• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Bad Luck Strikes... and Persists

WayneLigon

Adventurer
My luck is normally terrible, especially in D&D. Now that we're playing a Call of Cthulhu/d20 Modern mix, it seems to have changed for the better. But even as a DM, the party would waltz through terrible, horrific encounters with nary a scratch because I'd roll so very badly. Normally all our rolls are out in the open, so they could see that it was just one string of 1,4,2,1,5 after another.

Session after session, time after time. Not isolated at all.

Cursed, I tell you! Cursed!

Brings to mind an incident long ago. A new player joined us and she fit right in. She wasn't crude in any way, never had a bad word to say about anyone. Then her dice luck changed one night and she finally stood up, screamed Eric's Grandmother's Censored This Line and threw her dice all ther way across the room. Just totally lost it. Man, was she embarrased the next day.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

All science aside, dice become imbued with your personal energy. They will roll according to your attitude. Sure, not all the time, but when you really need a roll, your confidence level will determine the outcome of the roll.

Sounds like you started off with a streak of bad luck, and now you almost expect to roll badly. Your DM needs to intervene at this point in time and make a few rolls go your way to build your confidence. Then your confident energy should flow into your dice changing your luck.

If this doesn't work, just buy some new dice. Test them out before the purchase if you are able...)

Frostmarrow

First Post
Katerek said:
Well, you know what they say: "If you aint cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

You could go get one of the d20's that came bundled with the Formula De game, they are numbered 11 to 20 twice. I think Formula De dice can be bought seperately as well.

As a side note...FD is a really fun game I encourage anyone to try it.

<OT>I absolutely love this game! With my group we have all tracks save two and are playing it virtually every week.

You know what I'd wish for? Formula Dé dice geared differently. Say a 2 gear dice numbered 2-5 instead of 3-4 or something like that. You could buy dice and customize your car. Sadly, casting dice is a very expensive affair. :(</OT>

I don't believe in luck. Only perceptions. We have this guy in our Formula Dé game who blames everything on bad luck. The thing is he rolls just as good or bad as everyone else. His tactics aren't flawless but he attributes his lack of success on his dice rolls. He just makes a big deal about every bad roll and gives no attention to the good rolls. Then he only remember the bad rolls. Naturally.

Last edited:

Chriskaballa

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
Sounds like you started off with a streak of bad luck, and now you almost expect to roll badly. Your DM needs to intervene at this point in time and make a few rolls go your way to build your confidence. Then your confident energy should flow into your dice changing your luck.

If this doesn't work, just buy some new dice.

A few points on this:

1) I don't expect to roll badly. I don't WANT to roll badly. I pick up some dice, say "This one's at +6" and toss them on the table.

2) You say the DM should intervene and make a few rolls go my way... how can he force that?

3) I own over 200 dice. I've tried them all. I've tried the dice of my other two friends who are playing. I've tried the DM's dice. I've even tried the gold-colored Holy Dice of Ni that are legendary at my table for rolling high when they're called on (usually once per gaming session). NOTHING works. It's not the dice. I'm cursed, I tell you...

~~Chris

lokiqc

Explorer
I used to be cursed too and no matter what I tried nothing seemed to work (unless I DM! Then it's critical after critical "insert evil grin") ....untill....

I started using a decoy. I roll twice. The first roll doesn't count but the second one count. Be sure to tell your DM if you plan on using that strategy. Definitely worked for me. In fact I GARANTY it'll work for you or your money back. Send check or money order to....

hehe take care

KnowTheToe

First Post
Shadeus said:

I've been there too. I even have in my campaign notes where I chucked a d8 into the woods when it refused to roll anything but 1s or 2s a record 12 rolls consecutively. We were 3 hp away from a TPK too at the time.

This is true, Shadeus wrote about this on the boards awhile back, or someone else did and throwing dice into the woods is a lot more common than I thought.

I played a dwarven cleric who did not roll one successful hit in 3 (4 hour) sessions of gaming. You are not alone.

Last edited:

MadWand

First Post
Generate a long sequence of random numbers from 1-20 in Excel or a similar package. Caluclate their average to make sure you arrive at 10.5. Instead of rolling dice, take your rolls in sequence from the chart. You have to verify this is Ok with your DM of course, but this makes sure your "luck" is exactly average. You could even give the chart to your DM, so you don't know what roll is going to come up.

F5

Explorer
To go back to what Mark and Shadeus were saying earlier in the thread, try to minimize the amount of dice-rolling you have to do.

As someone who is cursed with long spans of bad dice-luck, that's what I do. Focus on area-effect type spells, which require the target to make a reflex save, rather than requiring you to make a hit roll. If possible, rather than firing arrows that may or may not hit, douse an entire area in oil and light the bad guys up.

It's not always possible to do this stuff, of course...and it works much better if you're a spellcaster or a rogue than if you are, say, a barbarian. And when you have to make rolls (like, in melee, say) use flanking, higher ground, Bull's Strength, whatever bonus you can get your hands on. You may have just rolled a 6, but with enough bonuses you may hit anyway. But I've found that when bad rolls start making the game less fun (and they DO make the game less fun), your best bet is not to try not to roll until it starts getting fun again.

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
Chris, I've been working through meditation and guided visualization, and I can get rid of headaches, speed up the healing of normal injuries, and enhance the flow of vital energies through the body.

I've also recently learned some distance healing techniques that allow me to use my abilities without being anywhere near my intended recipient.

I'm saying this because I'd like to give you the chance to take advantage of a very special offer. For a limited time, I'm trying to make some side money, and I'm willing to use positive Chi visualization to improve your dice-luck.

Basic Service: $29.95/month

I will meditate at least three times per week and attempt to uncurse your dice. I'll visualize the dice rolling higher, at least 5's on the d6's and in the 16-20 range on d20's. This should increase your average noticeably. I'll need a description of the dice, as detailed as possible, and you may wish to switch to new dice with a distinct pattern -- Tiger's Eye or Rose Quartz or something no one else at the table has.

Warning: Dice may begin to glow under Ultraviolet Light or set off airport security alarms. Dice may also feel warm or cool to the touch.

Premium Service: $39.95/month

I will meditate five times per week on both you and your dice, helping you subconsciously alter your hand movements to roll more effectively while also affecting the balance of the dice. This should help all dice rolls significantly, regardless of what dice you use. I'll need a detailed description of the dice you plan to use regularly, and I'll also need you to wear some signifier so that I can lock onto you -- for example, wearing a special wristband while you sleep and while you game.

Warning: Dice may cause damage to table by sheer kinetic force being exerted through them. Also, you may experience unwanted side effects, such as abnormal sexual potency and stamina, regrowth of hair despite prior baldness, and sudden inheritance of large amounts of money.

Gold Option Service: $79.95/month

In addition to Premium Service, I'll be available once per week for up to four hours at a time, to do visualization exercises WHILE YOU GAME. Because the best results happen immediately, I'll not only be helping you overall, but I'll be helping you directly while you game. It's vitally important that you wear the wristband at these times.

Warning: DM may suddenly develop a crush on you as the Chi energy makes you that much more of a Charismatic presence. Wear loose clothing during games, as you may experience sudden growth of muscular mass, and in rare instances, actual increase in height by one to two inches. Try to wear sunglasses so that, on the off chance that beams of power suddenly start shooting from your eyes, people will have a better chance to avoid being blinded or bisected by the energy.

Act now, Chris! Better Dice-Rolling can be yours!

-Tacky :D

Remove ads