What's Up With D&D? for Monday, 26 December 2011

Gaming Tonic

First Post

Things haven't slowed down too much over at Wizards of the Coast over the holidays. We didn't get a Rule of Three this week but many other gifts for your gaming pleasure were wrapped up quite nicely. New Paragon Paths and adventures, as well as some Epic Level badness. Titan sized things are happening and you will find out all about them in a couple of weeks if you keep reading.

• Claudio Pozas not only writes but illustrates Paragons of Fey Valor for Dragon 406. Three new paragon paths, the White Horn Knight, the Moon Hunter, and the Soaring Rake will add some option and fey to your game. I bet the Soaring Rake is a big hit. Gamers are talking about this on EN World here.

[*]Monte Cook gives a Nod to Realism in his Legends & Lore article this week. Monte talks about realism in your game and whether or not gamers desire more or less of it. Answer the polls because your opinion matters. The EN World readers happen to have be a pretty interesting conversation going on here about this.

[*]The convention calendar for D&D is here. I suggest you check it out and get your plans in order. The D&D Experience is one month away and I can't tell you how much you are going to want to be there.

[*]Secrets of the Fey: A New Pact for Binder Warlocks by Rodney Thompson in Dragon 406 is another interesting options for fans of those characters who have sold their souls. I think the Lure of Loyalty is a power that really has some potential for fun when you break out the minis.

[*]Tile Trek: A Knight in Shadowghast Manor by Ken Hart in Dungeon 197 is designed to use the Shadowghast Manor Dungeon Tiles set and your party of 5-7th level adventurers. This is a great idea that really makes Dungeon Tiles have more bang for the buck. The adventure is dark and very engaging, go see for yourself.

[*]Codex of Betrayal: Glasya, Princess of the Nine Hells by Robert J. Schwalb brings some epic attitude and villainy your way. This piece is extensive in background and ideas to use in your epic level game. The princess herself is not one that needs any rescuing.

[*]Take a break and work out this +5 Crossword of Slaying kindly provided by Chris Perkins. You can download a PDF copy and try your best. I did get hung up on a few, see if you can get them all without Google help.

[*]Logan Bonner has given the Griffon and the Wyvern makeovers in Monster Manual Update. These are two classic monsters and mounts, so it is great to see them get some additional background detail as well as stat block updates.

[*]Eye on Dark Sun:Ur Draxa by Travis Stout and Rodney Thompson make surviving Athas even more fun. The map and Draxan Code of Laws are excellent and this has a lot of great ideas for you even if you don't play in a Dark Sun game.

[*]Player vs. Player by Chris Perkins in the Dungeon Master Experience examines one of my favorite aspects of rpg's. I am a fan of some inter-party conflict sometimes and Chris provides you with a scenario from his own game that you must take and use in your own game.

[*]Logan Bonner talks Talon of Umberlee in Design & Development. There are spoilers so reading will increase your odds of survival, although it is still doubtful that you do.

[*]Just appearing on Amazon are a new dungeon tile set, Castle Grimstead for September 18, 2012 as well as several D&D Miniatures Products, Dungeon Command: Heroes, Dungeon Command: Drow, and Dungeon Command Goblins. Click here to see for yourself. I will see what I can do to find out what is in these miniatures sets because I am sure you are all as curious as I am.

[*]The Book of Vile Darkness is now nearly a week old and if you haven't been lured in by the darkness yet then perhaps this review by Neuroglyph will do the trick.

Alphastream

Adventurer
One thing to note is that the Tile Trek was originally set as subscriber-only but can now be accessed by anyone. Time will tell whether this is a series. If so, it would be pretty cool to buy a Tile Set (or maybe their upcoming Map Packs) and get a free adventure to go with it.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Last edited:

Remove ads