D&D 4E What's so bad about 4th edition? What's so good about other systems?

mudlock

First Post
You CAN make a pretty usable 1 page sheet, but when I say simple I suspect most people don't actually appreciate just how DIRT simple OD&D characters were. You had 6 stats, HP, AC, XP, GOLD, CLASS, LEVEL, your weapon, damage, any items you carried, and that was about it. A thief had abilities (but you could look those up) and casters had a couple spells. I recall routinely putting 4 PCs on a sheet before starting a game.

I see your point. 4e's added skills (for everyone, not just thieves) and powers (encompassing caster's spells) for everyone, and on top of that, feats, race as a distinct element from class, NADs (although... saving throws? Weren't those in OD&D? I didn't really get started until 2nd ed.) I don't think I could fit 4, but one could certainly fit 2 fully-stated 1st level 4e characters on a sheet, and it wouldn't be cramped.

But the proposed "test" wasn't to fit 4 on 1 sheet, it was to fit 1, good for up to about level 7, on one sheet. I'm not saying OD&D wasn't dirt simple, just that it meets the arbitrary test imposed by an arbitrary poster on the internet.

catastrophic

First Post
I meant to say that fighters were feared melee fighters.
. . .still not seeing it.

I still think that the classes lack something unique, perhaps I could call them unique mechanics, as opposed to unique powers based on the same mechanic. Different mechanics that will make each class shine, really shine, in some aspects of the game.
I don't think any 4e fas has a problem wiht this idea, and in truth, there are mechanics like that in 4e- they don't always work though, and the psionic classes are a clear example of this.

The problem people have is when people act as if the kind of design we saw in previous editions was not only positive, but lucid. There was nothing lucid about how fighters, rogues, and full progression spellcasters related to each other in previous editions. It was just garbage design.

Adding balance was a very good thing 4e did. The classes are not perfectly balanced, in fac tmore balance is needed for some neglected class builds like whirling slayers and some of the v shaped classes, but the status quo is still vastly superior to the rtap-laden, caster-dominated design of other editions.

Contrary to what the haters may claim, the powers systme is a good thing, and rejecting it is not good design. It allows both players and desginers to better compare and understand classes, and that means people get better pick and build the class they want, instead of being trickedby bad design, or forced to adopt some wierd spiked chain build to make their class as fun to play as the other classes at the table.

Wotc has tried to mod the class system several times, with varying success. Essentials does this, as does psionics- the verdict is stil out on both of these, but i think the problem wiht the classes is less their balance, which is ok, and more their inability to be juged by the same standards another classes, by a potential player.

I certainly think that strong, unique mechanics would be a good thing for classes and power sources to have. But they have to exist within the context or a strong, reliable, and legible class system, in order for them to be well balanced, and easy for a player to understand and compare to other classes.

If anything, a 'strong core mechanic' mandate would enhance the strengths of 4e design. It kinda exists at present, but it needs to be more dominant, so that you can look at say, a defender, look at their challenge power, and understand how they operate in their role, without having to look over all their powers to see how thngs actually pan out in play. OTOH, this frees up powers to be more fun at being powers, rather than doing double duty backing up the core class mechanic.

I can also imagine similar mechanics by power source would be a great and characterful way to give each class a 'seconday role'. If each divine character has the same 'use this to heal a dude or turn undead' power, and each primal character has a 'get some temp hp' power, and so on, then players can easily what their pcs does, b comparing those effects, and each poer source has the kind of clear thementic qualities that 4e was flirting with, but needs to implement more clearly.

Last edited:

Siberys

Adventurer
Let's see...

What I like...

The System is almost entirely combat
What? Why would that be a positive? Well, it's actually really simple. I don't need rules telling me how to roleplay. I can do that myself. Rules get in the way here. There is only one place I want rules, and that is to adjudicate combat. Everything else is a mass of distracting numbers - I might as well be reading a monthly romance for all of the service the rules do me in such a case. All they're doing is slowing the game down outside of combat.

The system's fluff is disassociated from its crunch
Again, this is touted as a huge negative, but I love it. Why? If I am free to describe the crunch in any way I want, so long as I match the description to the mechanical effect, then I can have any character I want, regardless of what the rules tell me. I don't want rules that make sense from an ecology or physics or whatever standpoint. That is not the realm of rules, and any crossover is liable to cause issues.

Houseruling
Houserules are easy to design. The system (not the tools for the system, but the system itself) is particularly well-suited to houseruling because of how tightly it was made. Similar house rules in 3.x would have far-reaching, often disastrous consequences. The only thing hard to design is classes, but only because of the power glut.

What I don't...

Combat speed
This is minor though. I only dislike it for minor fights, and I think I'm going to move to a 'skill challenge with variable healing surge costs' as a way to show minor combats.

Glut
I don't mind new races. Classes are good too. But there are way too many feats and powers. I'd have preferred a Savage Worlds-esque 'Few powers, but with trappings to differentiate', and for feats to have no flat numerical bonuses. No +1 attack, or +1 attack with fire, or +1 attack when on fire... No. Those are functions of the character's basic ability scores as a measure of talent, their level as a measure of his badassitude, and their class as a measure of training.

Treasure
I don't know who said it (I think it was in a thread about what people would want in 5e), but someone said they wanted magic Items optional - 'can, not should'. Hell, I might just use inherent bonuses and pop magic items in as another silo, alongside feats and powers.

Last edited:

I see your point. 4e's added skills (for everyone, not just thieves) and powers (encompassing caster's spells) for everyone, and on top of that, feats, race as a distinct element from class, NADs (although... saving throws? Weren't those in OD&D? I didn't really get started until 2nd ed.) I don't think I could fit 4, but one could certainly fit 2 fully-stated 1st level 4e characters on a sheet, and it wouldn't be cramped.

But the proposed "test" wasn't to fit 4 on 1 sheet, it was to fit 1, good for up to about level 7, on one sheet. I'm not saying OD&D wasn't dirt simple, just that it meets the arbitrary test imposed by an arbitrary poster on the internet.

Yeah, I was just observing how incredibly simply characters were. Yes, characters had saving throws, but every PC had the same ones (based on class) so they were not generally written on the sheet. There weren't any defenses except AC, spells simply always 'hit' and you then made a save, so saves were a kind of defense. Some saves in AD&D got a WIS bonus, but in OD&D there was nothing like that (some items or spell effects could grant bonuses). Anyway, yeah, it was dirt simple. An OD&D fighter had no build choices at all, neither did a thief. Cleric and Magic User had to pick spells (clerics didn't even get one until 3rd level). Imagine d20 Microlite, OD&D is simpler than that... In practice by the time you got through half a dozen levels you'd have some interesting items and whatever crazy stuff the DM inflicted on your character. Honestly, that level of simplicity can be a real virtue.

Let's see...

What I like...

The System is almost entirely combat
What? Why would that be a positive? Well, it's actually really simple. I don't need rules telling me how to roleplay. I can do that myself. Rules get in the way here. There is only one place I want rules, and that is to adjudicate combat. Everything else is a mass of distracting numbers - I might as well be reading a monthly romance for all of the service the rules do me in such a case. All they're doing is slowing the game down outside of combat.

The system's fluff is disassociated from its crunch
Again, this is touted as a huge negative, but I love it. Why? If I am free to describe the crunch in any way I want, so long as I match the description to the mechanical effect, then I can have any character I want, regardless of what the rules tell me. I don't want rules that make sense from an ecology or physics or whatever standpoint. That is not the realm of rules, and any crossover is liable to cause issues.

Houseruling
Houserules are easy to design. The system (not the tools for the system, but the system itself) is particularly well-suited to houseruling because of how tightly it was made. Similar house rules in 3.x would have far-reaching, often disastrous consequences. The only thing hard to design is classes, but only because of the power glut.

What I don't...

Combat speed
This is minor though. I only dislike it for minor fights, and I think I'm going to move to a 'skill challenge with variable healing surge costs' as a way to show minor combats.

Glut
I don't mind new races. Classes are good too. But there are way too many feats and powers. I'd have preferred a Savage Worlds-esque 'Few powers, but with trappings to differentiate', and for feats to have no flat numerical bonuses. No +1 attack, or +1 attack with fire, or +1 attack when on fire... No. Those are functions of the character's basic ability scores as a measure of talent, their level as a measure of his badassitude, and their class as a measure of training.

Treasure
I don't know who said it (I think it was in a thread about what people would want in 5e), but someone said they wanted magic Items optional - 'can, not should'. Hell, I might just use inherent bonuses and pop magic items in as another silo, alongside feats and powers.

I think combat could in general go a bit quicker, but yeah, this is an excellent list.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I play my own 4e clone-compilation, which is less different from 4e than PF is from 3.5. But since you asked, here are the major fixes I've added to correct what I don't like about 4e:
I've begun playing C4 as well. It's 4e with all the glitches fixed!

Except for switching to the hex map. I love me my hex map, but beggars can't be choosers right? ;)

I've got to say, I've never had trouble fitting a 4e character on one sheet either. I've never tried two or more on one sheet, but really, what's the point? Death isn't nearly as common in 4e as it was in OD&D, so that second set of stats will probably end up as wasted space.

Lordhawkins9

First Post
I've been playing 4th since it came out, but once I'm done with my current campaign...I'm going back to 1st edition. Here's two reasons why:

1) For years everyone wanted "balance". Well...WotC delivered. Now all classes are so balanced against each other...you may as only have one class. Your fighter wanted to heal some?...don't bother classing into Cleric, just take this fighter power that lets you spend a healing serge. A world in which magic exists is not a world where everyone is equal.

The 20th level Wizard who lives in the tower is the badest mo-fo on the continent. He got there because his friend, the fighter, was there to cover his butt through the early years.

The fighter swings a weapon, the thief picks locks, the cleric heals, and the wizard blasts things. All have their ups and downs...that's why they WORK TOGETHER.

Now you can grab any 4-5 characters and be none the worse for wear. Boring.

2) Speaking of a world of Magic…where’d the magic go? Every class has their own powers. A lot of them. The Fighter has his dailies, the Wizard has his…and they all do about the same thing. When the Wizard throws one of his dailies…no one cares what it’s called. There are 10+ classes each with 100+ powers. I doubt that many casual players can accurately name any power when given a description.

Before 4E you could find “Fireball” in spellbooks, scrolls, on wands, staves, necklaces, and anyone picking up wizard spells, evocation, or any one of dozens of creatures could cast it. Fireball had meaning. You knew one when you saw it. Now? It’s one power out of over 1,000. No special meaning or recognition. Bland.

There are other reasons, but these two are pretty big in my mind.

mudlock

First Post
For years everyone wanted "balance". Well...WotC delivered. [...]

Now you can grab any 4-5 characters and be none the worse for wear. Boring.

Which just goes to show... what? That no publisher should ever listen to its fan base? And yet, here you are, talking.

The best party is still one that covers all four roles, and I'd point out that your iconic "fighter, thief, cleric, wizard" party does that just fine (hey, almost like they planned it that way!) A party can still do really well without following that mold though, which I think is kind of nice. You can do a world without divine powers easily (instead of kludgefully; hurray for new Dark Sun!) because you don't NEED a cleric just to NOT DIE all the time, but a cleric is really good at making you not die, if you want to be the kind of hero who makes people not die. You don't need to feel useless as a wizard at low level and useless as a fighter at high level. I LIKE that balance. Maybe it's all more-similar than is optimal, but it's certainly, in my mind, closer to optimal than the old way of doing things.

Before 4E you could find “Fireball” in spellbooks, scrolls, on wands, staves, necklaces, and anyone picking up wizard spells, evocation, or any one of dozens of creatures could cast it. Fireball had meaning. You knew one when you saw it. Now? It’s one power out of over 1,000. No special meaning or recognition. Bland.

Fireball was ALWAYS bland. It just did damage. On the other hand, with no coherent concepts for forced movement, ongoing damage, or status effects, pretty much everything just did damage (or it had 6 column-inches describing what was effectively a whole new subsystem for this spell's special effects.)

Sure, that made fireball simple, so everyone knew the rules for it, and effective, so it was worth knowing them; so yeah, it got re-used a lot, and that made it ICONIC. Now, there are still lots of powers that are big area burst fire damage, but with the coherent system for powers in 4e there's no gain in referring the DM to "fireball" when you can just concisely describe a new big area burst fire power. But fireball is still as simple and bland as it always was, it's just that everything else a wizard can do is cooler and JUST AS EASY to use now. (Not to mention that it's no longer a wizard's job to just do damage, so fireball is kinda out of scope now anyway; they should've kept the name "fireball" for sorcerers, but can you IMAGINE the internet-whining if there were no fireball in PHB1?)

OnlineDM

Adventurer
[MENTION=95206]Lordhawkins9[/MENTION]: Thank you for sharing your perspective. I have to say as someone who hasn't been into the game very long that I actually enjoy the balance. I like that a 20th-level fighter is as much a force to be feared as a 20th-level wizard, but I know that this was VERY different in the earlier editions of the game.

It's useful to see a different perspective from my own. Some players really like the "Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards" phenomenon; I personally don't, but it's enlightening to see the perspective of someone with a different point of view.

Halloween Jack

First Post
- I didn't like the way that the build up to 4th Edition trashed older editions as well as making what I felt were somewhat disparaging remarks toward some play styles.
Where was this? Nothing in gaming baffles me more than the assertion I see going around that WotC rejected them. All I remember of it was a video with a dragon and a troll, and "Mearls changes rust monster stats, gamers crap pants, scream."

Argyle King

Legend
Where was this? Nothing in gaming baffles me more than the assertion I see going around that WotC rejected them. All I remember of it was a video with a dragon and a troll, and "Mearls changes rust monster stats, gamers crap pants, scream."

I'll have to dig through some of the old articles (if they're even still up,) but I remember there being an interview with one of the designers about why some of the skills were taken out of the game, and he said something along the lines of "How man times have you actually used ____ in game? If you have, you're probably not playing the way the game is intended to be played anyway."

There were also several articles which completely blasted 3rd Edition. I would never suggest 3rd didn't have problems, but some of those problems were exaggerated a great deal during the build up to 4th Edition. The funny thing is that some of the problems and issues which were cited as being terrible have started to squeak back into 4th Edition; some of the Essentials classes seem to superficially resemble 3E.

Remove ads