What's up with international shipping on Kickstarter?!?

EDIT - Oops. Wrong thread. :eek:
I disagree! I'm the OP, I started this thread to talk about international shipping on Kickstarter as a result of your Tact-Tiles project, and I came here today to say THANK YOU for your work to lower the shipping costs for us Canadians. ($5 isn't huge, but it's clear you're trying to help!) :D

Mikaela Barree

First Post
Ugh, I wish so much that international shipping wasn't such a gouge. We're running a kickstarter now and were warned to take international shipping into account. I didn't realize what a big deal it was until we had to send some books to one of our illustrators in Portugal. It put me out of pocket about $75 USD and at that point I was sufficiently scared.

Mikaela Barree

First Post
I don't know that I'll be offering international shipping in my next kickstarter.

Be careful with that! I've found from Kickstarter that a surprising amount of international folks will be interested in your project - I would say about 50% or more of our backers are international. I would be leery of cutting out that demographic completely.

Instead, try to do the math for yourself and ask for an additional dollar amount that corresponds to shipping. Most people who are interested in what you do will be happy to pay that amount.

Enkill

First Post
In my (limited) experience with kickstarters, a relatively small number of people who backed for physical products lived outside the United States.

nerfherder

Explorer
In my (limited) experience with kickstarters, a relatively small number of people who backed for physical products lived outside the United States.

That's a shame, because I really liked participating in your Interface Zero 2.0 kickstarter (and can't wait for my book to arrive).

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would not recommend cutting out international entirely, even though I know it is a bit of a gamble. Charge what you ahve to charge, and be pessimistic about what the charges will be when you ship and if the international folks want to pay it, then it is their choice.

Vicente

Explorer
The best idea so far seems to handle it like Evil Hat is doing for Designers & Dragons: shipping will be charged separately after the Kickstarter using Backerkit or any other website for fulfillment of kickstarters.

That way shipping doesn't screw your numbers during the campaign and you can have international orders. You just have to be very careful when calculating shipping costs so backers know what to expect more or less.

Remove ads