• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the best direct-damage spell to use against a foe with uber saving throws?

Felon

First Post
Hopefully, the title just about says it all. I'm looking for the spell that will inflict the greatest amount of damage on a single target creature that is almost assured of being able to make any given saving throw (obviously, a spell that allows no save is ideal). Please observe the following criteria in your responses:

1) No spell higher than 7th level (including any applicable metamagic feats).
2) Caster class is not a major factor (druid, sor/wiz, or cleric).
3) Direct damage spells only; nothing clever involving shunting people down 1000 foot deep pits or dropping people into molten lava.
4) The damage cannot be dependent on using sneak attack or other spell-unrelated class abilities as a factor (again, I'm looking for direct damage from the spell itself).
5) Doesn't have to be from a core book, but WotC material only please.

I think that about covers it. TIA!

Felon said:
Hopefully, the title just about says it all. I'm looking for the spell that will inflict the greatest amount of damage on a single target creature that is almost assured of being able to make any given saving throw (obviously, a spell that allows no save is ideal). Please observe the following criteria in your responses:

1) No spell higher than 7th level (including any applicable metamagic feats).
2) Caster class is not a major factor (druid, sor/wiz, or cleric).
3) Direct damage spells only; nothing clever involving shunting people down 1000 foot deep pits or dropping people into molten lava.
4) The damage cannot be dependent on using sneak attack or other spell-unrelated class abilities as a factor (again, I'm looking for direct damage from the spell itself).

I think that about covers it. TIA!

If the maximum spell level is 7 the best you can do is a maximized enpowered scorching ray, witch deals 72 + (12d6)/2 = 93 points of fire damage on average.

Ryan Koppenhaver

First Post
Scorching Ray (2nd level) will do 12d6 points of fire damage, with no save, at 11th caster level and above. Maximized and Empowered (a 7th level slot), it does an average of 93 points of damage, assuming the rays hit.

EDIT: Whoops, not fast enough on that one.

Last edited:

Vrecknidj

Explorer

I don't know if this will count for you. In the NWN game (which supposedly uses Forgotten Realms stuff), there's a 6th level spell called Isaac's Greater Missile Storm. So as to not step on any copyright toes, let's just say it's a bigger, better magic missile spell. Each missile (one per caster level up to 20) does 2d6 damage. They don't miss like magic missles, and don't allow a save. The down side is, you can't select targets--if there are multiple enemies, the missles disperse randomly. But, if you only have one enemy, it's a good spell.

And, you said it had to be 7th level or lower. So, we're talking at least a 13th level caster. So, that's 26d6 for an average of 91 points. And, since it's force damage, pretty much only SR can stop it (i.e. no protection from fire or anything to worry about).

Dave

Blood Jester

First Post
Vrecknidj said:

I don't know if this will count for you. In the NWN game (which supposedly uses Forgotten Realms stuff), there's a 6th level spell called Isaac's Greater Missile Storm. So as to not step on any copyright toes, let's just say it's a bigger, better magic missile spell. Each missile (one per caster level up to 20) does 2d6 damage. They don't miss like magic missles, and don't allow a save. The down side is, you can't select targets--if there are multiple enemies, the missles disperse randomly. But, if you only have one enemy, it's a good spell.

And, you said it had to be 7th level or lower. So, we're talking at least a 13th level caster. So, that's 26d6 for an average of 91 points. And, since it's force damage, pretty much only SR can stop it (i.e. no protection from fire or anything to worry about).

Dave
Magic Missiles don't miss, and don't allow a save.

Maximize and/or empower a bunch of those, quicken some if you can.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Vrecknidj said:

Dave

Well, the Issac's spells are clearly overpowered (compare with Disintergrate, same damage but no save, and no attack roll). If the DM is foolish enough to allow it, it would be clearly the best.

Geoff.

Felon

First Post
Scorching ray seems to be a winner.

You know, I was half-expecting someone to mention a spell from the new Player's Guide to Faerun. Don't tell me there aren't any smackdown spells in there :)

Pants

First Post
Just revise Chromatic Orb, a first level spell that can Kill or Petrify people :D

Okay... maybe it won't work too well on those with uber saving throws, but man that spell was awesome!

nameless

First Post
Telekinesis can do 15d6 with no save if you hurl a dense, heavy object, like a boulder. And unlike Scorching Ray, it allows no SR, no DR, and no energy resistances (which apply triple to Scorching Ray). In a favorable situation, telekinesis can hurl a bunch of dangerous things like greatswords or polearms and do even more damage.

Acid Fog will do 2d6 acid damage (no save) per round, and Cloudkill will do 1d4 Con damage per round (Fort half). Put up a hemispherical wall of ice (creatures not adjacent to the wall aren't given a save) over it, and the bad guy is trapped in there with the damaging fog until the duration expires, or it breaks the wall. Acid Fog is good for that, because it slows the victims down and reduces their damage output against the wall. Against somebody who isn't physically strong, the Acid Fog has a good chance of doing the full 2d6 per level and giving you all kinds of time to buff up or summon minions.

Last edited:

Remove ads