• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Novices and Accepted commonly enjoy these relationships as comfort during the hardships of White Tower training, but are viewed as a thing of girlhood[1] and are almost universally abandoned upon gaining the shawl. Some attempt to continue the relationships even as Aes Sedai though.”

This was the summary from the Wiki. Though I could check the source. I remember several quotes where Aes Sedai comment that pillow friends is something for novices.

I think it’s a good thing that they have addressed this. As currently Elaida and Galina where two of the few known gay characters… before Brandon Sanderson came along. We definitely didn’t want the gay-characters-are-evil trope coming along.
Well, this is something I think you need to get metacommentary from the author on, because in-universe sources such as the one cited are unreliable narrators a lot of the time. I'm not sure entirely what to make of the below, but for the record:

ROBERT JORDAN

Oh, I wanted to add something here because of gender stereotypes and so forth. Somebody asked me why didn't I have any, in another question and answer session, asked me why didn't I have any gay characters in the books. I do, but that's not my bag to bring out the question of gender stereotypes and the whole nine yards. And they're just running around doing the things that they do and you can figure out who some of them are. If you want to help them, I don't care. It's not the point if they're gay or not gay, okay?

ROBERT JORDAN

For jofraz, I have gay and lesbian characters in my books, but the only time it has really come into the open is with the Aes Sedai because I haven't been inside the heads of any other characters who are either gay or bi. For the most part, in this world such things are taken as a matter of course. Remember, Cadsuane is surprised that Shalon and Ailil were so hot to hide that they had been sharing a bed even knowing how prim and proper Cairhienin are on the surface. Well, for many it is just on the surface.

There's been an accidental leak of a few very short clips from Episodes 7 and 8. Amazon has been really good at catching them and getting them taken down, but they are out there if you search for them. Most notably we see Ishamael seemingly tempting Rand with a normal life back in the Two Rivers with Egwene, and Rand doing a lot of channeling. There are a couple of clips from what is obviously Tarwin's Gap, and the trollocs are getting absolutely nuked. And that is pretty much a literal, not metaphorical, description of the amount of power Rand is using; the amount of power Nynaeve used is truly a candle compared to Rand's sun. He apparently also gets the lead in a circle with at least Egwene and Nynaeve (and two others who are hard to make out, although one appears to be in blue, so probably Moiraine), and things get even crazier...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's been an accidental leak of a few very short clips from Episodes 7 and 8. Amazon has been really good at catching them and getting them taken down, but they are out there if you search for them. Most notably we see Ishamael seemingly tempting Rand with a normal life back in the Two Rivers with Egwene, and Rand doing a lot of channeling. There are a couple of clips from what is obviously Tarwin's Gap, and the trollocs are getting absolutely nuked. And that is pretty much a literal, not metaphorical, description of the amount of power Rand is using; the amount of power Nynaeve used is truly a candle compared to Rand's sun. He apparently also gets the lead in a circle with at least Egwene and Nynaeve (and two others who are hard to make out, although one appears to be in blue, so probably Moiraine), and things get even crazier...
So many years on, it's easy for me to forget how gobsmacking the climax to book one really was.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nailed it: there are a lot of Magic items in the books that do some pretty gnarly stuff.
I don't remember that Ter'angreal, though. Still, it's a cool one. I always felt the one place Jordan fell short was in the number of different kinds of Ter'angreal.

Remove ads