• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the word on White Plume Mountain?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I though this was coming at the end of November? Has there been any new word on when it might actually see the light of day?

Also, I never played or read through the original. Can someone give me a brief synopsis?

Ronin84

First Post
Ok going from memory here but....

There are three swords that need to be retrieved having been stolen...cannot remember why though, something about being important to the kingdom comes to mind. There was a pretty good poem if I recall about the clues to recover the swords. It has been many years since I looked at my copies of this adventure but there were a lot of "Indiana Jones" type challenges that needed to be overcome to get to the "treasure".

I might be totally wrong BUT that is what I seem to remember....

JoeGKushner

First Post
Wave-trident, Whelm-warhammer, and Black Razor, soul sucking two-handed sword.

Lots of odd bits, puzzels, and strange monsters in the book.

Strange thing wa the advneture originaly assumed that the party was hired to retrieve the weapons. Like they were going to get something like that and just hand it over. :p

BSF

Explorer
Black Razor was a bastard sword.

Each item had secondary effects. Like if you didn't feed Black Razor, it would start sucking HP from you. Or you had to change religion to use Wave. Stuff like that.

Actually I have been planning an adventure with WPM as the basis for quite some time. My players are finally at the cusp of heading into that adventure. They have a lot more motivation to retrieve the artifacts stolen though. I love the new map. I will be interested in seeing if they retain a lot of the same flavor of the original. If they do, I will still be replacing some of those with encounters that make more sense for the adventure I am running.

Voadam

Legend
Old insane evil wizard dominates area then dissapears for a long time.

Three artefact weapons are stolen with notes saying the wizard is back and daring the owners to retrieve their weapons from the wizard's mountain fortress. Owners hire party to enter into the mountain and get their stuff back. Lots of dungeon challenges that are more than hack and slash, or that are interesting hack and slash.

JoeGKushner

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Black Razor was a bastard sword.

Each item had secondary effects. Like if you didn't feed Black Razor, it would start sucking HP from you. Or you had to change religion to use Wave. Stuff like that.

Actually I have been planning an adventure with WPM as the basis for quite some time. My players are finally at the cusp of heading into that adventure. They have a lot more motivation to retrieve the artifacts stolen though. I love the new map. I will be interested in seeing if they retain a lot of the same flavor of the original. If they do, I will still be replacing some of those with encounters that make more sense for the adventure I am running.

You may be right about BR being a bastard sword, but it didn't drain HP from you, rather, it's ego grew each day you didn't feed it.

And draining levels from you when you struck an undead creature.

Prince Atom

Explorer
The poem wasn't much. Just a few quatrains of doggerel. I was able to whip out a passable sonnet in a half hour to replace it.

And the party was ordered to retrieve the weapons. That era of adventures had a simplistic approach to motivation, as I recall. At least WPM didn't threaten you with death if you failed the adventure and survived.

So has the updated version been posted on WOTC? Bard Stephen, you mentioned a "new map"... where did you get that?

Thanks!

TWK

The Shaman

First Post
The Whiner Knight said:
That era of adventures had a simplistic approach to motivation, as I recall.
That era featured red-blooded, meat-eating heroes run by red-blooded, meat-eating wargamers, rather than milquetoast doorstops run by wannabe Method actors. No one needed to be motivated to go adventuring back in the day...

;) (<----- Before anyone throws a hissy fit and jumps my :):):):), please take careful note of the winking smiley...)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
So that's where Blackrazor is from! I always thought it was just a Stormbringer ripoff.

Turns out it's a Stormbringer ripoff with history.

;)
Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads