.

And I LOOOOOOVVVEEE Mystara.

The Grand Duchy of Karameikos and the Kingdom of Ierendi are places I am really hoping to see D&D5 visit again.

These types of projects would be perfect for Kickstarter, although I doubt WotC would use crowd-funding to bring back the classic settings (too corporate).

Agreed.

It's just fans that care just a bit too much about the niggling minutae of "canon" and that read incorrectly between-the-lines on marketing and tweets and just about every communication from WotC.

Look, this is my thing. I don't care about the rules. I don't care about the OGL. I care about the canon. The story is the most important thing about this game to me. But I am a sharply critical person, and I have not misinterpreted Wizards' intentions for this edition. If things do not turn out the way I am expecting, someone has been disingenuous.

But to get upset over perceived (but unreal) disrespect and neglect is just beyond silly . . . all IMO, of course.

If I have implied that I am upset about /anything/ beyond the fact that things might not be turning out the way I want them to, then I apologize -- I'm acutely aware that is where my rights in this matter end abruptly.

Dire Bare

Legend
Look, this is my thing. I don't care about the rules. I don't care about the OGL. I care about the canon. The story is the most important thing about this game to me. But I am a sharply critical person, and I have not misinterpreted Wizards' intentions for this edition. If things do not turn out the way I am expecting, someone has been disingenuous.

If WotC, as an organization, is saying one thing to fans and doing something different, that would be true. But they are not. They may be doing things differently that you would want, but they are not being disingenuous, purposefully or accidentally. It's the reason they are keeping things so close to the vest, is fans keep taking what they say out-of-context and inventing "promises" that are later "broken".

If I have implied that I am upset about /anything/ beyond the fact that things might not be turning out the way I want them to, then I apologize -- I'm acutely aware that is where my rights in this matter end abruptly.

Likewise. If I have given the impression that your opinion doesn't matter, I apologize.

Remove ads

Remove ads