• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the duration on the rod of wonder?

Stalker0

Legend
In a game a few weeks ago, one of the party found a rod of wonder. He's been using it a few times when he was low on spells, but finally got hit with an effect that shrinks him to 1/12th his size. We checked, and he is now size "fine" for game purposes.

When we checked the duration, we found there was none listed. Does that mean the effect is instataneous, and he's stuck like that forever?

Infiniti2000

First Post
I'd say it lasts for 10 minutes. 1 min/level with a CL of 10.

Note that if you don't use the duration implied (but granted, not explicitly stated) by the spell referred to, then you get things like permanent invisibility, faerie fire, gust of wind, lightning bolt, etc. After all, if you ignore the duration on reduce person, why not ignore it on lightning bolt or all the other effects?

Bad Paper

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I'd say it lasts for 10 minutes. 1 min/level with a CL of 10.

Note that if you don't use the duration implied (but granted, not explicitly stated) by the spell referred to, then you get things like permanent invisibility, faerie fire, gust of wind, lightning bolt, etc. After all, if you ignore the duration on reduce person, why not ignore it on lightning bolt or all the other effects?
You are being silly. How can you have a permanent lightning bolt?

I had always assumed that durations were listed (as they are for the slow effect). Looking at the list, though, yeah, I would probably give it the 10-minute limit.

A "better" (more chaotic) practice would be to roll for duration, e.g.

d10:
1-3: 1 minute
4-7: 10 minutes
8: 10 hours
9: 10 weeks
10: 10 months

or something like that. 10 months of invisibility, though, whew!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Bad Paper said:
Beats me how! That's my straw man of the day! :lol:

The other examples are obviously much more relevant, but I was wondering if anyone would comment on a permanent lightning bolt. :)

Benimoto

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Beats me how! That's my straw man of the day! :lol:

The other examples are obviously much more relevant, but I was wondering if anyone would comment on a permanent lightning bolt. :)
Lightning Bolt, being instantaneous, already is permanent. I mean, you don't see the damage going away after 1 round/caster level, or something, do you?

Vorput

First Post
Bad Paper said:

I dunno... a lightning bolt that just keeps going? Picture the energizer bunny, but breaking through walls in a crazy electric discharge... and just hope it never hits a body of water...

Or perhaps it becomes a living spell out of the MM3.

Vorp

Dominic Ladon

First Post
It's an instantaneous effect with no save, so it is in effect forever. I am currently effected by this exact case, only I made the mistake of trying to use the rod a second time and low and behold I am now 144th my original size, and since then, I have done a lot of research on this particular effect. Also, it should be noted that this spell does NOT act like the reduce person spell as some would argue, otherwise it would say so. Thus... you have to find and use the statistics, penalties, and bonuses that apply to a Fine sized creature and apply them to your character. I believe it is -10 Str (carrying capacity 1/6), +16 Hide, +8 to AC and Attack, and -16 to Grapple. Also... walking can only be reduced to 5' as a full round action. Thus, unless your character can fly, he has to be carried or live with taking a full round action to move a 5 foot step. On a final note, all magical items except for armor and weapons resize, even to fine sized, and when calculating weights, factor that at 1/12 for items also. Good Luck by the way, as a 1/2" spellcaster I know I am having fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads