• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the best nWoD game?

Best nWoD game

• Vampire: the Requiem

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Werewolf: the Forsaken

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Mage: the Awakening

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Promethean: the Created

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Changeling: the Lost

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Mortals

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Something of which Mercule was unaware (enlighten us)

Votes: 2 3.0%

Jadasc

First Post
* Based on what I've seen so far, Changeling: the Lost has the potential to be phenomenal. Without access to the whole book, though, I've got to reserve judgment.
* Forsaken looks good, but I haven't had the chance to play it. It's very much a "Law & Order" sort of game, and I like that.
* Requiem has the most in common with its antecedent, so there's a lot of room for it to "coast." I like almost all the changes that have been made, and have done the most playing within it.
* Created, to me, is the second coming of Wraith, which was my favorite of the oWoD games. I'm quite fond of it, and can't wait to run it. A few of the mechanics strike me as a little glitchy, though.
* I've been running Awakening since it came out — slightly before, if truth be told. If I had it to do over again, I'd make some different choices and tweak some things slightly, but I still have lots of fun with it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Jadasc said:
And it might not happen even then. ;)

True. I have a bias against it - as written, it does not seem to reflect a universe I want to work in. However, I also used to say I'd probably never be able to find a Vampire concept that I'd like to play, and I found at least one, under a GM who understood what I didn't like about the game.

There is no game so bad that a good group cannot make it playing it fun. By extension, there's no mechanic so horrible that it cannot be worked with by a good group.

Ferret

Explorer
I've only played Vampire:TM. But I have the new Requiem book, and it looks very cool. I've read both the werewolf and Mage books and I think out of the three it would go: Werewolf, Mage, Vampire. Maybe cos I've played and read the Vamp books lots (with no chance for a game :(), and I've been looking for something new...and werewolf looks VERY cool. The mage game didn't inspire me at first but once I read it properly I was getting some ideas for character...

I've only seen the previews for the Promethean games, it looks ok. And this is the first I've heard of the changeling game, the rest was just rumours...but it's getting me VERY excited! :eek:

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
WoD + Second Sight ftw.

Yeah, I'm sure I'd love Second Sight too if White-Wolf would ever get off their butts and print some more copies. They've been out of stock for several months with no end in sight and I am not all that keen on buying the PDF from DTRPG.

Mercule

Adventurer
Calico_Jack73 said:
Yeah, I'm sure I'd love Second Sight too if White-Wolf would ever get off their butts and print some more copies. They've been out of stock for several months with no end in sight and I am not all that keen on buying the PDF from DTRPG.

Which is the major reason I picked up Book of Spirits, instead. I read the first bit at B&N and it looked phenomenal (though it wouldn't be the first time the first chapter was the only thing I liked). Heck, I got the free WoD core PDF when DriveThru had it as their freebie a year or so back and I picked up the hardbound recently just because I'm not so keen on having major rulebooks digital.

For the record, my intent is to run a mortals game, ala Supernatural, but I'm leaving my options open for changing my mind or "evolving" the game as the group sees fit. I ended up ordering Mage and Promethean. Mage came highest rated and I was already interested. Promethean sounds like it has a lot of philosophic bits, which is something that I like.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Mercule said:
For the record, my intent is to run a mortals game, ala Supernatural, but I'm leaving my options open for changing my mind or "evolving" the game as the group sees fit.

Exactly my idea... :)

I'm leaning toward evolving it into Mage but if the group were to lean more into investigating the Kindred then I'll go that route. I've never been to keen on Werewolf so I doubt I'll even bring them into it.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
V:tR is the one that hooked me BIG TIME.

That said, I haven't had a chance to read over Promethean.

WtF was good, but just didn't get me going like V:tR did. If V:tR hadn't come out at the beginning of my DMing burnout, I would probably be running it right now.

Mercule

Adventurer
Calico_Jack73 said:
I've never been to keen on Werewolf so I doubt I'll even bring them into it.

I absolutely loathed W:tA. I read the posted bits on White Wolf's site when W:tF was released and it sounds much, much improved. For a while I was very jazzed to give it a try, but my group was deeply mired in D&D at the time.

I haven't actually played it (or any nWoD game, thus the poll), but I wouldn't write it off based on any lingering concepts fro WtA.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads