• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

whats your favorite campaign?

corcio

First Post
simple question.
what is your favorite campaign of all time...
and why

length wise
characters used
level attained and started from?
any cool items...
etc etc

just the sort of campaing you could play over and over again and have fallen madly in love with

for me
thus far it has been nights below.
ran by a friend of mine.
my druid died a noble if somewhat embarassing death trying to get a quick cheap shot in on some un defeatable zombie horde and a necromancer
it was beautiful i nearly cried cause i loved the poor bastard...i felt so bad for the character lol

wouldve survived i would have hit lvl 5 and i started at 1
had a nice bow and some other goodies

an_idol_mind

Explorer
It depends on how you define a campaign. My favorite character has gone through numerous campaigns over the past 10 years or so, and has been messed with pretty badly over the years. He got turned into a drider (he got better), had a psychic burn the magic out of his brain (turning him into a psionicist briefly), and most recently spent a lot of time as a ghost. He's gone through so many twists and turns that it's hard to keep track of, but it's always been fun.

As far as favorite adventure or circumstance, one of my top experiences was from the module "For Duty and Deity." In that, you're supposed to foil the plans of Graz'zt, but not actually encounter him. My character, for some reason, went right after Graz'zt. He proceeded to get his butt kicked up and down the Abyss, but got away when he tossed an enchanted dagger into Graz'zt's eye -- the luckiest crit I've ever rolled in my life. The undignified running away has since been dropped from his version of the story, and now he's always got the tale about when he blinded Graz'zt -- at least until the archdemon meets him again...

Nice. Graz'zt is a villain that I've always wanted to use but have never gotten around to.

Favorite campaign probably would be the first AD&D campaign, run in the Forgotten Realms. It lasted about five years and spanned 1st and 2nd edition. We had PCs drop in and out, but the core was Canon Starsearcher the elven ranger, Link the half-elf fighter, and Dalon of Tyr, the human cleric. All brave heroes with many legendary deeds to their names. It was also the only campaign to ever end in retirement.

an_idol_mind said:
As far as favorite adventure or circumstance, one of my top experiences was from the module "For Duty and Deity." In that, you're supposed to foil the plans of Graz'zt, but not actually encounter him. My character, for some reason, went right after Graz'zt. He proceeded to get his butt kicked up and down the Abyss, but got away when he tossed an enchanted dagger into Graz'zt's eye -- the luckiest crit I've ever rolled in my life. The undignified running away has since been dropped from his version of the story, and now he's always got the tale about when he blinded Graz'zt -- at least until the archdemon meets him again...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
corcio said:
simple question.
and why

length wise
characters used
any cool items...
etc etc

just the sort of campaing you could play over and over again and have fallen madly in love with

for me
thus far it has been nights below.
ran by a friend of mine.
my druid died a noble if somewhat embarassing death trying to get a quick cheap shot in on some un defeatable zombie horde and a necromancer
it was beautiful i nearly cried cause i loved the poor bastard...i felt so bad for the character lol

wouldve survived i would have hit lvl 5 and i started at 1
had a nice bow and some other goodies
We need more free verse posts at ENWorld. Now do one in haiku and then one in blank verse!

sckeener

First Post
corcio said:
simple question.
and why
all my favorite campaigns are home brewed because they were tailored to the characters.

corcio said:
length wise
characters used
any cool items...

my favorite was a two year campaign. That is two real years of play, every day. It was started when I was in highschool and continued into my college years. I played a vampire antipaladin and only made it to 13th level. The rest of the party made it to the 30s or higher. This was under AD&D. We used level adjustments before there were such things...though for us it was xp penalties.

as for cool items...lets see...a whip that did dispel magic, a sword that was a trapped demon (did an Akria effect - not good near other party members), clothing that could change shape, and tons of different wines and ales.

I made it up higher than 13th level...but that 1st to 13th was the best campaign...a quest for a mythical religious artifact....just for the glory of retrieving it.

corcio said:

for me it was the world (NPCs, players, and DM) that made the campaign fun...it really didn't matter what we were doing...I still talk about that game and that was over 15 years ago.

Those are the games I try to create.....I tend to DM soap operas because I want the players to want to find out what happens next. The highest compliment I can think of is players that continue to puzzle about the game weeks or even months after the game session.

ThirdWizard

First Post
DMing it currently.

It started in... 1999 in 2e, right before 3e came out, and we converted it. It was on hold between 2001 and 2003 for another campaign I ran, then shortly in 2005 for a mini-campaign I ran, but we always come back to it. The PCs are currently 11th level, and I have plans to take it epic, so it isn't half over yet.

It's Planescape, moral grays, and centers around the gautiere (Planes of Conflict boxed set). It features lots of plane hopping, intrigue, and discovering the secrets of the multiverse. It's my most ambitious campaign yet, and one I had wanted to play since the mid '90s.

I just started a Story Hour about it, starting in the middle, not the beginning. I'll go back sometime for that.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The favorite campaign I've ever run... hm...

I'd have to say it'd be Dungeons and Dragnet: The Sharn Freelance Police, which is the Eberron game I'm running on IRC and have been since Eberron came out (it's a month younger than the ECS, I think).

It's got action, adventure, mystery, comedy, romance, berzerk warforged, Emerald Claw plots, extensive property damage, witty banter, and manipulative yugoloths, all in one package! What other game, I ask you, have I run that could crack jokes about elven weddings one minute, have a serious philosophical discussion on the origin of warforged sentience another and end in a bloody battle against face-eating undead horrors? And, of all my games, it's spawned the most memorable NPCs, some great locations and enough in-jokes to shake a stick at (try Mrs. Miggen's Rat Pies!).

We're nearing the end of the fourth "season" of thirteen "episodes", and I cannot forsee a time when it'll end for good.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads