• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the draw of half-orcs?

Eli-kun

First Post
I like to play big, strong, and ugly characters. I also like the underdog. There's also the possibility of exploring the conflict between their orc and human parts. A half-orc from a loving family might pause over randomly attacking orcs, because they remind him/her of the orc parent.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
My female half-orc "Can I kill it now?" Ennis is my second fav character. If she and her war elephant aren't out to smash things for Khazum, the Bard, she's inevitably found in the whore houses (as in her setting males and females frequent those quite openly). She drinks a lot, doesn't care a bit about hygene, and some things need to be kept from her because she's too dumb to keep a secret. But she doesn't get lost in the wild and wild animals avoid her.

She's everything I'd never want to be, and some things I am (undiplomatic and too direct). Makes for a very nice mix.

pawsplay

Hero
I like the idea of playing a character who is not completely acculturated to civilized ways. A half-orc, even a non-evil one, might think nothing of solving problems through force or guile that a human might regard as a legal matter or something they should mobilize social support for. My idea of a martial half-orc is a mixture of Conan, a Klingon, and a gangbanger. The idea that such a character grew up among orcs suggests they are tough as m*ing heck and have a way of getting along with violent, evil individuals.

On the other hand, one raised by humans or who defies stereotypes is a classic social outsider type. The half-orc wizard belongs to no recognizable group, yet cannot escape being identified with orcs, other half-orcs, and the wizarding profession, giving him a complex identity. Zarak the Half-Orc Assassin is undoubtedly evil to the core, but you have an idea that there are reasons he is the way he is, and you get the sense he has found a way to get by in the world when others might have perished.

Summary: complex character with simple viewpoint.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I like (half-)orcs because they remind me of Klingons.

I don't get that same vibe. The race that reminds me of Klingons is Dragonlance's minotaur. They're all about brutal honor, so that fits right in. I don't see half-orcs being honorable as a race.

I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for all their thoughts on this subject. It has really opened my eyes. Also a huge thank you to the fine folks at Bad Axe Games for the copy of Heroes of High Favor: Half-Orcs. Indeed, there are a lot of role-playing suggestions in there, some I've never thought about.

I may write up an article about this for my Fear the Boot blog. If I do, I'll try to post it here as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As others have said, part of it is about playing a (relatively) hulking brute, an outsider, and outcast.

But sometimes, its also about playing against type. In my folder of D&D PCs over the years, you can find not just Ftr/Ass from 1Ed, but also Paladins, Monks, Wizards, Sorcerers, Soulknives and PsyWars from later editions.

In fact, one of the PCs- short lived though he was- was a Half-Orc "Bounty Hunter" (Ranger) whose Favored Enemies were Orcs and Humans...he was, after all, a hunter of men...
I like (half-)orcs because they remind me of Klingons.
I don't get that same vibe.

Its the 3Ed art, combined with so many Star Trek storylines about outcast or half-breed Klingons running around (see above about playing outcasts).

Barcode

First Post
In Shadowrun, the playable races were Human, Dwarf, Elf (tall ones), Orc and Troll. Trolls were a lot more popular than Orcs - why? Bigger. People like to play big things. All of the Orc characters I saw created were actually sophisticated since it was a bit easier to envision the gentleman savage as an Orc. But if you wanted big and strong, you went biggest and strongest.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Half-orcs are simpler.

One less feat to choose. Darkvision means you don't even have to worry about a light source. Big and strong, so pick a 2-H weapon and go to town. A half-orc fighter could choose P. Attack and Cleave and a greatsword and whatever armour he could get and that would be it.

Jhaelen

First Post
In Shadowrun, the playable races were Human, Dwarf, Elf (tall ones), Orc and Troll. Trolls were a lot more popular than Orcs - why? Bigger. People like to play big things. All of the Orc characters I saw created were actually sophisticated since it was a bit easier to envision the gentleman savage as an Orc. But if you wanted big and strong, you went biggest and strongest.
I once played a charismatic but cowardly orc swordmaster in Earthdawn. He was all bravado and quite skilled in (non-lethal) dueling but would try to avoid 'real' danger and combat whenever possible.

Over time he gradually became more daring but unfortunately died before achieving true greatness.

I prefer to play against types and I had a lot of fun with this guy.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Also a huge thank you to the fine folks at Bad Axe Games for the copy of Heroes of High Favor: Half-Orcs. Indeed, there are a lot of role-playing suggestions in there, some I've never thought about.

A lot of folks didn't like my extremely savage take on Half-Orcs. It definitely favored the orc half of the parentage.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
From the mechanical standpoint, the +2 Str is a nice thing to have when you want to give your max Str Barbarian character every bit of damage output you can. The roleplay hooks are less obvious, but still viable for those who wish to explore those elements.

- You get to play a race normally associated as being Evil, Savage, Brutal, and Violent. Some people actually just enjoy playing in that general direction.

- The other PC race usually looked at for those wanting to play evil is (or at least was at one point) Drow. With a half orc, you do not get the wangsty Emo / Goth stereotype you get from a Drow character.

- The Half Orc archetypes simply fit very, very well with certain character concepts. If you want a fighter who is simply more brutal and violent then other fighters, your not going to take a Halfling, Elf, Half-Elf, or Gnome (though going against type is often fun too).

- Under 4th Edition, if you want to be the strongest guy in the party, you either go with a Human (dropping the stat bonus on Str), a Dragonborn, a Goliath, or a Half Orc. If you want to have the sense of Honor, you probably go with a Dragonborn. If you want to be the 'Big guy', Golaith is a good fit. If you just want to be the really mean bastard, Half Orc is your best fit.

Basically, if I am going to make a melee fighter type, I prefer to go with either Dwarves or Half Orcs. If I want to be the one looking to do the most damage, I go with a Half Orc Barbarian. If I want to be the one that simply Will. Not. Die... I go with a Dwarf.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads