• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your Best Gimmick?

I'm running the third game in a series late next month and I'm trying to find some gimmicks for the game. First, a quick background:

The series is Underoo Avengers, in which the players are a group of eight-year-old super heroes who fight crime, uphold justice, and get home before dinner. I'm using a blend of Grimm from Fantasy Flight Games (this is not Grimm Tales, but Grimm--a setting for twisted fairy tales) and ENWorld's own Four Color to Fantasy toolkit. Characters include Lily, the adopted Native American Bully with super strength and damage reduction, Art, the exchange student Jock from Britain with his flaming crickett ball attack, and the Dorf, an Outcast with a glum attitude and paralyzing Super Secret Ninja Strike. Needless to say, the games have been a boatload of fun.

Each game has taken place in a whacky location such as the toy factory owned by the Dentist and a Carnival overtaken by Brain Sucking Aliens from Outer Space. So far, these settings have been a defining part of the series so I'm looking to strike gold with my next one. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Right now I'm considering a grocery store or shrinking the PCs (I mean, who can deny the fun of having a shrink ray?).

The other defining part about the games is that they are chock full of puzzles, riddles, minigames, etc. So far I've been using a very simple formula, although I'm more than willing to change it up if anyone has some cool ideas:

At least one "acting" game. So far this has consisted of: The PCs creating their own play and then acting it out (Spider-Man fought a dragon in the first game), telling jokes to help out a bad jester, and using the game Nanofictionary to create a puppet show.

At least one "construction" puzzle. I've got a box of k'nex, play-dough, tape, straws, etc. The party puts together (in real time at the table) some machine to solve a problem. So far I've had them build a self propelled car, a catapult, and a boat.

At least one "puzzle" puzzle: Mazes, riddles, Legend of Zelda-ish puzzles, anything can fit in this category. Last time it was a house of mirrors in which they had to make a laser beam strike four points on the wall (with a real laser and miniature house of mirrors as a prop link).

There's plenty of combat as well, but usually the setting takes care of the monsters. E.g. an armymen swarm for the toy factory and teddy bear prizes for the carnival link.

So far the main purpose of the plot has been to link together combats and puzzles. It would probably fall flat on its face as a weekly game, but I only ever run the series at game days and gaming stores.

So what I'm looking for now is a great idea for the next setting (anybody like the grocery store or shrinking ideas?) and I need gimmicks! What kind of minigames, puzzles, roleplaying situations, etc. have you used in your games?

NCSUCodeMonkey

arscott

First Post
This sounds like the best game in the universe. I want to play this awesomely awesome awesome game. Very badly.

Anyhoo, Ideas:
What about a day at the beach? You could use a treasure map riddle. Like something from the Redwall books by Brian Jacques? And with all the handy beach pails, sand, and seawater, you could do some kind of weights/balance thing. Or perhaps a maze in a life-sized sandcastle.

Sigurd

First Post
How bout playing as cursed termites or jermilain on board a boat. The idea is to sink the boat and kill everyone.

s

Tiew

First Post
Hmm, how about a renaissance fair for a location? Lots of crazy stuff can happen at one of those. Might be too like a carnival though. How about a Star Trek or other geeky activity convention? How about an old pirate ship that is now a museum?

Ladytribble

Explorer
I have the best toy store module....killer toys inspired by the minis of the same name from reaper....I'll look for it if you are interested...

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
One of my favorite fights was in Shadowrun. The crew had just stopped by a StufferShak (Seattle's version of 7-11) to get a bite to eat. Unfortunately, the local go-gangers had the same idea. Insults, Ingram MAC-10 rounds and Twinkie Cream flew the whole night. Best part was the microwaved Street Sam...

Reliving aside, one of my fave gimmicks is when the characters are doing something normally mundane, i.e. getting something to eat, purchasing equipment, things like that.

toberane

First Post
Lemme get this straight... Your running a game called Underoo Avengers, the heroes are preteen superheroes, you have had adventures in places like a toy facory and a carnival, and your bad guys are dentists and aliens.

And YOU are asking US for gimmicks?

Dude, your gimmicking powers stretch far beyond mine. 'Nuff sed.

Runesong42

First Post
I would look to such cartoons as Disney's Recess, Fillmore or Kim Possible for inspiration. These kids have to go to school, don't they? What if their school was run (in secret) by The Lost Kid, a kid who went missing several grades ago and was never seen again... only to have him live in the school and eke out his revenge by bringing video game monsters to life from his Secret Lab (TM) and have them run amok in the schoolground...

arscott said:
This sounds like the best game in the universe. I want to play this awesomely awesome awesome game. Very badly.

Anyhoo, Ideas:
What about a day at the beach? You could use a treasure map riddle. Like something from the Redwall books by Brian Jacques? And with all the handy beach pails, sand, and seawater, you could do some kind of weights/balance thing. Or perhaps a maze in a life-sized sandcastle.
Well thanks for the compliment and the ideas :) I like the idea of a treasure map, and pirates, cannot forget the pirates.

Tiew said:
Hmm, how about a renaissance fair for a location? Lots of crazy stuff can happen at one of those. Might be too like a carnival though. How about a Star Trek or other geeky activity convention? How about an old pirate ship that is now a museum?
More pirates? I'm sensing a trend. Actually those are some really good ideas. BTW, if you wanted to get in on some Avengers action, we're going to be playing in Cary in late May. Contact me off-site and I'll get you the info.

Ladytribble said:
I have the best toy store module....killer toys inspired by the minis of the same name from reaper....I'll look for it if you are interested...
I just looked up those minis and they ROCK. If you could find that module it'd be really, really cool. I might not use it, but I've never been above stealing ideas :D

toberane said:
Dude, your gimmicking powers stretch far beyond mine. 'Nuff sed.
Why, thanks! :D

Runesong24 said:
I would look to such cartoons as Disney's Recess, Fillmore or Kim Possible for inspiration. These kids have to go to school, don't they? What if their school was run (in secret) by The Lost Kid, a kid who went missing several grades ago and was never seen again... only to have him live in the school and eke out his revenge by bringing video game monsters to life from his Secret Lab (TM) and have them run amok in the schoolground...
Yet another excellent set of ideas! I've never seen those shows before, I guess I missed them age-wise or they're on cable. However, the idea of a school encounter, the Lost Kid, and animated arcade monsters is priceless. I will almost certainly use one of those.

Other ideas that I've came up with since I posted:

If I do the grocery store, have a grocery cart race similar to old-timey carridge races. So there'd be two characters to a cart, one making Dex based checks and one making Str based skill checks (Driving and power). They'd race against NPCs in a Mario Kart-esque fashion.

I actually thought about something to do with an arcade game, so that falls in line with Runesong24.

OK, wow. Epiphany! A mall would work almost perfectly. The idea of a lost kid works in with that, maybe combined with a scavenger hunt and video game monsters let loose from the arcade. I'm seeing food court encounters, crooked mall security, and maybe even a go-cart race at one of those indoor gaming places. Hah!

So, if you had a bunch of pre-teen superheroes running around a mall, what kind of encounters, puzzles, and gimmicks would you throw at them?

NCSUCodeMonkey

Remove ads