• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's so great about gestalt characters?

delkain

First Post
I find them pretty good actually.

I am just beginning my campaign with 6 Gestalt Characters in the group. I plan on only converting major NPC's to the Gestalt Rules. I used 32 non-standard point buy for the ability score generation. This really made a difference. I found that most of my players had to make some hard choices of where to put their good stats. True that they will be able to last a bit longer due to having more spells, but their DC's may not be as high. Most of the time you will be choosing a "Primary" class to favor with your stats and using the abilities of the second to support the primary. Also while you get a lot of class skills, you don't get enough points to act in 2 roles. (IE a Gestalt Rogue/Sorcerer gets more class skills than a Rogue, but still has the same amount of skill points.) Also feat choices are limited with any combination but a Gestalt Fighter/(Whatever).

I am only doing minor boosting to my campaign. Not every enemy will be a Gestalt character. So far it looks good.

Delkain

DerianCypher

First Post
I'm running a campaign with gestalt characters and recharge magic. I'd say the gestalt definately gives the characters a specific RP feel to them. One of my players is playing a bard/pal (I bent the alignment resitriction b/c it made a lot of sense how the char described it), who does more gregorian chants than anything and the secind player is a barb/fight. Haven't seen the second in combat yet but it looks good.

With both variants and with an NPC cleric/sor they are able to take on encounters between 1 and 3 levels above their own.

DC

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Thanee said:
Is anyone actually a non-spellcaster under those rules? Kinda makes no sense to play two warrior classes... ;)

I dunno. A Fighter/Barbarian would be very, very good at, well, FIGHTING.

Paladin/Fighter and Paladin/Cleric would give two distinct feels to the character -- both viable.

You are right in that the main point of gestalts is to give diversity in a small party. Not diversifying defeats the purpose.

But as already pointed out it is not quite as over the top as you might think if you keep the stat points tight. It is a common enough practice for DMs who want a bit of extra glamor to the PCs to use generous stat generation. Sometimes you get extremely focused, deadly PCs that way. OTOH, if you keep the stats tights, e.g. the old DMG array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), you can get the same power level with a bit less of the focus. YMMV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads