• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your DM Shtick?

Everything I run tends to develop two traits, even if I initially start off without these in mind; lots of morally murky, devious intrigue, betrayals and callous usage of PCs by amoral NPCs and a strong terror vibe, often Lovecraftian, but not always.

D&D actually isn't my favorite system to run (without modification) because the strong alignment and escalating levels make both of those more difficult to pull off.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I try to do voices. I'm good with voices but sometimes I forget or use the same one for a couple of people in the same encounter.

I also have an Inn where everything is pink and frilly and poofy. The owner has a man that looks like Fabio and is dumb as a rock. The owner is a short fat man who says FAAAABUUUULOUS alot(loses something in typing it) Most think its funny when they hear it being said. You'll have to trust me on it.

I had a couple of male players playing females try to seduce Fabio both at the same time and they were very agressive. He ran from the room crying.

Voadam

Legend
I apparently have a reputation among my pcs for doing great mundane NPC interactions such as random low level city or village folks or schmoe minions the party accosts. I also have a rep for having people feel on the edge in most every game with significant feelings of threats and horror elements running through the adventure.

DonAdam

Explorer
I have two paradigms that I can't seem to break:

1) The last adventure has world-shaking consequences.

2) The characters' backgrounds follow them around constantly. In fact, I usually start with a very vague idea for a campaign and then mold the particular adventures around their backgrounds.

A'koss

Explorer
Misery.

In my games, expect to be cold, wet and in a lot of pain. I love going to graphic detail of the PCs surroundings and just how awful combat can be fighting in the wind and the freezing rain, the blood and the mud, the carrion breath of the opponent you're grappling with...

Oooh, yeah. Lots of fun!

A'koss.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
JackGiantkiller said:
I just have to say, totally off-topic, that i never, in fact, debauched anyone's sloth.
:D

I can't help myself from going all simulationist and not tailoring the adventure to the PCs. I have managed to half tailor, but never the whole hog and my grip is slipping.

There is this recurring voice in my head saying "survival of the fittest, survival of the fittest..."

der_kluge

Adventurer
Apparently I have a thing for frogs, and anything remotely froglike. Someone pointed it out in my last campaign. Titanic frogs of chaos, lots and lots of Slaad, Gripplis (frogmen), lizardfolk (well, close, anyway).

Remove ads