• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the current status of the DDI character builder?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So, I dropped my DDI subscription not long after the online version of the Character Builder was rolled out due to my 4e group disbanding.

So, I was wondering where the current version stands in terms of capability?

1) Can I add in custom powers or feats?
2) Can I give players extra feats (like a free Expertise or something)
3) Can I control the access to different splats? I'd like to an Essentials only game, and limit the number of feats available. I want the players to be able to make their characters on the builder without being overwhelmed (which was a problem in my last 4e campaign).

Many thanks in advance!

Breaks

First Post
1) not really, no. you'd have to use something else as a placeholder or leave that slot blank.
2) yes. on the feat and powers pages there is a button that looks like a house. clicking it lets you add any bonus power or feat.
3) you can't fully customize an approved source list, but when you make a character it gives you 5ish choices on what kind of character you want to make, and essentials only is one of the choices.

D'karr

Adventurer
Thanks to the user community, the offline character builder can do all those things if you know where to look.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Any hints or suggestions? I would be VERY interested in updating my offline CB. Just not normally interested in hunting through 100s of pages of websites for the one that might have what I want.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I would also be interested in updating my offline builder. Any information people feel comfortable giving would be appreciated.

Trit

S

Sunseeker

Thanks to the user community, the offline character builder can do all those things if you know where to look.

Technically...that's illegal and not something we're supposed to discuss. No 4e OGL means the WOTC offline CB cannot be distributed, nor recreated.

D'karr

Adventurer
Technically...that's illegal and not something we're supposed to discuss. No 4e OGL means the WOTC offline CB cannot be distributed, nor recreated.

As far as I know, neither of those things are happening. The offline character builder is not being distributed, nor recreated by the user community.

S

Sunseeker

So, I dropped my DDI subscription not long after the online version of the Character Builder was rolled out due to my 4e group disbanding.

So, I was wondering where the current version stands in terms of capability?

1) Can I add in custom powers or feats?
2) Can I give players extra feats (like a free Expertise or something)
3) Can I control the access to different splats? I'd like to an Essentials only game, and limit the number of feats available. I want the players to be able to make their characters on the builder without being overwhelmed (which was a problem in my last 4e campaign).

Many thanks in advance!

1: no.

2: no/sorta. You cannot say "everyone gets X feat" but you can select "inherent bonuses" which accomplishes pretty much the same thing, though it doesn't stop players from taking what would then be essentially duplicate feats, it's mostly designed to counter the ingrained magic item math.

3: no.

Remove ads