• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the best D&D product EVAR?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
For me it has to be the Dragonlance modules. It showed me that the campaign story can be bigger than just what is going on in the dungeon. It really changed my perception of the game.

Arnwyn

First Post
The greatest amount of enjoyment for me and my group?

The 2e FR Campaign Setting box set.

Honorable Mentions:
- Planescape Campaign Setting box set
- Spelljammer War Captain's Companion box set
- Volo's Guide series

RogueRonin

Explorer
Planescape box set: Because it added so much to my homebrew setting.
Eberron: Because it made me stop using my homebrew setting.

JeffB

Legend
This is gonna be tough....here's my picks

1) The original GDQ mods but especially G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. I remember seeing this on the shelf right as it was released and saying "What the heck is a Module?...and for that matter,what the Heck is a Steading? Shortly thereafter I was run through said module, and I was hooked...this was ALOT better than the adventures other people had made up...we had to think, be stealthy, fight, parley, run...and at the end...it wasn't the end....continued in G2...talk about anticipation!

2) Moldvay/Cook era B/X sets: Clear and to the point . Good organization. Brought in alot of gamers, and supplied many years of fun. Still my all time fave version of the rules (not perfect, but darn good)

3) B2 The Keep on the Borderlands. An entire mini-campaign. Great tool for novice DMs, nice little side-treks (Mad Hermit, Lizard Man Mounds, etc), Home base filled with adventure hooks, and the Caves of Chaos themselves. D&D in it's purest form AFAIC.

4) T1 The Village of Homlett..much like B2, Homlett was a mini-campaign setting in a handful of pages...Gygax did a better job describing a big region of GH in a few paragraphs, than subsequent authors would do in entire books...Very cool

5) TSR, The Dragon, & Dragon mags up 'til about 1985 or so...great products in the overall sense

Honorable mentions for A1,2,3,& 4, U1,S1 & S2,B1, Brown Books & supplements, 1E FR grey box, FR5, Planescape boxed set, From the Ashes, 3E FRCS (don't like all the changes, but that is the benchmark for campaign setting books), 3E MotP, Of Sound Mind, Crucible of Freya, Rappan Athuk series,PGttW, Monte's AU, Mutants and Masterminds, Midnight, and last but not least, the Epic Level Handbook...HA! Just kidding :p

Melan

Explorer
1) The 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide. No matter what I am DMing, there is always something I can use from it. Herbs and gems! Items typically bejewelled! Random monster charts! One of the best gaming purchases I made.
2) City State of the Invincible Overlord and Wilderlands of High Fantasy. I was already running campaigns sorta like these when I first saw them. But when I read through them, I suddenly understood what I wanted from gaming. It was a truly eye opening experience.
3) Honorable mention goes to L1: The Secret of Bone Hill. That's another one that taught me about campaign planning.

Iuz

First Post
Some of my favorites have already been mentioned, but here are a few I haven't noticed.

Red Arrow Black Shield - one of the greatest modules ever in my opinion, surely the best at bringing the pcs into a war

In Search of Adventure - a great collection of low level adventures

Creative Campaining - one of the "grey" books from 2E

But by far my favorite of all time has to be

Castle Greyhawk - a humurous yet very playable 13 level dungeon; just reading it is a good time, playing it is out of this world.

Last edited:

Bregh

Explorer
G D Q--Queen of the Spiders (without the "Q"); the distilled essance of D&D.

The oAD&D DMG is a close second, however, and B1 KotB a very close third.

Zamora

First Post
Hi,

Another vote for the grey FR boxed set.

Honourable mentions for the Planescape Boxed Set and the Planewalker's Handbook, the G & D series, 3e Player's Handbook.

Cheers

Richard

shouit

Explorer
Speaking of Keep on the Borderlands, has anyone converted it over to d20? I have the module, but was wondering if there was a way to save me some work converting. I used to remember EnWorld had something like this, but cannot find it now.

As for my favorite book of all time, 1st Ed DM Guide... Wow, still gives me chills...

Remove ads