Wheel of Time....good series to read after Hobbit/LotR?

Nytmare

David Jose
If you're ok with comedic fantasy, you HAVE to try a couple of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. They're brilliant.

Has anyone read any of Robert Asprin's Myth series recently? I absolutely loved them growing up, but I tried reading the first book he wrote after his seven year sabbatical and found it to be heart-breakingly bad. I always assumed it was just that he was really (REALLY) out of practice, but I've never had the nerve to go back and possibly train wreck my fond, childhood memories.

Nellisir

Hero
OK, for a different take on LotR, read The Fionavar Tapestry, a trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay. For a single book work that is on many top 10 (or top 5) lists, read Tigana, also by Guy Gavriel Kay.
For something rather different and gritty, read The Black Company by Glen Cook, at least the first three books and The Silver Spike.
For something "epic", Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn by Tad Williams is interesting.
For a different branch of mythological fantasy, read the Riddle-Master of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip.
For a D&D paladin "done right", read the Deed of Paksenarrion, as mentioned previously.
For something completely different and mind-blowing, read The Wizard Knight, a duology by Gene Wolfe.
For contemporary high(ish) fantasy, read Game of Thrones.
For gritty fantasy, read The First Law trilogy, by Joe Abercrombie.
For classic material, read The Chronicles of Amber, the Elric Saga, Lankhmar, or Conan

And for something brilliant and funny, Discworld. Yes.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I would read something else. Sure, each book might have 100 pages that are good, but you have to sift through 400 pages of Robert Jordan's, um, boring obsessions to find them. The first book is great fun, the second is decent, the third is mediocre.
Exactly! Except I'd have said the number of good pages starts at about 200 in the first book, the second about 100, the third about 50, etc.
I cannot honestly recommend to start reading the series.

Remove ads