What's your style?

Tony Vargas

Legend
As a DM, my style tends towards the improvisational, especially when running a campaign and when the players are providing their own characters. I'll run with and fill in the details the players are interested in, and the rest is establishing shots and broad strokes.

OTOH, if I run at a convention, I might have a definite story in mind, and provide pregens that work with it. In those cases, each character will have a succinct description of personality, goals, and relations with the other characters.

As a player, I like to do a build-to-concept that works in the system, and develop the character by interacting with the world and the other characters, I like the problem-solving inherent in overcoming challenges, and doing so using the abilities of a PC that might be very, very different from myself, gets back around to developing the character. But, I'm also happy to just approach the game as a game, and the character as a piece in it, or as a collaborative storytelling exercise, or as an imagined reality with internal consistency. Play style isn't a sticking point, for the most part. What does matter is the quality of the system and the ability of the GM.

But, really, most of the things I hear called out as being 'styles' as if they were mutually exclusive or self-contained, feel to me more like aspects of playing an RPG, they are games, they do tell a cooperative story, they do model a setting or genre, but no game or gamer is 100% simulationist or gamist or narrativist, every campaign touches on all three or it doesn't make much sense.
I guess you could say I have a 'syncretic' style, then.

Saelorn: I think it's a little weird how people are arguing with you over your professed style, it's your style, I know you're not going to be talked out of it, and it shouldn't be hurting anyone else.
Maybe it's that you're trying to claim the mantle of 'Traditional' for a style that emphasizes what, back in the day (the early 80s - and, I'm guessing, back to the origin of D&D and the wargames that preceded it) we'd've called "realism." Thing is, there was a big debate about the relevance of realism to D&D back in the 80s, too, and, (IMHO, IIRC, at least judging from the pages of The Dragon and the range of people I gamed with), realism didn't exactly come out on top (indeed, people will rarely cop to 'wanting realism,' today, preferring verisimilitude or simulationism or some other neologism not tainted by all the points scored against realism back then). Rather, traditional or old-school D&D was very much a game, a treasure-hunting game or a war-game, depending, but a game - the RP aspect was tantalizing, but it took a little time to really come to the fore. By the time 2e was the current edition (which, IIRC, is when you joined the hobby), that'd happened, and the whole Role vs Roll and storytelling stuff was the big controversy.
Anyway, point is: you might get less push-back if you didn't try to wrap yourself in the mantle of 'Tradition.'

Last edited:

this allows for certainty that the world is consistent, even in the background that never appears on-screen, at least to the degree that the GM is competent and trustworthy. (This mirrors our real world and most fictional worlds, which have one consistent authority on how everything works - the laws of physics - and where anyone disagreeing with that authority is simply mistaken).

And here I'd point out that the laws of physics should be consistent in most settings - but sociology certainly isn't. And having one single authority on how sociology and other person-made systems work and making them even internally consistent makes them less realistic.

Balesir

Adventurer
OTOH, if I run at a convention, I might have a definite story in mind, and provide pregens that work with it. In those cases, each character will have a succinct description of personality, goals, and relations with the other characters.
Interesting; when I run at conventions these days it tends to be pretty small, indie conventions (HârnCon and the like), and the main approach has become to carefully craft some pregen characters with personal briefings on an interesting situation - then let the players essentially get on with it. I don't try for a specific story, or have any set "adventure", just a situation that is ripe with conflict (generally non-violent, at least to begin with) and opportunity. Then see what happens.

Saelorn: I think it's a little weird how people are arguing with you over your professed style, it's your style, I know you're not going to be talked out of it, and it shouldn't be hurting anyone else.
<snippage>
Anyway, point is: you might get less push-back if you didn't try to wrap yourself in the mantle of 'Tradition.'
What prompted me to respond was not so much overtones of "tradition" as claims that the described style was "the heart of roleplaying" and the implication that immersive character play is only possible this way. I have a plethora of experience that suggests that this is not the case. There is nothing wrong with the 'authoritarian GM administering a rigidly controlled world to the players' model as one of many styles of play, but to imply that it is a superior or more authentic way to play is simply inaccurate, IME.

