What's the deal with The Blacklist

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well, she is very green and also she is not there because of any special skill set. She is there because Red will only cooperate with her and the FBI is lucky she is one of theirs.

Yeah, I get the fact that she's new and like just out of training... but still, it's like the same thing every single time. But then again... no one else can come up with these clues that Red gives her either, so it's not necessarily indicative of her own skills, but the entire FBI.

Just one of those little things I found annoying... though despite that I still really liked the show. :)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Just started watching it. I'm about half-way through the first season, and I really enjoy it. The villains are terrible, terrible people that surely are immensely inspiring for use as RPG foes, particularly low-lever superheroes or horror campaigns.

Spader is just the best kind of bad guy: utterly confident and unrepentant of what he's done and who he is. He's that type of character that always appeals to me if it's done well: the Smartest Guy In The Room. He's better than most of the people around him, knows it, and just rolls with it. It's obvious he's having a huge amount of fun as Red.

The 'nerdy' aspect of it would probably come in simply from the whole 'the world is a wider and weirder place than you ever guessed' aspect of the show, these horrible people who move through the world so expertly that the major law enforcement branches don't even know they exist. Thousands of seemingly unconnected events, missing persons, deaths, accidents, disasters and the like - they are not accidents, they are caused by this whole invisible caste of super-criminal. It's particularly good fodder for paranoid horror campaigns.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Blacklist is a show I watch regularly. I like it, but not for any one particular reason. Perhaps it is that smugness of 'Redd/Spader' or it is 'the villain has a secret that the heroin needs to know' or its watching the mystery unfold for each episode while I try [and fail] at guessing at what is going on. I did not get to start from the beginning, but I can now as I have netflix.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Yet another show where drama trumps brains, and plausibility goes out the window. David Spader plays the magic Elf who knows special stuff the FBI doesn't, and has hand-picked with FBI officer will be dealing with him. Check all the tropes. Spader is not convincing as someone once groomed to be an admiral.
(No shock to anyone) I didn't like it. Gave up during the pilot when the main character is trying to scrub blood out of her carpet. No really. Scrub. Blood out of the. Carpet. And she has to do it herself because... oh, right. drah-mah.
Very similar to White Collar, but less plausible.
For geekism? Uh, no, nothing in the pilot.

Remove ads