• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the oldest RPG Product you own?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The title says it all.

For me... get ready for this...
City State of the Invincible Overlord (1977), and the CSotIO poster-sized map (1976). I kid you not!

Next oldest...

The Harndex and Harnview, plus the map (1983). Missing the rest of it.

Cheers!

KF72

{EDIT}

I've also got a downloaded version of Dave Arneson's original Blackmoor campaign book (and map), which you can find here. :D

Last edited:

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
This is going to turn rapidly into a "I'm the oldest school gamer here" thread.

The oldest item I bought myself, NEW, is Gamma World 1st Edition.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
HellHound said:
This is going to turn rapidly into a "I'm the oldest school gamer here" thread.

The oldest item I bought myself, NEW, is Gamma World 1st Edition.

I'm definitely NOT the oldest school gamer here. I got lucky and found my copy on the shelf at a used game and toy shop here in Edmonton called Whyte Knight. (I'm looking forward to the new version coming out.)

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
Unless the definition of "old school gamer" extends into the mid-90s, I don't think I make the grade. :) I do, however, have original copies of X1 - The Isle of Dread and X3 - Castle Amber (1981) among the OD&D stuff on permanent loan from a friend.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
My first rpg product (purchased new) was 1st edition Basic D&D box set, with the cardboard chits instead of dice. The oldest I own is the brown box Original D&D, 2nd printing.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
*raises a trembling arthritic hand* Old School Gamer chiming in. The oldest things I own are the original boxes set of books, and some of the first Dragons.

I think my collection begins with #3 or 4. I have the City State of the Invincible Overlord, of course, as well as a lot of other Judge's Guild stuff (did you know they came up with the term THAC0? Or at least popularized it?); Tegel Manor, the Wilderlands maps, etc.

Ral Partha figures (which I used to be able to get 5-8 in a pack for $2.00, and were real lead); I still have a handful, painted very nciely (mostly by other people; I got quite good at painting before I decided I didn't have any time for it)

Original Traveller books, original Metamorphasis Alpha. Never did pick up Empire of the Petal Throne when it first came out; it was way too expensive. Probably because of all those maps printed on plastic. Never seen that before or since, but dang it sure kept the maps looking nice.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
And it's still in the shrink wrap.

Attachments

• boxed set.jpg
    boxed set.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 381

haiiro

First Post
Avalon Hill's Lords of Creation boxed set -- a remarkably terrible game. :D

This came out in 1983, but I didn't pick it up until...probably '86 or '87. I remember buying it at a deep discount at a Barnes & Noble in NYC, and I didn't do anything resembling gaming until about 5th grade (which was 1987 for me).

First D&D product would be a tie between the 2e PHB, DMG, MC1 and Time of the Dragon boxed set (I bought them all at the same time). ;)

Edit: memory is a funny thing. The first LoC boxed set I bought all those years ago got lost/destroyed/sold (can't remember which, actually). I bought one used a few years ago, and I still have the dice from my the original set. I'm not sure anyone would actually care about this detail, but I wanted to be accurate. ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads