What's your favorite local game store?

spacecrime.com

First Post
Dave wrote:
I could have sworn that there was a Dragon's Lair [in Worcester]

I believe that branch closed a couple of years ago.

There is still a branch in West Springfield, MA (note that this is a different company from the one in Austin, TX), and I'm told they've added a LAN and some other new features. However, I haven't gotten down there in about six months so I haven't seen what's up.

(I try to visit other stores on a regular basis, but it's hard to get away from my own sometimes. Which is why I love reading threads like these...)

yours,

Lothaire

First Post
Mixmaster said:
Compleat Strategist in NYC.

They're the best in the 5 boros! (they're the only.......) ;)

Not really, there is Neutral Ground (26th, between 6&7th I believe)

But I won't argue with you on the strat being the best. I've gone there many a time just to chat with the people that work there. I always end up buying stuff though...

psionotic

While there a few gamestores in Eugene, there isn't really a great one.

My favorite is probably Emerald City Comics, as they usually get stuff as its released, have a good selection of new and used gaming stuff, and all new gaming materials are 10% off cover price. The majority of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, with one exception. There is no space to play there.

Just down the road lies Planet of Sand, which specializes in miniature combat games. They have a decent selection of new and used stuff, and charge cover price for everything. They tend not to get RPG stuff until everyone else has had it for two weeks, and the staff seems pretty un-knowledgable about RPGs. They have several tables for playing, one is even in its own room, which is cool. Unfortunately, the table are almost always taken by board and mini gamers. The few times I saw people playing D&D, there were only the young unwashed masses of munchkin types I don't typically enjoy playing with. They do have the best fantasy mini selection in town, and carry tons of reaper stuff, which is pretty cool.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
My favorite would be Game Towne. At the corner of Harney and Congress in Old Town. Store's been there since the late 70s (though they did upgrade to a larger building which replaced the original bungalow).

Good selection, the staff games, and much of the RPG stuff is discounted. Best yet, if they don't have an answer to your question regarding an upcoming or currently available product, they will look into it and get back to you.

Then you have all the non-RPG stuff.

We also have Wizards and Gamekeeper stores locally, and a place known as Game Empire, which I haven't been to in years. GE is the gaming headquarters for the local RPGA club. The comic shops roundabouts sometimes carry RPG stuff, but it aint their focus and consequently service is lacking in that area.

Altalazar

First Post
I rather like 21st Century Comics - it is the ultimate gaming store, with comics too, and a large screen TV to watch Anime on for special events, along with several nice tables for gaming on. It is right next to MSU campus.

There is also Rider's Hobby shop here, which has more than just gaming, and is also a good source, but it isn't geared 100% to gamers, just has a few aisles out of many.

21st Century is a cool, relatively new store and I hope it lasts for a long time.

Remove ads