What's your gaming history before coming to 3e?

What's your D&D history look like?

• 3e D&D was the first version of D&D I played (whether or not I've played other RPGs)

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • I started with 2nd edition AD&D, and now play 3e

Votes: 68 19.2%
  • I started with 1st edition AD&D (or earlier), moved to 2nd edition, and now play 3e

Votes: 147 41.5%
  • I started with 1st edition D&D (or earlier), [b]didn't[/b] play (or gave up on) 2nd edition, and now

Votes: 104 29.4%
  • I started with 1st or 2nd edition D&D (or earlier), and [b]still[/b] play the older edition instead

Votes: 11 3.1%

rich_f

First Post
Watched my older cousins playing the Original boxed set, then got hold of the Moldvay edited basic rules a few years later. Played the original expert rules, then moved to ADnD before the re-edit of basic/expert/companion/master/immortal, but came back for a bit because we all loved the GAZ series.

About the time the dungeoneer's and wilderness survival guides came out, I got soured on the game because the group I was in was becoming very rules-lawyer-ish. I felt at the time that the survival guides just enabled that kind of play, given it had tables to check what you were stepping in on the dungeon floor every 10 feet, so I play Basic for a bit longer then quit. When 2E was out, I was pretty turned off by all the extra stuff available for it. I prefer the idea of a few core books and the DM rule-0-ing everything else.

After that I played MUDs, a lot of Rogue, and eventually Magic. When 3E came around, I gave it a shot and have been DMing since mid 2001. I have also started playing 1E again. We're looking at moving the 1E campaign to Hackmaster pretty soon.

rich_f

First Post
Re: Us weirdos

buzz said:

Similarly to another poster, I now spend more money and more time on gaming than I probably ever did before.

Count me in too. Not only do I have an overflow of d20 stuff, via e-bay I've manage to amass most of the stuff I wanted for Basic and 1E when I was kid.

orbitalfreak

First Post
My step-dad (at the time, my mom's new boyfriend) introduced me to the world of fantasy literature, since we both liked sci-fi novels. I read R. E. Feist's Riftwar Saga and was immediately hooked. Later, I read the DragonLance Chronicles and Twins trilogies and found out about some game called "Dungeons and Dragons." Asked him about it, and he said he played when he was a kid.

Few months later, we fired up a 1e game (this is about 1.5 years pre-3e, real late-comer :)) with B2, a home-made adventure, and the original G1-2-3, D1-2, D3, Q1 modules, and another home-made adventure. Swithced to 3e rules about half-way through, and never touched 2e except for the Monstrous Manual.

I voted 1e -> 3e, no 2e.

Berk

First Post
started with classic, still have the original dice and everything from it, then went to 1e, 2e, and now 3e. Loved it all the way up with the feeling that it was always improving which I deffinately feel 3e is the best yet.

Started with the Basic-master sets, then switched over to the cyclopedia. Jumped into 2e a couple years after that came out, then switched as soon as 3e was avialable.

Never liked 1e, don't miss 2e, would like to play some old D&D again sometime.

haiiro

First Post
I guess I fall under "none of the above," as I started with the D&D boxed sets (briefly), skipped 1e entirely, got seriously into gaming when 2e first came out, and then stopped playing 2e when 3e came out.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Started in the late 70s when my brother ran basic D&D for me and then shortly after that switched to Advanced D&D. I've basically played almost every version (except Rules Cyclopedia) since then. I did take a short hiatus from late high school through mid-college, but jumped back in full bore when 2nd Edition came out.

However, I'm considering for the first time not stepping up to 3E version 1.1 or whatever we're calling the books coming out this summer. It will depend on reviews, what exactly is in them (corrections and new stuff), etc.

Remove ads