What's your favorite haunted castle map?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I did a Halloween "two shot" a couple of years ago using BigFella Games' The Creepy Crawl, available PDF or POD (I have both) on DrivethruRPG. This is an awesome little sandbox adventure for Labyrinth Lord, set in a haunted mountain pass and designed to be humorous and creepy.
I have never heard of this before, but it sounds great. Thanks!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, Morrus is talking about the standard British convention for naming and talking about floors of a building. The ground level is the ground floor. The first one about that (which we would call the second floor here in the US) is the first floor, and so on.
Can confirm from Escape to the Country, the British call the second floor the first floor and so on. Guess it means "first (above the ground) floor"?
An Eldritch people, the Brits.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Welcome!

BJ (who designed this and the other stuff from BigFella) was an incredibly creative gamer. I also have his Thousand Year Sandglass Arabian Nights-style setting book, and it's along the same lines and just as cool. BJ passed away a few years ago and I believe proceeds go to his family.
Oh, yes! I heard about that, especially in connection with Thousand Year Sandglass. Another point in favor of picking this up.

Well, technically (as always) I'm choosing my own maps. These are two maps of the same location, the castle/abbey above the ground and the cellar/dungeons below the ground, created as content for two different map contents. The dungeon level I created for the 2008 One Page Dungeon Contest, and the other created 6 months later for a Cartographers' Guild Map Challenge doing speed mapping. I decided when doing the latter one, it should be the abbey above the dungeon I previously created. These were done in my hand-drawn style, and are among my earliest maps as I began my freelance cartography career, and I've always wanted to publish these as part of an adventure they certainly belong, just never got to doing that. I imagined Lhessadrak as a clerical lich, once a powerful force of good, but when his wife, a paladin was killed in a battle against an undead army, he fell from grace, eventually leading him on the dark path to lichdom. He converted to the Church of Orcus and eventually became it's pontiff, at which point the abbey was constructed for his unholy rites. The dungeon is my favorite of this pair of maps, but both are necessary for an adventure location. I imagined Lhessadrak discovering the existence of and access to the Plane of Blood... enjoy!

View attachment 295538View attachment 295534
This is awesome. I don't suppose you have these in a unnumered (temple) and higher res (dungeon)?

Yora

Legend
I have to say the original Castle Ravenloft map. I know almost nothing about the adventure, but that map alone is stunning.

Remove ads