• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the best D&D product EVAR?

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I'm going to lump...the Red/Blue/Green/Black/Gold boxes. My first rpg purchase was the 2e PHB in 1989, but had no players and got bored reading it (I was in Middle School, go figure)

Found a group using the Red box, joined, and fell in love. The following boxes only drove my imagination more. Powerful characters, relams to run, God-hood!

The Rules Cyclopedia SHOULD be here as well, but it was truly those flimsy boxed sets that started it all for me. :D

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Planescape Boxed Set; because it helped teach me how to make a campaign setting as great as it could be.
3.0 PHB is a very close second; because it allowed me to play the game the way I wanted to play it.

Asmo

First Post
Another vote for 3.0 PHB.
I loved 2 ed. but 3.0 just blew my mind away. It was like a revelation, this is how the game should be played. Great stuff!!
Sunless Citadel is a close second for me: great adventure and my first try as a dm, it was great fun!

Asmo

diaglo

Adventurer
Wombat said:
(...getting in before Diaglo again!)

The Three Little Books -- OD&D (pre-1st Ed)

No, in terms of physical quality they were not the best, but the utterly changed the face of gaming!

To me, that qualifies :)

Arrrrgggghhhhh... i gotta move to another shore if i want to get ahead of you...

Ditto Wombat

Jupp

Explorer
-The Planescape Campaign setting because it was so deep and complex. And it did bring a new kind of playstyle with it that was different to the high fantasy theme of the other D&D product lines. Political intrigues did get a whole new meaning with PS and campaigns did let you poke around in the grand schemes of the planar powers. Great stuff

-Ravenloft Campaign Setting because this setting is one of the best TSR ever released. It has everything that would make your PC shiver and shake in your pants.

GlassJaw

Hero
In no particular order:

The Red Box
3ed PHB
Greyhawk From the Ashes boxed set
City of Greyhawk boxed set
FRCS
FR City of Splendors

Zappo

Explorer
Planescape Campaign Setting. For all the reasons mentioned, and for the many hours of great games I got from it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads