• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time

FlameFrost

Explorer
I am currently reading the wheel of time , but as the series is kind of long , I am wondering if it is worth plowing trough al 9 or 10 books ? :heh: :heh: :heh:

Please no spoilers .... :(

GSHamster

Adventurer
First off, the series isn't finished yet. The end is not really in sight. (I estimate 3-4 more books). Second, it does slow down significantly in the last half.

It all depends on what you consider is 'worth it'. I'd say yes, it's still relatively interesting. However, if there's something else you're considering reading, read that instead. The Wheel of Time will still be waiting (unfinished) when you're done with that.

Mystery Man

First Post
As they progress it seems as if he's writing the same book, same formula, over and over again. They got too tedious for me and I stopped reading them. YMMV of course. Put me in the "not worth it" category.

fett527

First Post
I'd go with the worth it column. I have really enjoyed the complexity of the series. You may want to wait until he is finished as my only complaint has been forgetting most of the material waiting for the next book. There is a lot. I've even considered recently rereading them. It would certainly save me cash on books next year.

Laurel

First Post
Just my humble personal opinion

Worth it, but not now. Jordan is taking years to write each book, and though the first few were excellent that last few have been diappointments in comparison.

He does tend to go off describing every character in detail, some who you never see again and some you see at least once every few chapters each book. He also does wonderful on decribing scene's but again sometimes it take pages and pages. In the grand scheme though, those are small peeves; thus the reason I still have to say these are great.

He took time from the series to write the prequel book, so he's even further behind the semblance of a schedule he has (if he has an official one I have no idea) GRRRRR!

When the series is done in it's entirety (if it ever is) then I will recommend it to everyone.

If you can read a book and not know the end for years and years then go for it read 'em. If you can't wait, there are lots of other books out there also worth reading. :):):)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My personal view - the first five books are worth reading, but not beyond that. Unless you like characters which never grow emotionally, confide in one another, work together etc :)

(I may be overstating the point here, but I read 6, 7 and gave up on 8... they had lost the fire and passion in the story and writing which was appealing in the early ones, and early promise just got squandered.)

Only a personal opinion, I'm sure others love the series.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I would say not worth it. I only read the first 5 books and the characters still haven't done the stuff they said they would do.

If you want to read it, I would wait till its finished, they you and your grandkids will have something to talk about.

drothgery

First Post
My view is that eight of the ten novels so far have been very good to excellent. The two that haven't been, though, are two of the last three. I wouldn't recommend anyone start reading the series now; if RJ finishes the series strongly (still possible) with two or three good novels, I'll start recommending the books again. But I've sunk too much time and effort into the universe, so I'll probably be buying hardcovers of the rest of the series within days of release unless Book 11 is truly awful (rather than just uneventful, like book 10).

The Serge

First Post
I'd recommend it. I think most of the comments about the slowness in most of the recent installments is accurate; however, there is no doubt in my mind that Jordan has had a tremendous impact on "genre" fantasy and that, if he can pull his head out of his donkey, he could really end this huge cycle strongly. Also, I do believe that his characters are far deeper than most in other high fantasy novels, making them interesting and worthy of our concern for their fates. All in all, I'd say that these novels are fairly sophisticated for genre fantasy.

Of course, if you want to wait for the novels, I'd say go for George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice cycle. These novels are very sophisticated and move forward at a great pace. The mood is sombre and sometimes down right terrifying. There is little doubt that if Martin finishes this series (he's writing four of a planned seven), they'll be considered of the best fantasy cycles of all time.

Jeremy

Explorer
I can't refute the commonly pointed out flaws of the series and the author. But I can say I've read and enjoyed every book and put it solidly in the 'Worth it' column. But the people who rag it have valid points.

Remove ads