• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite gaming story?

babomb

First Post
There are some interesting ideas in 4e, but I'm SICK OF READING ABOUT THEM! But I need to read about somethin'! Tell me favorite in-game stories. Here's mine:

It all started when I managed to into a conversation with some of my players outside of the game that cyanide smelled like almonds and, by the way, it's called CYANide because it's blue. I don't remember how it came up. You'll see why it's important later.

Now, this was a few sessions into the campaign, when the PCs were 2nd level. The players were all new to D&D and all but one new to tabletop RPGs. They were my friends who I roped into D&D by having them watch The Gamers at a movie night. I didn't have a lot of prep time that week, so I decided to run WoTC's The Burning Plague, an adventure I had played through long ago when 3e had just come out.

Here is the rules text for the eponymous Burning Plague:
For the purposes of this adventure, any time a PC comes into contact with a monster or item that has been noted as contagious, he or she must make an immediate Fortitude saving throw (DC 13). Success indicates that the character has managed to avoid infection, although repeated or continued contact over subsequent rounds should result in further saving throws.

Failing the saving throw results in infection. In the case of infection, nothing transpires for the first 24 hours after a failed saving throw. This is the Burning Plague’s incubation period. After 24 hours have passed, the infected (and now contagious) adventurer suffers the temporary ability loss of 1d4 Con. Once per day afterward, he or she must make a successful Fortitude saving throw to avoid further Con loss (at the same rate of 1d4 points of temporary loss a day). Two successful saving throws in a row indicate that the character has overcome the disease, although it can be contracted once again by contact with a contagious
object or individual. A character reduced to 0 Constitution dies. There are no means available to escape the Plague, aside from successfully waiting out the disease or receiving the benefits of a remove disease spell.

I also decided that anyone who died from the plague would rise as an undead creature. So I replaced some of the encounters with skeletons, some of whom were still doing their mining work. Otherwise, I played the disease by the quoted rules, but being rather more generous about repeated contact. In fact, I was more generous than that because I misread the rules and thought they if they made the first save they were immune for the next 24 hours.

With a preface like that, you know everything's going to go horribly wrong.

They rushed off to the cave for reasons other than the plague, before I had a chance to have an NPC tell them about it. When they first encountered the skeletons, I asked for a fort save with no explanation, which made them a bit nervous. The only character who failed the DC 13 check was the human paladin, who, thanks to 3.5, wouldn't gain immunity to disease until next level. They played through the rest of the adventure, nothing terribly noteworthy happening until the boss fight. It was a pretty neat fight, with the PCs rushing up a ramp to the top of a pillar while being pelted with spells and crossbow bolts. The paladin took some pretty heavy damage.

Among the loot were some potions, one of which was blue and smelled of almonds. You see, I had decided that all potions of the same type would have similar physical properties, and I made healing potions like cyanide for my own amusement. Now, the paladin's player was reluctant to drink it even after the sorceress identified it as a potion of Cure Light Wounds with a good Spellcraft check and determined that it was in fact magical with a casting of Detect Magic. But he did, and was rewarded with the healing of his wounds, accompanied by an uncomfortable burning sensation. You see, I had also decided that healing ought to HURT. It sends your body's healing abilities into overdrive to the point of causing pain. And remember, I hadn't forced the others to make additional checks for the plague, so only the paladin had it.

Anyway, the go back to town and rest, and I wrap up the adventure. I walk out the door, remember something, turn around, walk back in, and hand the paladin's player a d20. He fails the fort save again. "When you wake up the next morning, you feel terribly ill. Take 2 Con damage. See you next week."

They hung around the town a while longer on business, some of which was interrogating alchemists about poisonous healing potions, for which I was quite unprepared, but with my terrible improv skills and having an NPC say "Who the hell would make a healing potion out of a poison?", they soon got the hint that they were barking up the wrong tree. They shortly found out about the plague and the paladin got one of his priests to cure disease on him.

But not before the dwarven druid caught it from him! She made her next two saves and so took no damage. But by then sorceress and fighter had caught it from her! (I didn't make the paladin or druid make any further checks, because I could see this getting out of hand, and I didn't want a TPK from a disease!) They end up a few days out from town, the paladin with still a little Con damage, and the sorceress and fighter almost dead from Con damage, wanting to turn back and get cured, but not sure if they could make it in time. And that's where I ended that session. :]

I was told the next week that they very nearly forced me to run another session early, which I thought meant at least I was doing SOMETHING right, and may be why this is my favorite event in my D&D history. I decided that, what with them being new players, I ought to have pointed out that they could make heal checks to help with the disease, so I let them make a few retroactively. That got them enough Con back to feel like they could probably make it back, and they did, one of them finally making two saves in a row and curing herself, the other getting cured by Holy Hookers.

So that's my favorite story in D&D: almost killing half the party with a disease I had expected to be a non-issue. What's yours?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
We had a whole campaign building up to the 2e Dragon Mountain box set.

We had Dragon themed characters, anti-dragon weapons, the dwarven fighter was all ready to reclaim the mountain for his people - the whole shebang.

We finally got to fight the Dragon, and we got slaughtered, seriously. However, the point of this story was the moment where my mage, having used feather fall to get closer to the action, was tail slammed into a wall as teh dragon went past. He got just enough healing to get back up again - before the dragon, on his next pass, fried him with dragon breath.

It was just one of those sessions where we knew things weren't going right for us. :)

kensanata

Explorer
"After wearing a dark magic users power helmet, getting teleported to one of the seven hells, being surrounded by 99 minotaurs and confronting Satan, our cleric of Neptune (Lawfull Good!) smashes down his holy symbol and crushes it with his boot, “Hail, migthy one! I want to serve you from now on, forever and ever!”

It was a great scene, and it was also one of my earliest Usenet post in 1994. :)

Eosin the Red

First Post
My OD&D group had some odd characters and some odder intercharacter relationships. The campaign lasted several years before I got orders to ship out back to the USA. I was returning stateside after 5 years. Everyone knew that....

Character #1 is a powerful wizard (13th level) who is selfish and driven by his lust for arcane power. He has done a number of evils earning him the hate and pity of the party cleric - a female Dudly Doright. The two have often come to blows but never quite got lethal.

Character #2 is a female cleric of Baldur (played by a female). The character has long felt that the world would be better off if the wizard were dead. His evil, in her opinion, has far exceeded the good that he has done.

There is a grand finale that lasts an entire weekend. Dragons, gods, and death knights galore. I was done. Tapped. Yet there remained a feeling of unfinished business.

I never did figure out what started the ball but as I was packing up my stuff and dreaming of a shower player #1 and #2 approached me and said that they wanted their characters to "settle up." Words were exchanged and tempers grew heated. All the other characters got involved. There was a literal riot on my hands. A neutral party member approached me with a plan involving a few NPCs. The rules were settled up and everyone signed on board.

The rules - an arcane field of battle would be constructed (force wall - magic could neither escape nor enter). The force wall would remain until someone yielded or died. Two people enter, only one could leave.

It was one heck of a battle. Both sides looked likely to win at various points but the fortunes smiled (or frowned at exactly the right time). Finally, both were beaten down to the low digit hit points. Most defenses were down. Everyone knew we were in the last round. Again fortune showed her odd humor. Identical initiative.

The round left one character at -6 and the other at -7....

The wizard at -6 hit points wanted to wake up. OK... Save vs Death. -7 HP. You are awake, what now. He tries to move - nope. He mouths "help" to the neutral party. That player asks if he wants to surrender so that she can save both of them? Nope... He wants her to hold up a mirror so that he has the satisfaction of seeing the cleric die before him. The exact term was "I want to watch the #$@#& die."

I left more satisfied from that game than any other. I still remember the expressions on faces around the table. Priceless.

Mechnomancer

First Post
The following was told to me by a friend and remains my favorite gaming story.

Sitting in a tavern, we hear about this traveling troupe of bards coming into town. We go out to see it. It's a flatbed wagon with these pixies singing and dancing followed by their halfling retainers. The pixies were so good we couldn't stop watching them even as the halfling reached in our pockets and took what they wanted. We applauded them all the way out of town and into the horizon. That's right, we got robbed blind by a pixie-land band.

Rechan

Adventurer
PCs are standing outside of a room full of badguys.

Dwarf: "So what do we do?"
Wizard: "Send in the Minotaur. He's expendable."
Minotaur to the dwarf: "What does expendable mean?"
Dwarf: (Without missing a beat) "Handsome. Brave. Good with the women."

Minotaur kicks down the door, charges in, and roars, "FACE ME, I am expendable!"

Merkuri

Explorer
We're going through the World's Largest Dungeon with a very eclectic group, including a cultured kobold bard (me) and a strong-and-smart-as-an-ox orc. As a reward for something I don't remember, the DM gave the orc a table full of random and mostly useless goodies, and at any time he could reach into his pack, roll a die, and pull out one of these random items. It was designed as a source of amusement, rather than an actual thing that could effect the game.

