• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whats the best race?

rhm001

First Post
Hi, my name is rhm001, and I actually like half-elves.

-rhm001, organizer of his local "Half Elf Appreciators Anonymous" chapter. ;)

There's been plenty of discussion about how humans are actually the best multiclassers, with their at will to spare, but half elves are excellent for dips into other classes---taking one or two of the feats and one of the at wills as an encounter, rather than the full paragon level option---consistent with the "Dilettante" name of their racial. I'm particularly fond of Warlord/Paladin, Walord/Warlock and Paladin/Cleric; dragonborn, dwarves or even halflings or tieflings might be attractive races for for those combinations as well, but half elves' extra options in terms of racial powers and feats and their score combination make them really useful for more outside the box builds.

Last edited:

TK Lafours

First Post
Hi, my name is rhm001, and I actually like half-elves.

-rhm001, organizer of his local "Half Elf Appreciators Anonymous" chapter. ;)

There's been plenty of discussion about how humans are actually the best multiclassers, with their at will to spare, but half elves are excellent for dips into other classes---taking one or two of the feats and one of the at wills as an encounter, rather than the full paragon level option---consistent with the "Dilettante" name of their racial. I'm particularly fond of Warlord/Paladin, Walord/Warlock and Paladin/Cleric; dragonborn, dwarves or even halflings or tieflings might be attractive races for for those combinations as well, but half elves' extra options in terms of racial powers and feats and their score combination make them really useful for more outside the box builds.

This is exactly what I was thinking. For multiclassing from level 1 I love the half-elf. It may not provide the optimal build but as a player I worry more about how well my character represents what I envision without making him totally useless.

Oompa

First Post
I would say..

The best class to play is the class you want to play..

Wanna play an eladrin fighter, go for it, wanna play an dragonborn rogue, go for it..

As long as you have fun, GO FOR IT!!!!!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think that humans would be the uber-race if they had better vision. As it is, they need light sources at night and underground, and light sources advertise your presence to enemies.

This is also true of all of the Low Light races as well. They need light sources underground.

Aservan

First Post
I agree that the race is pretty close. Teiflings have a crap encounter power but fire resistance is pretty good. It is pretty much a given that the DM will hit you with fire at some point. The other up side is that you can get hit by your own party too. The dragonborn won't be doing much damage to you when he catches you in the fire breath for example.

By a nose though I have to pick dwarves. Their powers aren't sexy like some others but they are damn useful. Second wind as a minor is useful in any fight that matters and avoiding knockdown and forced movement is just awesome. Both things come up frequently in the game.

Dragonborn are good - no doubt - but Heritage gets less significant as you get more hit points unless you have a class that pumps Con. Getting +1 to hit when bloodied is Ok but you have to hover near death to make it work and staying below half hit points is not a good idea if the bad guys gang up on you.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It all depends on what character you are playing.

Playing a Ranged Ranger? Elf is hands down the best choice.

Playing an Orb Wizard? Human is probably your best choice.

Playing a multiclass character? Half-elf is often your best choice.

I just don't see a good way to choose the "best" race (aside from flavor). It's too dependent on class.

Mengu

First Post
Dragonborn makes "it" better, whatever "it" is, with few exceptions.

Cleric - they make great Strength Clerics
Fighter - anything works
Paladin - Both kinds work
Ranger - TWF ranger works
Rogue - Either kind works, and you can diversify.
Warlock - anything charisma based works.
Warlord - Inspiring works.
Wizard - ok, this one doesn't work as well, but 7 hits out of 8 is most respectable.

Thomson

First Post
I feel like Tiefling and Half-elf are weaker than the pack, but not significantly. They are still choices I could find myself making.
Half Elfs get all the cool feats that humans get, and with Action Surge and Human Perseverance they are definitely balanced.

Tieflings are difficult, but they have powers which give them to hit bonuses which is pretty powerful in 4e.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Dragonborn makes "it" better, whatever "it" is, with few exceptions.

Cleric - they make great Strength Clerics
Fighter - anything works
Paladin - Both kinds work
Ranger - TWF ranger works
Rogue - Either kind works, and you can diversify.
Warlock - anything charisma based works.
Warlord - Inspiring works.
Wizard - ok, this one doesn't work as well, but 7 hits out of 8 is most respectable.

I understand that you are currently loving the Dragonborn, but I think this is an extreme exaggeration. I don't find Dragonborn optimal for most of those choices.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads