• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What's the rush? Has the "here and now" been replaced by the "next level" attitude?

Hussar

Legend
Doesn't matter if it takes 500 hours in my opinion as long as everyone is having fun. Our group tends to do many many things adventures don't count on.

So?

Look, you asked why people want to level faster than you do. I answered that. Instead of simply saying, Ok, fair enough, you and others have repeatedly told me I don't know how to play D&D, have insulted my intelligence, and pretty much badwrongfunned all the way along.

Show me one single time I have criticised longer play styles as being wrong. All I have said, and ALL I have said, is that the idea of a 500 hour campaign where 400 hours is spent on build up and 100 hours is spent on events that lead to XP (Ie, challenges of some sort) does not interest me in the slightest. I would strongly dislike such a campaign. I would find it incredibly tedious and boring.

You and others don't. That's great. Bully for you.

But, why are you presuming that your way is the only true way to play D&D? That somehow those of us who want a higher pace of game are in some way inferior or that our understanding of the game is flawed.

Saying that I don't want to play the way you do in no way means that your way is wrong. Simply that it is wrong for me.

Again, I'll ask you since I asked Bill91 as well - do you think that The Whispering Cairn, one of the most highly regarded modules ever published for D&D, should take an average of 80 hours to play through? And if it takes less, do you think that it is because the module lacks depth or that Erik Mona fails to understand D&D?

N'raac

First Post
Look, you asked why people want to level faster than you do. I answered that. Instead of simply saying, Ok, fair enough, you and others have repeatedly told me I don't know how to play D&D, have insulted my intelligence, and pretty much badwrongfunned all the way along.

As opposed to your very respectful references like cramming 20 minutes of fun into four hours?

Show me one single time I have criticised longer play styles as being wrong.

See above. "Incredibly tedious and boring" and "does not interest me in the slightest" aren't exactly complimentary of other peoples' play styles as well.

Unfortunately, when we like one play style, we probably dislike another, and that means it's tough to have a discussion of our preferred play styles without having some negative comments on the ones we dislike. I think readers of your posts are just as able to suggest you are telling them they don't know how to play D&D, are having badwrongfun, etc. And I don't think anyone's posts are intended to insult or offend those with different viewpoints.

All I have said, and ALL I have said, is that the idea of a 500 hour campaign where 400 hours is spent on build up and 100 hours is spent on events that lead to XP (Ie, challenges of some sort) does not interest me in the slightest. I would strongly dislike such a campaign. I would find it incredibly tedious and boring.

Not surprising, really, given some past threads. For me, having interacted with the townsfolk at the Harvest festival, and gotten to know some of them, at least, as real people, not just faceless masses I'm supposed to defend either because I am an altruistic hero, because I get paid for it or because I will earn xp, makes the game much richer and more enjoyable when I go off to defend the town from the Goblin Horde. Non-challenging encounters also allow me to express, even build, my character's personality, and show off his style, while learning about other characters in play.

One aspect of "get to the die rolling" games I have always found annoying and boring is having each player read a summary of his character's background, abilities and personality. My character can't see that when he meets your character - let it come out in play. He's not really "a sarcastic punster" unless he is actually sarcastic, and uses puns, in the game anyway.

Again, I'll ask you since I asked Bill91 as well - do you think that The Whispering Cairn, one of the most highly regarded modules ever published for D&D, should take an average of 80 hours to play through? And if it takes less, do you think that it is because the module lacks depth or that Erik Mona fails to understand D&D?

Who cares? I've never read it, and I've never played it. However, the richer the scenario is, the more opportunities it would logically have for interaction which goes beyond the module and remains entertaining for the players. Does the author specify in the module itself how many hours of play it should occupy, or are you assuming how many hours the author expects it will occupy? "Module" is a component part - other aspects of play might take place outside, say, a module focused on dungeon crawling or wilderness exploration.

You seem very focused on ratio of "challenging xp garnering play" (largely combat, I expect) and "low challenge encounters" like role playing interaction and, perhaps, opportunities for characters to show off. Have you tried applying those ratios to source material like books or movies? The Avengers was a great summer blockbuster. I wonder what its ratios look like. It certainly had its challenging combat encounters (the battle on the Helicarrier and the moving fight in NYC being prime examples).

But it had plenty of low challenge interaction and play as well. Thinking on some of those:

- The whole point of the scene with a tied-up Black Widow seemed to be showing just how lacking in challenge the situation actually was for her;

- That German fellow standing up to Loki? I could see my players on the edge of their seats, eager to eke out any bit of extra speed to arrive in time to get between him and the villain;

- Would Phil Coulson's death have been remotely as impactful if we didn't already know him, through things like those collected trading cards;

- Banner and Stark just rolling Aid Another and Knowledge checks? BORING. The interaction between the two? Priceless.

That's just an off the cuff sample. I suspect the RP aspect of even this action/adventure summer blockbuster comes a lot closer to the 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of Role Play to XP Gathering than to the near-constant xp gathering events you seem to prefer.

There are a host of non-challenging, non-XP garnering events which, in game, I would call the kind of role playing I think [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION] suggests occupies a large part of their games. Just fast forwarding to the next action/fight scene would make for a much less engaging movie and, for me at least, reduce a game to a tactical exercise. If I want constant challenge and potential xp gathering, I can play Wrath of Ashardalon (a great game, but not an RPG). In an RPG, I want characters with CHARACTER, and that shines through in those low challenge role playing scenes, which can be so much more than just the bridge between combat-oriented xp gathering exploration like wilderness treks and dungeon crawls.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️

Should? That depends on the group playing it. There are ample opportunities for PCs to head back to Diamond Lake and interact with the people there while playing through this adventure. They're built right in. Not every group is going to use them the same way, though, and that's perfectly fine. Erik's adventure works well for any number of approaches.

Obryn

Hero
I can't believe people are arguing about what is, by necessity, a table issue with no wrong answer. Tables should level up at whatever rate is fun for them.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
It seems like this topic comes up fairly often and there's the same divide between playstyles, so the answer starts as being "because different tables like different playstyles and it's as simple as that.

But that's not a terribly helpful answer so let me try and actually be useful.

I would say it all depends on what the point of the campaign is, and what the GM does with it. The best campaign of 3X that I ever played in had glacially slow advancement and it would have been a horrible game if the point was leveling and powering up.

What made the game amazing was that it was a huge mystery that we were gradually introduced to and explored. Each session had us both following a plot (we were assassins with a guild that gave us missions) but also had us trying to figure out what was really going on, who was responsible, and even who we were. The game was fantastic without the D&D advancement mechanics at all... we would have kept playing if we never leveled at all. The GM had about as much campaign information as George RR Martin does. Thousands and thousands of pages.

Most games aren't like that. I have played in a lot of games over the decades and the sense of wonder of figuring out all of the intricacies of the world and who was doing what to whom is not something you usually care about in a game.

When you don't play in a game like that, where does the excitement come from? Playing your character and watching them develop over time. Now playing your character is where all of the issues of the "20 minutes of fun in four hours" comes from: when you're playing the game, how interesting is it, and what do you get out of it?

I recently have the pleasure of gaming with Ernie Gygax. Ernie ran us through a fantastic and exciting session with traps, monsters, exploration and discovery. The game was great as a session in and of itself. I'd happily sign up for: figuring out the devious traps and encounters Ernie placed in front of us would be a fantastic session, and I wouldn't even think of leveling.

The thing was, we did a lot in that game, and we definitely did not spend it going room-by-room with 10' poles and spending hours checking for traps or secret doors and such. We went from one interesting encounter to the next with minimal downtime so as to avoid wandering monsters who were there when we started wasting time.

And that's where the "all advancement all the time" can come from, because most dungeon crawls are not run by a DM as good as Ernie. If a lot of your session is spent avoiding and managing danger where you spend a long time going over what I would can the mundane details of dungeon exploration, you start to think about how long it will be before the next "ding!" when something new and interesting will happen.

So I guess the point of this is, as I'm playing the game, what am I thinking about? Is it about the devious "wheels within wheels" machinations of the GM? Is it "holy crap! That carrion crawler is in my face now and if I don't do something I'm dead!" or is it, "my next three levels should let me do this... oh, wait? Is something happening? Are we still searching the room for traps?"

I would say if players are wanting more leveling more often it's because they're not into the other parts of the game that they may find more interesting.

Obryn

Hero
And yet, the design behind a rules system will favor one or the other.
What will it be for 5E?
The only people it will matter to are those who would rather be right than have a functional game. I literally can't remember the last time I ran a game with by-the-book XP.

Derren

Hero
The only people it will matter to are those who would rather be right than have a functional game.

What the design team of 5E thinks is fun matters for everyone as it goes way beyond just XP and no amount of dials can change that. And unlike your assumption, it is possible to have a functional game with a different idea of fun than what 5E is designed around.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
That makes no sense at all.
What the design team of 5E thinks is fun matters for everyone as it goes way beyond just XP and no amount of dials can change that. And unlike your assumption, it is possible to have a functional game with a different idea of fun than what 5E is designed around.
Okay, we're talking about XP and advancement here, though, where varying it is literally the easiest thing a DM can do. And I'm guessing almost every DM on ENWorld changes it up, already.

So, yeah, I think this is more about being right and the devs blessing a particular playstyle than anything that will ever matter for any individual game.

Nagol

Unimportant
The only people it will matter to are those who would rather be right than have a functional game. I literally can't remember the last time I ran a game with by-the-book XP.

Whereas I won't bother using a game engine where I have to amputate what is to me such a critical subsystem. If the engine assumptions of a particular game are too far removed from what I am looking for in a game, I choose a different engine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads