• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's The Best Monster Book?

Iosue

Legend
Which is the best Monster book depends on what I'm playing and what I want out of it.

I love the Classic D&D/RC monster descriptions, and to a certain extent the 1e MM. Entries are short and pithy, without overly detailed statblocks or descriptions. Because when I'm playing Classic D&D, I'm playing a dungeon/wilderness exploration game, and I don't want a lot of fluff, or pages and pages of monsters. I want something I can find and note on the fly, and with plenty of wiggle-room to fluff as I want, as needed. The Classic D&D monster entries match well with a Wandering Monster style of play. Combat is fast and abstract, so I don't need or want a bunch of monster abilities.

But now 2e's forte is World Building, and the MC/MM single-page entries are great for that. Lots of ecological/sociological info, and the relatively dry fluff is a feature, not a bug. It allows the monsters to nicely fit into any kind of homebrew.

Now when I'm playing 4e, I'm looking forward to encounters with maps n' minis combat. Combat is more granular, and is going to take some time, so I want the monsters to have variety and different powers. And in particular I like the Monster Vault, for its great artwork and vivid tokens. One of the frustrating things when I first purchased the Core books was having all the different monsters, but no minis or tokens. So I fell totally in love with the MV, since it had all the goodies of the 4e MM, plus tons of great tokens.

I've never played 3e, but I daresay it's great for those folks who are not just world building, but world simulating, and want to see the bare bones of how these monsters are created, in the same vein as PCs.

But when I'm playing Red Box, the MV isn't what I want. Nor are the Red Box monsters what I want when I'm playing 4e. Each Monster book was lovingly designed to be the best book for the demands of the game it belonged to.

Imaro

Legend
Which is the best Monster book depends on what I'm playing and what I want out of it.

I love the Classic D&D/RC monster descriptions, and to a certain extent the 1e MM. Entries are short and pithy, without overly detailed statblocks or descriptions. Because when I'm playing Classic D&D, I'm playing a dungeon/wilderness exploration game, and I don't want a lot of fluff, or pages and pages of monsters. I want something I can find and note on the fly, and with plenty of wiggle-room to fluff as I want, as needed. The Classic D&D monster entries match well with a Wandering Monster style of play. Combat is fast and abstract, so I don't need or want a bunch of monster abilities.

But now 2e's forte is World Building, and the MC/MM single-page entries are great for that. Lots of ecological/sociological info, and the relatively dry fluff is a feature, not a bug. It allows the monsters to nicely fit into any kind of homebrew.

Now when I'm playing 4e, I'm looking forward to encounters with maps n' minis combat. Combat is more granular, and is going to take some time, so I want the monsters to have variety and different powers. And in particular I like the Monster Vault, for its great artwork and vivid tokens. One of the frustrating things when I first purchased the Core books was having all the different monsters, but no minis or tokens. So I fell totally in love with the MV, since it had all the goodies of the 4e MM, plus tons of great tokens.

I've never played 3e, but I daresay it's great for those folks who are not just world building, but world simulating, and want to see the bare bones of how these monsters are created, in the same vein as PCs.

But when I'm playing Red Box, the MV isn't what I want. Nor are the Red Box monsters what I want when I'm playing 4e. Each Monster book was lovingly designed to be the best book for the demands of the game it belonged to.

I can't XP you right now... but this was a really great answer.

Stormonu

Legend
OK. Care to name three highlights from the 2e Monstrous Manual then?

For what it's worth, the examples I've made haven't been cherry picked - although opening a book randomly may get to a commonly used page.

Derro (Dwarf, Derro) was a 2E that stood out in my mind - primarily the section in habitat on the Uniting War. I'm not sure Derro are in MV, however.

Randomly picking a page, I'd also like to see you compare, say Vampire, Imp/Quasit and Fungus (Shrieker, Violet Fungi, Gas Spore, Ascimoid/Phycamoid) [Are these guys even in 4E?!?) . As an alternate, Beholder/Beholder-kin (ALL of 'em).

I can't XP you right now... but this was a really great answer.

Apparently there's soemthing we can agree on right down to the being unable to XP.

Derro (Dwarf, Derro) was a 2E that stood out in my mind - primarily the section in habitat on the Uniting War. I'm not sure Derro are in MV, however.

Depends. Will you accept Duegar? Which are in MV - and the MM2 (but not the MM1). Same page as Derro (and it's the Duegar not the Derro who launch the Uniting War). I agree that the Uniting War is a nice touch - and not one that made it as far as 4e.

For that matter 4e Duegar are slightly silly; they fling beard-quills at people. (No, I don't know either). But then the 2e Duegar entry seems utterly pointless.

4e Duegar vs 2e Derro.
Duegar
The duegar are slavers that dwell in the volcanic regions of the Underdark. They were once the thralls of mind flayers, but they turned to devils to help escape bondage. Now they aquire their own slaves by making raids into the surface world.
That sets their place in the world far better than "Derro live in large underground complexes, nearer the surface than the kuo-toans and drow, but deeper than goblins and trolls." And further "Other Underdark denizens also call on duegar to build keeps, castles, and other structures of stone." Or "Many of the fortresslike cities that duegar inhabit have places that serve as embassies for devils. Throughout these cities, devils travel openly in the streets." Monster Vault has sections on how Duegar pick slaves, how they treat slaves, how they raid for them, where the Duegar live, and what their cities look like. Much as I like the Uniting War, that is the only point in the entire page I find remotely inspiring. As opposed to the evil dwarves who've rejected Moradin for demons and make cities where demons can walk freely "on islands in the middle of underground seas, in caverns surrounded by moats of lava, or on the edge of deep chasms."

I think the 4e Duegar win here even if the 2e Derro have a very cool way to hook them in.

Randomly picking a page, I'd also like to see you compare, say Vampire,
In the preview. Compare with 2e. Over half the 2e text is combat - and that goes in the statblock; a section I find long winded and thoroughly tedious. Also a 2e Vampire is straight from the Hammer Horror Studios - whereas a 4e Vampire is much more post-White Wolf. I definitely know which I prefer; the decadence of a 4e vampire lends them an allure - and coming with Vampire Spawn (a.k.a. Buffy level Vampires) makes them social if you want them to be. But Vampires are an odd one as they are deep rooted enough in popular culture that almost no one is going to read the text that hard as we all know what vampires are.

Imp/Quasit
Imp/Quasit. Quasits don't exist in 4e; demons just want to watch the world burn. The tempters are all devils. This puts clear water between the two and makes them distinct rather than groups that fight over how to be evil.

Imps get all the awesome 4e Devil fluff - I'm not sure whether you want to count "Fallen Servants of the Gods" as good fluff or not. But honestly I'll match
Tempters of Mortals: The follower of Asmodeus are, like their masters, nothing if not cunning. Many devils prefer to capture the souls of mortals through non-violent means, even convincing mortals to give up their own free will. For example, imps (small, red-skinned devils with leathery wings and stinger-tipped tails) whisper promises of power in mortals' ears, corrupting them with unholy contracts that divulge the secrets of arcane and divine magic. [Sentence on succubi snipped]. Both of these types of devils are capable of fulfilling their promises, but everything comes with a price. A wizard who agrees to a contract with an imp might learn spells beyond imagination, but he is likely to sink slowly into madness as the dark magic erodes his sanity.
I will take that for inspiring any day over "Their main purpose on the Prime Material plane is to spread evil by assisting lawful evil wizards and priests. When such a person is judged worthy of an imp's service, the imp comes in answer to a find familiar spell. Once they have contacted their new "master", imps begin at once to take control of his actions. Although imps maintain the illusion that the summoner is in charge, the actual relationship is closer to that of a workman (the imp) and his tools (the master)."

2E imps find evil people and work for them and empower them. 4E imps find corruptable people and tempt them to evil by offering them promises that they can and will fulfill. A 2e Imp will leave a neutral but book hungry caster alone. A 4e one won't.

and Fungus (Shrieker, Violet Fungi, Gas Spore, Ascimoid/Phycamoid) [Are these guys even in 4E?!?) .
Not all of them. 4e doesn't run to Gas Spores - but has its own take on Myconids although those are in the MM2.

