• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When can you draw a weapon as part of a regular move?

cthulhu_duck

First Post
Until you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, drawing a weapon is a move action.

Once you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.

But... what counts as a regular move? Over the last couple of years I've seen weapons drawn via the above rule in moves as diverse as 30' normal movement, charges, tumbling and five foot steps - is there anything that could clear up when you can draw a weapon combined with a "regular move"?

DanMcS

Explorer
cthulhu_duck said:
Until you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, drawing a weapon is a move action.

Once you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.

But... what counts as a regular move? Over the last couple of years I've seen weapons drawn via the above rule in moves as diverse as 30' normal movement, charges, tumbling and five foot steps - is there anything that could clear up when you can draw a weapon combined with a "regular move"?

A move action (30' for humans) obviously qualifies.

Charging doesn't- it's not a regular move, it's a full-round action.

Tumbling should, you tumble as part of a regular move, so you should be able to do whatever else that can be combined with a regular move, including drawing a weapon.

A 5' step isn't a move, so it doesn't qualify. So you can't 5' step, draw as a free action, and get a full attack. You need quick-draw for that.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
cthulhu_duck said:

I've always considered a 'regular move' to be the move action, Move. As in, taking a move action to move up to your speed. No charging, no crawling, no 5' steps.

Tumbling as part of that regular move wouldn't prohibit drawing a weapon.

I have a vague memory of an answer from WotC saying something similar, but it's not in the FAQ that I can see, so it may have been CustServ or RotG.

But as far as I know, there isn't anything in the rules that clarifies what is meant by 'regular move' (or, indeed, 'normal movement' as referenced in the Tumble description).

-Hyp.

Kalshane

First Post
While it might not be RAW, I see no problem with allowing a character to draw a weapon while charging. It's a very samurai-esque dashing forward and drawing as you attack sort of thing in my mind.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kalshane said:
While it might not be RAW, I see no problem with allowing a character to draw a weapon while charging. It's a very samurai-esque dashing forward and drawing as you attack sort of thing in my mind.

Samurai should have Quick Draw ;)

-Hyp.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
My ninja alternate character has Quick Draw, Leap Attack, Raptor School, and Flick of the Wrist ... Sunblade 4 teh w1n. He can draw as part of a jumping freak out and cut your head off "Real Ultimate Power" maneuver.

Other than that, I usually just allow the weapon draws on some form of movement that isn't a "move action". It's not so much of a big deal, to be honest and IMHO, that it adds anything to the game to say: "You can't draw as part of a charge/5'step, Bob, so no attack for you this round."

--fje

cthulhu_duck

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I have a vague memory of an answer from WotC saying something similar, but it's not in the FAQ that I can see, so it may have been CustServ or RotG.

RotG? Ah! Rules of the Game.... some quick googling later:

Drawing or Sheathing a Weapon: Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, usually is a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, drawing (but not sheathing) a weapon is a nonaction that you can take along with a regular move (that is, a move action that you use to move up to your speed across the battlefield). If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two weapons (either light or one-handed weapons) either as a move action or as a nonaction along with a regular move.
Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050628a

(edit: Source URL added)

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
cthulhu_duck said:
Could someone with the special edition of the 3.5 PHB possibly check and see if it's clarified in there?

Isn't it just wonderful that we are have evolved to this? :(

I mean having to check a later printing to find any Stealth Errata, since it is not in the errata itself.

I'll check my copy when I get home tonight, if someone else hasn't beaten me to it.

nittanytbone

First Post
If you allow characters to draw as a free action as part of a 5' step, then Quick Draw is useless, as you can nearly always take a 5' step and still full-attack your target (if you're that close to start with).

Thus, I'd agree with HyperSmurf.

30 Move (perhaps with tumbling mixed in)? Yes.
Charge? No. You can still move in and attack, you just can't get your +2 to hit/power attack craziness in.
5' Step? Definitely not.

If you want to charge/5' step and draw as a free action, that's what Quickdraw is for.

Remove ads