And here I'd point out that the laws of physics should be consistent in most settings - but sociology certainly isn't. And having one single authority on how sociology and other person-made systems work and making them even internally consistent makes them less realistic.
I don't care about the realism nearly as much as I care about the consistency. The integrity of the model is more important to me than what it happens to be modelling. YMMV.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Interesting; when I run at conventions these days it tends to be pretty small, indie conventions (HârnCon and the like), and the main approach has become to carefully craft some pregen characters with personal briefings on an interesting situation - then let the players essentially get on with it. I don't try for a specific story, or have any set "adventure", just a situation that is ripe with conflict (generally non-violent, at least to begin with) and opportunity. Then see what happens.
Nod. That's not far off what I mean by "might have a definite story in mind." I might have it mind it might or might not be all that definite, but I don't necessarily expect it to play out that way. ;) I do like setting up backgrounds and situations and reacting to the players more than blocking out scenes, for instance. But the idea is still have a good story play out. Mabye working towards a specific climax, or a theme. The last two years, though, I've been running old modules converted to 5e... so more exploration than story, and personality traits/bonds/flaws rather than background/goals/relations.

Last edited:

Balesir

Adventurer
I don't care about the realism nearly as much as I care about the consistency. The integrity of the model is more important to me than what it happens to be modelling. YMMV.
I think consistency is important in just about all styles of play - it's just that some allow or even expect a certain amount of ambiguity (not knowing, essentially). Ambiguity is not inconsistent - consistency may squeeze it out of existence, and that's fine, but stuff that happens off stage can easily be ambiguous for some time. I think this is an important distinction.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
As a player, my play goal is to perform as a character, so any mechanic that suggests I be a narrator/storyteller/worldbuilder/co-DM instead, or that emphasizes metagame concepts as strong influences on my decision-making in play, is on shaky ground. It tends to make the entire experience feel shallow and empty for me. It doesn't do what I want an RPG to do.

As a DM, my play goal is to provide an interesting conflict for the players. A game that gives the players plenty of interesting conflicts within the game system is excellent. One that is more open-ended and vaguely defined might struggle. I tend to be very improvisational, so the more mechanical and narrative "props" the game comes with, the more interesting and exciting ideas can bubble to the surface.

These are some of the many reasons why a lot of Indie games and FATE fail to appeal to me. They just don't deliver on the goals I have for play most of the time. Though they often have some neat ideas.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Have you tried Dungeon world yet? It sounds like it might be a good fit (either playing or GMing).
Haven't had a chance to play DW, but I own it. It's solid. Jargony as frick (which is a complaint I can leverage against a whole BUNCH of indie games), and a bit too open-ended to give good improv grist, but good bones. Mostly I just loot some of its ideas for D&D, though. ;)

I think consistency is important in just about all styles of play - it's just that some allow or even expect a certain amount of ambiguity (not knowing, essentially). Ambiguity is not inconsistent - consistency may squeeze it out of existence, and that's fine, but stuff that happens off stage can easily be ambiguous for some time. I think this is an important distinction.
It also works the other way, though - too much ambiguity can squeeze consistency out of existence, and there's no way to know if that's happening unless you have a central authority keeping track of everything.

I've briefly looked through 13th Age, at least enough to learn that I could never play it, and one of the things that immediately jumped out at me was an example of this point. Forgive me for getting the details fuzzy, since it's been a while, but the gist of it was that the game uses a lot of abstraction in some of its power resolutions, which can lead to unresolvable situations.

I think it was something like a Fireball spell, which said you could hit X% of the enemies if you aimed it conservatively, but that you could get Y% of the enemies if you were reckless and also hit Z% of your allies. Just reading it, we can all visualize what's going on in this scenario - where everyone is positioned, based on who needs to be sacrificed in order to hit which other enemies - because we've probably seen something like it before in old D&D. And that's fine. But then someone else goes, and they use some other power which would require some number of those people to be in some specified relative locations in order to work, and even if we account for off-turn movement (which is perfectly fine in an abstract combat round), we don't know that it's possible to reconcile the new positions with the old ones unless we have some central authority that's responsible for tracking everything (either the DM does it in their head, for a theater-of-the-mind style, or you put it all out on a map for everyone to see).

I know we were talking about laws of physics and social conventions and that sort of thing, but it's the same point - without one central authority, consistency is threatened. Some people may not care about that, based on how they prioritize things, but it's kind of a big deal to certain playstyles.

Remove ads