As an alternate, Beholder/Beholder-kin (ALL of 'em).
Oof! That's twelve types. But it's fluff we're interested in. What do they do? 4e gets only three in Monster Vault - the Gauth, the Beholder, and the Eye Tyrant.

But where do Beholders fit? Where do they come from (other than bad puns)? And where do they go?

Let's take one of the Beholder Kin semi-at random (mostly because I remember reading books by that name).
Lensman (abomination)
A lensman has one eye set in the chest of its five-limbed, starfish-shaped, simian body. Beneath the eye is a leering, toothy maw. Four of the five limbs end in three-fingered, two-thumbed, clawed hands. The fifth limb, atop the body, is a prehensile, whip-like tentacle. Its chitin is soft and there are many short, fly-like hairs. Lensmen are the only kin to wear any sort of garb -- a webbing that is used to hold tools and weapons. Their preferred weapons are double-headed pole arms.
Lensmen are semi-mindless drones that don't question their lot in life. The eye of each lensman possesses only one of the following six special powers (all at the 6th level of ability).
1. Emotion
2. Heal
3. Dispel Magic
4. Tongues
5. Phantasmal Force
6. Protections (as scrolls, any type, but only one at a time)
That's not a description. That's a statblock and description of a faceless mook. Other than a slightly freakish appearance, I can't see anything that really makes me want to use them. In fact far the most interesting of the Beholder Kin is one with no statblock at all.
Beholder Mage
Shunned by other beholders, this is a beholder which has purposely blinded its central eye, so that it might cast spells. It does so by channeling spell energy through an eyestalk, replacing the normal effect with that of a spell of its choice.
Now that's an interesting idea. Pity it wasn't developed - and equally a pity about the shunning contradicting with "Beholders and beholder-kin are usually solitary creatures". It's shunned ... by other solitary creatures. Wait, what?

That said, I do like the death tyrant.

So why do I want to use 2e Beholders? Other than the appearance and the pun? And let's face it, the 2e beholder (the second one below) looks very goofy. The 4e one is scary. Do I want a giant floating eyeball full of hate with a goofy expression on a silly looking face? Possibly. Do I want a giant eldritch bundle of tentacles raining death down on the PCs? Hell, yeah!

beholders.jpg

And why do Beholders look so weird? 4e has an answer.

Beholder
Creatures of abohorrent shape and alien mind, beholders seek dominance over all they survey. The floating horrors enforce their will by firing rays of magic from their eyestalks.

When the unwholesome plane known as the Far Realm comes into tenuous contact with reality, terrible things boil across the boundary. Nightmares form the thunderhead of psychic storms that presage the arrival of warped beings and forces undreamt of by the maddest dmon or the vilest devil. Many aberrant creatures stumble upon the world by accident, pushed in like a chill wind through a door suddenly opened. Others crash into reality because it is as loathsome to them as their surreal homeworld is to all sane natives of the rational planes. Beholders, however, come as conquerers. Each one seeks to claim all in its sight, and Beholders see much indeed.

Beholders do not belong in the world or in any of the planes inhabited by immortal or elemental, primordial or god. Their home, the Far Realm, is so antithetical to rational thought that most hwo glimpse the plane go mad. Like other unsettling inhabitants of that place, beholders have forms unlike those of natural creatures.
Or to sum up, 4e Beholders are half Conquistador, half Shoggoth. Means, motive, and explanation - and an explanation that can either make them a single entity looking to hold what it can or a vanguard to an incursion ending up with Dread Cthulu himself (or itself, or whatever is applicable). "When beholders work togeter or do the bidding of a more powerful master, the world is in peril."

Does that, strong theme, motivation, metaplot, and reason for looking the way they do, make up for not having the Lensman, the Overseer, the Watcher, and even the awesome Death Tyrant. In my view, Hell Yes!

To me that's a clear win for the 4e Imp (not even a contest), and a comfortable win on each of the other categories assuming you allow the Derro/Duegar substitution - the 2e Beholders might even scramble a draw due to the numbers, the variety, the Undead Beholder, and the Mage. (The 2e Duegar doesn't even make it to the starting blocks).