We were waiting for the scout to get back from scouting and were fooling around with a little role play. The kobold was trying to explain to the orc, who was largely oblivious to these things, what they were looking for. Here are some excerpts from the transcript of that game (played over OpenRPG). Tesil is the kobold and Thugdar is the orc (who, remember, is dumb as a brick):

Tesil: "We're looking for more images of the woman."
Thugdar: "We'se look for wimmin'? We got time for dat?"
** Tesil chuckles. "Not that way, Thug." **
Tesil: "It's not a real woman we're looking for, just an illusion of one."
Tesil: "An image, I mean."
** Thugdar works out all the new information. **
Thugdar: OOh, I knows what dat is....
** Thugdar roots through his pack [1d342] => [119] = (119) **
** Thugdar pulls out a rotting animal skin **
Thugdar: Dat like dis? Unkle Thrakt tell me dis is ill-ushin.
Tesil: "No, that's a dead badger."
** Thugdar takes a whiff **
Tesil: "If you could put your hand through it, then it would be an illusion."
** Thugdar puts his hand through the skin with a loud ripping sound. **
Tesil: "Um, that's not what I meant."
Thugdar: Unkle Thrakt smart.
** Thugdar puts the illusion back in his pack. **
** Thugdar 's brains cells start firing.... **
Thugdar: Dat means lots ting ill-ushins....goats, peoples, dat one elly-phant.....
Tesil: "Um, please don't test if things are illusions by putting your hand through them."

wedgeski

Adventurer
Merkuri said:
We're going through the World's Largest Dungeon with a very eclectic group, including a cultured kobold bard (me) and a strong-and-smart-as-an-ox orc. As a reward for something I don't remember, the DM gave the orc a table full of random and mostly useless goodies, and at any time he could reach into his pack, roll a die, and pull out one of these random items. It was designed as a source of amusement, rather than an actual thing that could effect the game.
Ah yes, the old 'kender pockets' theory. :) I can't remember any in particular (I'm sure one of my players could), but it is truly amazing how often the kender PC managed to save the party's bacon by pulling out a feather or a piece of dried dung or one hand off a broken grandfather clock...

Oryan77

Adventurer
My first D&D character was in Dark Sun and he was a human Fighter/Thief.

I found a magic sword that healed me a few HP if I damaged someone else. If you don't know, magic is illegal in the Dark Sun campaign world and magic items are very rare. You're considered a rich man if you own a nonmagical metal weapon (even metal is rare).

This was my prized possession but I guess the DM didn't want me having it anymore. His brother played with us and was about to leave for basic training in the airforce. The last session we played with his brother before he left ended with our group shacked up in a new house and we magically trapped the windows and doors and went to sleep.

The following session without the DMs brother began with us waking up, my money is spread all around the room, my only 2 magic items are missing (the sword and a ring of protection), and the DMs brother's PC is gone. The scene was made to look like a robbery & a kidnapping, but it was poorly executed (the thieves took the time to throw my money around instead of taking it?)

I also didn't get any saving throws or skill checks & the DM never said he rolled any. I played along with it anyway.

A year later the DMs brother was discharged from basic training and came home. He joined our game again and we were told he was kidnapped and he escaped. The first conversation his PC had with mine began with him asking about my old magic sword. Out of game I assumed the DM let him steal that stuff from me but in game I couldn't prove it. But since he mentioned the sword, I used that as a reason why my character would accuse him.

So I hired the Psionist PC and the Half-Giant PC to help me deal with the brothers PC. The first night as he slept, we jumped him & the half giant pinned him down to the bed. The Psionist read his mind and asked me what I want him to look for. I said, "What's the last memory he has of seeing my magic sword?" The DM told us there's a memory of his character handing the sword to an evil crimelord we know. That's all I needed to know, so my character pulled out his dagger, and I looked at the brother and said, "I helped take care of you when you arrived to these lands, now I'm taking you out." I told the DM that I slit his throat.

Oh, but the DM pulled a Doug Douglason move on me and had that same evil crimelord appear in the room just before I slashed his throat. He told me that he has plans for that PC and if I kill him I will be hunted down. That was the last session we played since I moved away shortly after. I learned a lot about DM'ing from that whole scenario.

FunkBGR

Explorer
I have so many, but the best is like the moment in The Gamers, where he has to roll a 20 to hit - and gets it. It's not quite the same, but you'll see.

I'm running DragonStar one shot, to show off how awesome it is. Players are a squad of space marines, sent to investigate a facility on a remote planet. They start investigating, fight some creatures, and are thinking, "hey, this is kind of fun".

Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "it's about time", and that's when I cue up the Aliens-style part of the game. Alien creatures start coming out of the woodwork, and the players end up sealing themselves inside a room, with a broken teleportation device that has no power.

The lone soulmech turns to me, and asks if he can hook his own battery up to the teleporter, and I say, "sure, with a <whatever> check, and you'll start taking damage as it drains you." He agrees, makes the check, no problem. They program the coordinates for their ship, and start jumping in. I start rolling d8's for damage per round, and get some nasty high numbers (6, 7 and 8's). He's taking damage each round as the creatures are slowly getting in, and it's down to 2 people.

That's when the Soulmech informs me he has 2 hit points left. We had established that he could die from this. He tells the last person to jump in, save themselves, and prepares to die.

I roll the die out on the table, in front of everyone. They're all straining to watch it, and holding their breath.

It comes up a 1.

Everyone starts cheering, and we said the Soulmech had just enough juice to get himself out too. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads