D&D 5E What's the point of gold?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Except that nothing you can spend your gold on really does anything. Sure, I can say I bout some real expensive art, or built a castle or whatever, but none of that matters if it doesn’t affect actual gameplay. Spending useless money to buy useless trade goods and/or useless real estate isn’t my idea of making gold meaningful.

I suppose if you play the game like a boardgame where only mechanics matter, then it's true that it doesn't do anything or affect game play. However, if you invest in the characters and game world, then they all do things and affect gameplay.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That’s a pretty vague idea.
I gave you my exact criteria, How much more specific do you want me to be? I’m not going to design an entire gold economy just because you’re being obtuse. I want three things out of an RPG economy:
• Lifestyle expenses that are significant compared to the amount of wealth the players earn
• Mechanical and/or consequences for lifestyles
• Alternative expenses, such as equipment, goods, and services with significant cost and mechanical benefits.

Just seems like it would add a tax on playing the game at higher levels. Pay to do what you used to be able to do for free. Especially for casters.
Well, yes, transitioning from gold not being needed for anything to gold being needed for things is naturally going to mean you have to pay for more things. That’s kind of the point.

At best it’s just add a treadmill to gear.
Maybe for an incredibly broad definition of a treadmill. I’m not talking about the 3e and 4e +X magic item find here, I’m talking about making the fighter have to think about whether she wants to scrape by with a Poor lifestyle so she can afford to upgrade from chainmail to breastplate a few months earlier, or if the benefits of a Comfortable lifestyle are worth the wait. I want the rogue to have to decide between saving up for that sweet stiletto with the secret poison vial compartment in the hilt. or to spend his gold carousing. I want the Cleric to seriously consider if investing in building his own church is really worth it over a diamond that he could need for a resurrection spell if that damn Barbarian keeps getting herself into trouble. These kinds of decisions are never going to need to be made as long as the weapons, armor, and spell components help them on their adventures, and the lifestyle expenses and downtime activities don’t. And as long as you can afford everything on the requirement list by 5th level, these decisions aren’t going to matter for 3/4 of the character’s careers.

Alternative, just stop pretending that limiting gold is some kind of hardship.
If you want less gold… give less gold. It’s ridiculously simple and is actually less work since you’re skipping a step as DM. And at higher levels, you can just continue to use the low level hoards.
Too much gold is only half the problem. The other half is that roleplaying expenses don’t give you any incentive to spend money on them over something with a direct mechanical effect. Doesn’t have to be a combat effect. Just needs to do something that interacts with the game rules.

Gold does matter. Just not to the combat pillar. It matters more to the roleplaying pillar of a ROLEPLAYING game.
First of all, the pillars that WotC made such a fuss about in the playtest were combat, exploration, and interaction. Roleplaying was not among them, and rightly so because roleplaying is something you should be doing as part of all pillars of the game, not a pillar separate from the others. Second of all, I’m not saying gold should have a bigger impact on combat. I’m saying in order for it to have a mechanical impact on ANY pillar of the game, the things you spend it on need to have mechanical effects. Ideally, you should be able to buy things to help in any and all pillars, and choosing which things to buy should make you think. That’s what roleplaying is, imagining yourself as a character and making decisions as you imagine that character would.

Plus, tracking gold pieces is a traditional part of game. It’d be hard to get away from.
Yes, which is why an economy that matters is to me a preferable option over removing the economy. But removing the economy is preferable over having a pointless one, because I don’t enjoy resource management that doesn’t have a purpose.

But, hey, other people have already done alternate wealth systems:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/177820/5MWD-Presents-Variant-Rules
If you don’t like gold, there are options.
Yes, I’m well aware that Third party publishing exists, thank you. Just because a thing can be fixed doesn’t mean it isn’t broken. You expressed confusion as to why people feel gold is worthless in 5e. I’m telling you why. The existence of patches that make it worthwhile does not change the fact that it’s woryjl in the base game.

It’s about as good of guidelines as you can manage.
Uh, no. People have put together SIGNIFICANTLY better guidelines by analyzing the DMG treasure tables, and the analysis lined up pretty much perfectly with the official guidelines they did eventually end up printing in XGtE. Those guidelines should have been in the DMG to begin with, but what’s done is done.

Which is worth more, boots of winterlands or slippers of spiderclimb? They’re both uncommon, so they’re the same “price”.
But which is more valuable if your playing Storm King’s Thunder? But how about Tomb of Annihilation? What if the PC is a aarakocra? Would they pay the same for the slippers as the boots?
Price is too variable. It changes from campaign to campaign, and character to character.
That’s fine, but some people like a guideline to deviate from as they see fit, instead of “eh, charge whatever you feel like. 500, I guess? Or maybe 10 times that much. It doesn’t really matter.”

Charlaquin

I suppose if you play the game like a boardgame where only mechanics matter, then it's true that it doesn't do anything or affect game play. However, if you invest in the characters and game world, then they all do things and affect gameplay.
In other words, the participants of the game have to do the work to make it relevant. Like I said.

Charlaquin

D&D is a role playing game. Your characters play a role in a story.
And you also play a game with mechanics.

How the trucking hash can you not see how a huge amount of money can give you a plethora of story options? People want your money!
In theory, but that only matters if the DM actually decides to run a scene where an NPC shows that they want my money. And frankly, I would find that much less interesting than a scene where I’m... you know, going on adventures.

You can use it to solve so many problems in the world!
If the rest of the group is interested in playing a game where we save the world through philanthropy, sure. That’s not generally what I playbD&D for though.

Even if you have no immediate use for it, what are you going to do if someone steals it?
Sounds like the start of an adventure. That’s far more interesting than anything I could have spent the money on. Thank you, mysterious thief, for giving me something to do. That’s more than the gold ever did for me.

And buying and paying for a mansion, keep, temple, monastery, brothel, or amusement park can give you a huge set of story options.
Again, if that’s the story the group wants to play out. I’d really rather be investigating mysteries, exploring ancient ruins, and fighting evil monsters than overseeing construction projects, personally. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In other words, the participants of the game have to do the work to make it relevant. Like I said.

The DM and players are all participants of the game. I for one would hate to have reactive players, rather than proactive ones who go after what they want.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How astute of you to have discerned the reasoning for my choice of words.

The same can be said of anything in the game, though. Magic items only matter if the participants make them matter. To those who don't care about magic items, they aren't relevant. Experience, races, classes, feats, and so on only matter to whom they matter, and it's up to the participants to make them relevant. Some things are easier than other things to make relevant, but gold isn't exactly difficult. In fact, it's trivially easy.

Charlaquin

The same can be said of anything in the game, though. Magic items only matter if the participants make them matter. To those who don't care about magic items, they aren't relevant. Experience, races, classes, feats, and so on only matter to whom they matter, and it's up to the participants to make them relevant.
That’s just not true. Most of these things have a direct impact on your available actions and/or the probability of success/failure at certain actions. That matters to gameplay with or without effort on the player’s or DM’s parts.

Some things are easier than other things to make relevant, but gold isn't exactly difficult. In fact, it's trivially easy.
I disagree, for the reasons we have been discussing.

smbakeresq

Explorer

Correct. Been nation building since companion set rules, Fields of Blood, and the new kickstarter by Matthew Colvin.

smbakeresq

Explorer
As a DM I always make sure treasure hordes include deeds, businesses, mines, etc. A VG and free mini adventure is Leomund’s Missing Mansion at DMs guild, the PC get an extra planar mansion.

The players who like these things will select them when dividing up treasure.

Remove ads