Mark Morrison

First Post
I definitely agree that the 4e stat blocks are marvelous. Monsters are so easy to run now; not having to look up another rule has been a great boon at the table.

I forgot to mention another complete favourite: The Book of Fiends by Chris Pramas (Green Ronin). That book was great fuel for my 17th century demon-hunting campaign.

M.

pemerton

Legend
Randomly picking a page, I'd also like to see you compare, say Vampire, Imp/Quasit and Fungus (Shrieker, Violet Fungi, Gas Spore, Ascimoid/Phycamoid) [Are these guys even in 4E?!?) . As an alternate, Beholder/Beholder-kin (ALL of 'em).
I'm doing imps and vampires (with reference to the MM, whereas [MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] has referenced the MV).

Imps
Here is the flavour text on imps from the Monstrous Manual:

Imps are diminutive creatures of an evil nature who roam the world and act as familiars for lawful evil wizards and priests. . . Imps are beings of a very evil nature who originate on the darkest of evil planes. Their main purpose on the Prime Material plane is to spread evil by assisting lawful evil wizards and priests. When such a person is judged worthy of an imp's service, the imp comes in answer to a find familiar spell.

Once they have contacted their new "master", imps begin at once to take control of his actions. Although imps maintain the illusion that the summoner is in charge, the actual relationship is closer to that of a workman (the imp) and his tools (the master).

Although an imp's body can be destroyed on the Prime Material plane, it is not so easily slain. When its physical form is lost, its corrupt spirit instantly returns to its home plane where it is reformed and, after a time, returned to our world to resume its work.

While they are technically in the service of their master, imps retain a basic independence and ambition to become more powerful someday. . .

Imps are the errand boys of the powerful evil beings who command the darkest planes. They often act as emissaries and agents, but their primary task is to enhance the spread of evil in our world.​

There's a lot of repetition there, but the gist is pretty clear.

In the 4e MM, imps are under the "devil" entry, which has a 1000+ word history of, and guide to, the Nine Hells. It talks about the devils' betrayal of their former divine master, their use of bargains to secure mortal souls, etc. Here is the flavour text from the 4e MM that is additional to that background, and particular to imps:

Imps act as spies and emissaries for more powerful devils. Mortals often make bargains with imps, thinking that the weak devils are easy to control. Ultimately, most imps prove their loyalties lie with the Lords of the Nine and not any mortal master.

Imps are devious and deadly mischief-makers. They take pleasure in tricking mortals into harming one another. . .

Imps partner with mortals who seek magical power. By helping their “masters” attain new spells or locate magic items, imps foster a madness for power that leads their masters to perform evil acts. . .

Imps possess impressive knowledge about magical subjects. They gain most of their information from other devils, from past experience, or from spying efforts of their own.
I think that conveys as much information as, if not more than, the 2nd ed entry. In particular, it explains how it is that imps take control of their "masters", namely, by feeding them information about magical secrets and thereby engendering a lust for power that they can in turn satisfy, by urging to greater and greater evil.

What 4e doesn't have is the find familiar spell - the recruitment of imps by mortals (and vice versa) is a matter primarily of free roleplay. Whether that's an improvement or a detriment is, I think, a matter of taste.

Vampires
From the 2nd ed Monstrous Manual:

Of all the chaotic evil undead creatures that stalk the world, none is more dreadful than the vampire. Moving silently through the night, vampires prey upon the living without mercy or compassion. Unless deep underground, they must return to the coffins in which they pass the daylight hours, and even in the former case they must occasionally return to such to rest, for their power is renewed by contact with soil from their graves.

One aspect that makes the vampire far more fearful than many of its undead kindred is its appearance. Unlike other undead creatures, the vampire can easily pass among normal men without drawing attention to itself for, although its facial features are sharp and feral, they do not seem inhuman. In many cases, a vampire's true nature is revealed only when it attacks. . .

Any human or humanoid creature slain by the life energy drain of a vampire is doomed to become a vampire himself. Thus, those who would hunt these lords of the undead must be very careful lest they find themselves condemned to a fate far worse than death. The transformation takes place one day after the burial of the creature. Those who are not actually buried, however, do not become undead and it is thus traditional that the bodies of a vampire's victims be burned or similarly destroyed. Once they become undead, the new vampire is under the complete control of its killer. If that vampire is destroyed, the controlled undead are freed from its power and become self-willed creatures. . .

Vampires live in areas of death and desolation where they will not be reminded of the lives they have left behind. Ruined castles or chapels and large cemeteries are popular lairs for them, as are sites of great tragedies or battles. Vampires often feel a strong attachment to specific areas with some morbid significance, like the grave of a suicide or the site of a murder.

When deciding on a course of action or planning a campaign, vampires move very slowly and meticulously. It is not uncommon for a vampire to undertake some scheme which may take decades or even centuries to reach its conclusion. Because of the curse of immortality that has fallen upon them, they feel that time is always on their side and will often defeat foes who might otherwise overcome them; the vampire can simply go into hiding for a few decades until the passing of the years brings down its enemies.

Vampires are normally solitary creatures. When they are found in the company of others of their kind, the group will certainly consist of a single vampire lord and a small group of vampires which it has created to do its bidding. In this way, the vampire can exert its power over a greater range without running the risk of exposing itself to attack by would-be heroes.

In general, vampires feel only contempt for the world and its inhabitants. Denied the pleasures of a true life, they have become dark and twisted creatures bent on revenge and terror. When a vampire creates another of its kind, it considers the new creature a mere tool. The minion will be sent on missions which the vampire feels may be too dangerous or unimportant for its personal attention. If the need arises, these pawns will gladly be sacrificed to protect or further the ends of their master. . .

The vampire has no place in the world of living creatures. It is a thing of darkness that exists only to bring about evil and chaos. Almost without exception, the vampire is feared and hated by those who dwell in the regions in which it chooses to make its home. The vampire's unnatural presence is all-pervasive and will cause dogs and similar animals to raise a cry of alarm at the presence of the creature.

Vampires sustain themselves by draining the life force from living creatures. Unless they have a specific need to create additional minions, however, they are careful to avoid killing those they attack. In cases where the death of a victim is desired, the vampire will take care to see that the body is destroyed and thus will not rise as an undead.​

From the 4e MM:

Sustained by a terrible curse and a thirst for mortal blood, vampires dream of a world in which they live in decadence and luxury, ruling over kingdoms of mortals who exist
only to sate their darkest appetites. . .

Gifted and cursed with undead immortality, vampire lords trade many of the abilities they had in life for dark powers, including the power to create broods of vampire spawn. . .

Living humanoids slain by a vampire lord’s blood drain are condemned to rise again as vampire spawn—relatively weak vampires under the dominion of the vampire lord that created them. . .

A living humanoid slain by a vampire lord’s blood drain power rises as a vampire spawn of its level at sunset on the following day. This rise can be prevented by burning the body or severing its head.

A living humanoid reduced to 0 hit points or fewer—but not killed—by a vampire lord can’t be healed and remains in a deep, deathlike coma. He or she dies at sunset of the next day, rising as a vampire spawn. A Remove Affliction ritual cast before the afflicted creature dies prevents death and makes normal healing possible. . .

A vampire lord can make others of its kind by performing a dark ritual (see the Dark Gift of the Undying sidebar). Performing the ritual leaves the caster weakened, so a vampire lord does not perform the ritual often.​

In this case, the Monstrous Manual has more than the MM - especially the stuff about (i) vampire lurking among the living, (ii) their penchant for ruined castles and chapels (though that is pretty stock standard stuff) and (iii) their meticulous planning. That's the first 2nd ed/4e comparison I've done where I feel the 2nd ed Monstrous Manual actually has more interesting material than the 4e MM (Galeb Duhr's in 2nd ed, as I noted upthread, had one interesting titbit that 4e could usefully borrow, but I still felt 4e was better overall).

Sonny

Adventurer
If we're talking D&D only, then the Monstrous Manual (2e).

For any RPG game? The Hackmaster (5e, not the 4e parody system) Hacklopedia (hands down is my favorite. Beautiful and well written. The only complaint I have is the lack of dragons in it.

Stormonu

Legend
(and it's the Duegar not the Derro who launch the Uniting War)

Sorry, that's quite wrong.

2E Monstrous Manual said:
Every 20 years or so, the derro mount an all-out war against the other creatures of the Underdark. This is known as the Uniting War, and no savant really expects it to be won.

Derro has a lot more info than most of the other entries in the book too, somewhat surprisingly:

Derro are a degenerate race of dwarven stature. They have been skulking in the Underdark for ages, but they were discovered by the mind flayers only five centuries ago, and by the drow but shortly before that. The derro have made a name for themselves by their marked cruelty. It is said that a derro lives for just two things: to witness the slow, humiliating death of surface demihumans, and especially humans; and the perversion of knowledge to their own dark ends.

Derro are short, with skin the color of an iced over lake (white, with bluish undertones), siddy, pqle yellow or tan hair (always straight), and staring eyes that have no pupils. Their features remind dwarves of humans, and vice versa. Derro have rough skin, spotted with short coarse tufts of hair. Most derro wear a loose costume woven from the hair of underground creatures and dyed deep red or brown. Their armor is leather, studded in copper and brass. Leaders wear tougher, kather armors, made from
the hides of beasts far more rugged than cattle.

All derro carry small, ornamental blades, called secari, which can be treated as daggers, but most use other weapons as well...

If 20 or more are encountered, they are accompanied by a savant
and two students..Savants are capable of acting as sages in one to three areas of study. Derro raids are often inspired by a savant's research.

Derro live in large underground complexes, nearer the surface than the kuo-toans and drow, but deeper than goblins and trolls. They never expose themselves to direct sunlight; it nauseates them. Sunlight will kill a derro if he is exposed to it for several days. Still, demo do visit the surface at night, raiding for humans or carry out a savant's plans.

Derro are never encountered singly. From their combat tactics to their choice of spells, demo demonstrate a mob mentality. A lone derro is a desperate demo, seeking at all costs to return to his home....Derro obey without question the puzzling, even suicidal, dictates from their savant
leaders.

Derro hate humans more than any other race: they use humans for the most demeaning manual labor, and for breeding.

Derro do not appear to worship any powers*, but the savants treasure knowledge and the rest seem to worship the savants.
Derro usually scour their territory for magical items, stealing them, or, if necessary, purchasing them from more powerful creatures. Derro do not share the love of gold common to their dwarven relatives, and they have been known to pay exorbitant prices for a few potions or for a magical item with a missing command word.

Every 20 years or so, the derro mount an all-out war against the other creatures of the Underdark. This is known as the Uniting War, and no savant really expects it to be won. The War is a means of winnowing out the weakest of the demo lairs, a focal point for racial identity, and a chance to really create some terror in the Underdark. It also serves the purpose of starting rumors. Humans will certainly hear that a war is being fought in the Underdark, and they will send hundreds of scouting and adventuring parties to the underground to investigate. The demo welcome
this new source of slaves.

Derro can live on a diet of underground fungi, but use it only for spice. They seek out other sustenance whenever possible.

A derro hunting party usually pursues large, dangerous prey that will feed an entire lair, rather than smaller, simpler food. The derro tendency to torment prey also holds when for hunting food, They also raid other races for food.

(I think derro and duergar may have been combined in 4E; but firing beard-quills?)

* This is deliberate misinformation. The derro have two gods that are twin brothers (Diirinka and Diinkarazan). One has been captured and driven mad by the mind flayer god Ilsensine (hence the "found only recently by Mind Flayers" mention); this info had been published years ago in Monster Mythology, but is supposed be on secret level of knowledge on par with that of knowing about Tharizdun.

--------------------

Also as a side note, the beholder entry in the 2E book also mentions "Beholders and beholder-kin are usually solitary creatures, but there are reports of large communities of them surviving deep beneath the earth and in the void between the stars, under the dominion of hive mothers."

Now, that can be taken as a Lovecraft "Far Realms" reference, but back in the time it was meant as a Spelljammer reference. In a sense, like 2E's highly mutable beholder appearance (which I agree the 2E MM picture is rather dreadful), beholder origin doesn't have one absolute place they can come from - they could be from the Deepearth, Far Realms or space; they're done up with a bit of mystery for the DM to fill in (note the mention no one knows how they reproduce, despite the presence of hive mothers).

On vampires I think your dead on the money - 2E's were based on the fading Hammer Bro. depiction, while 4E's took the Anne Rice road (I prefer Anne Rice vampires, except when it comes to Strahd).

Likewise it's pretty clear 4E's got the one-up on the Imp. Part of 2E's sorry info on the may well have been from it's recent reclamation of demons and devils via Planescape - not the best example I could have chosen, but not a good excuse to let 2E off either.

Sorry, that's quite wrong.

Doh! I even found that out when re-reading the entry but my fault, sorry. And yes, I think 4e combined the Duegar and Derro. And as I said, don't ask me about the beard-quills. It's goofy, silly, and not even in a good way.

Derro has a lot more info than most of the other entries in the book too, somewhat surprisingly:

My big problem with the 2e Derro is my common problem with the 2e Monstrous Manual. It implies a lot more strongly than 4e that all Derro are alike - this is particularly brought out by the Number Appearing of Duegar; "2-9 or 201-300". Wait, what? What happens when I have a couple of dozen Duegar? They have to split into three groups? (It gets worse when it says "If a band of nine are encountered outside a lair, there will be a tenth".)

The Derro Lair entry is just as bad "Derro lairs always have 3d4+30 normal derro, plus leaders." Really? So there are always between 33 and 42 Derro based in a lair? Is this something mystical? What happens when Mind Flayers or even adventurers have attacked the Derro? "Help, we're down to 32 of us. Give birth fast or we have to abandon the lair?" And Duegar never form societies that would be anything bigger than a hamlet even when you count the 15-40 human slaves? Makes me wonder how they have their wars in the underdark.

Planets of the hats (TVTropes link) have nothing on the 2e Monstrous Manual. And this is why I find the habitat/society section of the 2e Monstrous Manual has an actively negative value much of the time and the Number Appearing is worse. Drow - Number appearing: 50. (On the nail). So Drow never send small scouting parties? Or spies? And Drow can't ever mass an army of a thousand or more? Bwuh?

Yes, I know you should ignore all the bad fluff in the 2e Monstrous Manual. But it's hardly a good reflection on that book that you almost have to ignore chunks of fluff to make it useable. Like the Kuo-toan gem "If more than 20 kuo-toa are encountered, it is 50% likely that they are within 1d6 miles of their lair." - I'm pretty sure causation doesn't work that way round.

For that matter, every Kuo-Toan lair could have come from Central Casting.
If a kuo-toan lair is found, it contains 4d10 x 10 2nd-level males. In addition, there are higher level fighters in the same ratio as noted for wandering groups. The leader of the group is one of the following, depending on the lair's population:

A priest/thief king of 12/14th level, if 350 or more normal kuo-toa are present, or
A priest/thief prince of 11/13th level, if 275-349 normal kuo-toa are present, or
A priest/thief duke of 10/12th level, if fewer than 275 normal kuo-toa are present

There are also the following additional kuo-toa in the lair:

Eight Eyes of the priest leader -- 6th- to 8th-level priest/thieves
One Chief Whip -- 6th/6th-level fighter/thief
Two Whips of 4th/4th or 5th/5th level (see whip description)
One Monitor per 20 2nd-level kuo-toa
Females equal to 20% of the male population
Young (noncombatant) equal to 20% of the total kuo-toa
Slaves equal to 50% of the total male population
So let me get this straight. Every Kuo-toa settlement is structured exactly the same way. For that matter every Kuo-toa raiding party is structured exactly the same way no matter whether they are going to hunt slaves or going to war.

Stormonu

Legend
Um...

NO. APPEARING indicates an average encounter size for a wilderness encounter. The DM should alter this to fit the circumstances as the need arises. This should not be used for dungeon encounters. Note that some solitary creatures are found in small groups; this means they are found in very small family units, or that several may happen to be found together, but do not cooperate with one another.

So, no, that strawman doesn't fly.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads