• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whats your player payoff?

Sigurd

First Post
Nothing fancy or scientific. Just a question.

What do you enjoy about role playing and when have you had a "successful" session?

Sigurd

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like it when my choices pay off -- in the story, in combat, wherever.

I like it when something that has a very good chance of working does in fact work.

I like it when, occasionally, something that had a very poor chance of working does in fact work.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I like it when it feels like the plot has actually progressed forward.

I like having a tough but fair challenge

I like in general a variety of gameplay (if there is enough time, so: combat, rping, diplomacy, investigations, skill-based tasks, chases, etc.

shilsen

Adventurer
I have very eclectic tastes, so there are a ton of different things I enjoy about roleplaying. I enjoy trying to get into the head of an imaginary character with a personality and philosophy of life which varies from my own. I enjoy exploring a fantastic world through the medium of that imaginary character. I enjoy the challenge of defeating enemies in combat, and especially doing so by filtering my tactical abilities through the personality and abilities of the character I'm running. I enjoy filling a useful role in a party. I enjoy seeing my character grow and develop (sometimes in power, sometimes in personality, sometimes in his relations with other PCs and NPCs and the game world, and often a combination of the three) over time. I enjoy sitting around the table and wisecracking with friends while gaming. And a few other things. In short, there are a whole lot of things I enjoy about gaming.

Similarly, what counts as a successful session for me can vary a lot in content. Usually, having a good time at the game with a mix of talking and action, and being a functional part of the group (and sometimes it's fun just to watch the others in action even if I'm not - or choose not to be - involved) both as a player and a PC, is enough for me.

Rechan

Adventurer
To repeat two of the above:

I like it when it feels like the plot has actually progressed forward.

I like it when something that has a very good chance of working does in fact work.

My own answer:

I like getting away with a creative use of a spell.

I like figuring out a clue that no one thought of (Let's check for secret writing, revealed by moonlight. It worked! YES!).

I love it when I come up with a plan, execute it, and it works. The James Bond infiltration of the enemy fortress, or a pre-planned tactical situation where 'you cast this, you move there, and you wait for the signal' pays off.

I love it when interesting, exciting stuff happens in combat. I'm the guy bullrushes enemies out of windows when he's attacked in his bedroom, jumps on tables and picks up steak knives when he's disarmed, and asks "Can I throw the wizard's summoned badger at the enemy?"

Finally: I love it when I say or do something hilarious and yet appropriate. Like giving a speech to terrified townsfolk, or con a guard, or interrogate a prisoner, and it has everyone in stitches and also clapping at the same time.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The company of friends, tactical challenge, system mastery, world exploration, experiencing the high quality creativity of others, team role, speaking in character and seeing a character concept work as intended.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I like it when the game I'm playing in is internally consistent (both mechanically and thematically), making good on its promises of heroism, simulationism, etc. Inviting me to play in Harn and then propping it up with D&D won't sit well with me, nor will inviting me to play in a D&D setting such as FR and then trying to 'gritty it up' with a system like HarnMaster.

I like it when actual play honors the promises that you make up front. When you say "Let's play D&D!" -- I expect high adventure, overly competent heroes, generally low lethality in combat, etc. If you say "Let's play D&D!" and then add a bunch of house rules after play begins that diminish the high magic, slow down XP progression, and make combat ultra-lethal. . . well. . . that's bullocks.

That said, I do have a caveat in place -- if you tell me up front that we'll be playing in setting X but using rule set Y specifically to obtain a different kind of 'feel', then that's fine. In this instance you aren't promising me one thing and then delivering another without my consent. It's the promising one thing and delivering something else bit that I really hate. Aside from this, I'm open to play or run pretty much anything.

sniffles

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
The company of friends, tactical challenge, system mastery, world exploration, experiencing the high quality creativity of others, team role, speaking in character and seeing a character concept work as intended.

What he said.

Jeysie

First Post
I like when a session resembles a good bit of improv. Where the DM and players successfully interact with and play off each other to form a fun, entertaining, cohesive story for the night.

It's also, of course, nice to do things like win a bit of combat, succeed at a task, or execute a particularly brilliant plan. But really it's having a rolicking good time that's the important part. Some of the sessions we had the most fun were ones where the dice managed to go so bad that everything completely went to heck in an incredibly hilarious way.

MrWildman

Explorer
Well, in a nutshell:

The part of role-playing I enjoy most is simply- all of it.
Character creation, background story, number-crunching. Leveling up, gaining power and getting cooler . That first magic item. Strategizin' with the party and talkin' smack to NPCs. Even the bittersweet sigh as you add yet another name to the List Of The Fallen. All of it.

And I guess I'd define a successful session as one that "won't lay down". You know, when the session has officially ended (probably with a bang), but everyone's still talking about it- waving arms and slapping backs, boasting, laughing, interrupting each other. Re-enacting pivotal scenes and repeating quotable quotes: something he said, something you said, something I should have said. . .
Best of all is the puzzled looks you draw as you all chuckle and shake your heads when one of you says something nonsensical, like: "Does the dirt cover the smoke?" or ""All walls have gates!" or some-such.

Peace.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads