• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your back-up game?

Well, technically I don't have a backup for 4E, since I won't be adopting 4E for my game (although I'll happily play it if someone else is running it), but my "short list" of games I like to run is:

OD&D 1974
Call of Cthulhu BRP (1920s or Delta Green)

I've been thinking about running 1e Gamma World or Encouter Critical, too. And I'm also thinking about looking into Aces & Eights.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Castles & Crusades if I can convince the group, if not, 3.5 or Pathfinder. All but one of us (The DM) have decided to boycott 4e, so it will likely be one of the back-up games.

Stogoe

First Post
Wormwood said:
Wait---the one with the stones?

Because that's my favorite system ever.

Yeah, that's the one. The one thing I don't like about it is how Magic is a separate and wonky subsystem instead of working just like mutant powers. Oh, and how Powered Armor allows you to short-circuit the action economy. I don't know what they were thinking with that one. Otherwise it's quite the robust and adaptable diceless system.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
If 4e sucks, I'll probably continue to play 3.5 with the new rules that I like from 4e. I don't see that happening, though.

Lucius Drake

First Post
For the last year or two I've been playing in an RPG of some kind on Saturday evenings and I have been DMing a D&D game on Sunday afternoons.

Saturday will continue to be In Nomine, GURPS, d6 Star Wars, Star Trek, or the occasional Exalted or Shadowrun game, while Sunday will also continue to be D&D, just switching to 4e.

If somehow 4e turns out to be not our cup o' tea then I imagine I will move to Iron Heroes and keep running 3.5. I can't see it happening though, as I've liked just about everything I've seen about 4th Edition so far.

Imaro

Legend
For me D&D isn't necessarily the primary game. Right now my group is playing Scion, I will probably give D&D 4e a try, but for S&S fantasy it is competing with Elric by Mongoose and Reign by Greg Stolze. Honestly I don't think it will match up to Reign.

Dark Heresy or Mutants and Masterminds are the current "backup games" for when we get bored of 3.x in our group. If 4e doesn't pan out, I'll probably be pushing for using either Warriors and Warlocks or just a converteding M&M into fantasy for the "primary" game.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
A heavily house-ruled 3.5E/Saga/Unearthed Arcana rules system with stolen elements from 4E in a non-standard, house-ruled Forgotten Realms campaign setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads