OSR What's your brand of Basic?

What edition/clone do you use for basic?

• Holmes

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • B/X

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • BECMI

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Basic Fantasy

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Blueholmes

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Dark Dungeons

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Labyrinth Lord

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Microlite81

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old-School Essentials

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • S&W

Votes: 7 11.3%

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
There are many editions of Basic, and many more retroclones and OSR. I wonder which ones are the most used and why. So poll time!

atanakar

Hero
Sorry none. I tried going back to B/X and Holmes last year but I just can't.

A stripped down version of D&D5e using the optional rules of the DMG is my preference: No feat, no multi-classing, no skills, gritty healing. Using only the fighter, the rogue, the cleric and the wizard. Elves, dwarves, halflings and humans.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
S&W is not a clone/inspired by Basic game. It is OD&D in various forms depending on version (pre supplements, with GH only, or all supplements)

Shiroiken

Legend
I've used the BECMI, and if I were to go back from 5E to a basic game, that would be what I'd do. Of course, I'd rather just play 5E's basic mode (4 races/classes, no feats or multi-classing).

Ringtail

World Traveller
I adore Old School Essentials (which is essentially the B/X rules) but I wouldn't use B/X because OSE is just so much more cleaned up.

However while I haven't played it I'm also interested in BECMI since it is largely compatible with B/X but has the Companion, Master and Iimmortals sets as well if you wanna go farther.

Plus B/X lacks iconic D&D creatures like mind-flayers and even beholders I think. But I know there is BECMI splatbook that is a monster book bringing over a lot of the AD&D monsters that didn't make basic.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I don't actively play Basic at the moment and haven't in many years, so I didn't vote*.

But the question reminds me that when I was a kid, I learned D&D using the "B" from BECMI and the "X" from B/X. I didn't know the difference, and whatever difference there was didn't really make a difference. ;)

* But if I did-- and I'd very much like to again-- I'd likely use my Rules Cyclopedia or else get Old School Essentials, because that looks so beautifully put together. I've also considered Microlite '81, or an even more stripped-down ultralite like Searchers of the Unknown (which isn't actually capital-B Basic, but is certainly little-b basic).

ccs

41st lv DM
Were I going to do anything with "Basic" I'd pull my B/X (Moldvey), Companion, & Master, books off the shelf.
Although anything past B/X really wouldn't be needed as everyone would grow bored with the limitations of the system by about 4th lv. & the game would shift to 1e or 5e, or something.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
OSE is great. And LotFP is fun, the the sheer edgyness of it is sometimes aggravating. In fact, that my problem with many over the top ''weird'' OSR products. (I still own Veins of the Earth and I'm on the fence about getting Maze of the Blue Medusa due to ZS)

If the poll had more ''far-removed from Basic'' options, my vote would go Beyond the Wall and the Black Hack 2nd.

Remove ads