• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When Did 5E Peak Quality Wise?

It's the temp hp each round that I found game-breaking, making it virtually impossible for enemies to take any party members down to zero hp. If the enemies focus-fired on the cleric they simply healed themselves whilst the wizard ripped them to shreads. The long range darkvision is situationally powerful, but not overly so on it's own, and clerics get plenty of good core spells so domain spells don't matter. Also, flying.

But that's my experience, which was it's game-breaking. Other playstyles may differ.
I don't know if I would ever call it broken.

its just turn out like something that you wouldn't allow at a table if was homebrew because it's not really a coherent theme. What does the temporary hit points, armor/weapons, and floating around like a balloon even have to do with anything?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Honestly, this whole thread is where 5E has been/where it's going and whether we're on board with that.

I'm not personally fond of 5E dredging up 4E materials. I left 4E for Pathfinder, after all.

Though I'd gladly bring back Bloodied, possibly as a condition.
While I can't speak for everyone of course, it does seem that companies that would otherwise do 3pp work are instead doing their own thing. Darrington, Kobold, EN, Matt Collville, and others are all doing their own stand alone games. Mage Hand Press has come out on their Patreon against One D&D as well. The new edition may or may not be successful, but WotC D&D will almost certainly have less support from the community.

Stormonu

Legend
While I can't speak for everyone of course, it does seem that companies that would otherwise do 3pp work are instead doing their own thing. Darrington, Kobold, EN, Matt Collville, and others are all doing their own stand alone games. Mage Hand Press has come out on their Patreon against One D&D as well. The new edition may or may not be successful, but WotC D&D will almost certainly have less support from the community.
Like the 3E bubble when 3.5 came out, I think companies are looking at the kerfluffle with the OGL and reconsidering staking their company on someone else's stuff, especially when that company (WotC) is willing to pick up the ball and go home. Also, whenever WotC decides to take its own branch in the path, there's always someone willing to support the old trail, and I'm glad for that.

mamba

Legend
I see Kobold as a 3PP of D&D still. Sure, they are creating their own version, but they will continue making other products that work with both, and let’s face it, that means most of the time they will be used with 5e/1DD.

Matt always wanted to make his own game, this just accelerated the timeline. The same seems to be true for the other Matt (Mercer).

EN already has Level Up, so no change here.

No idea about Mage Hand Press.

So ultimately not much has changed, we will see what is a 5e compatible game to hedge their bets (Kobold, C7, to a degree EN) and what is not (unclear about where the rest end up)

I think 5e as a platform is stronger than ever with this, even if WotC’s take on it should falter.

mamba

Legend
I think companies are looking at the kerfluffle with the OGL and reconsidering staking their company on someone else's stuff, especially when that company (WotC) is willing to pick up the ball and go home.
they were willing to, but they were ‘persuaded’ not to, and with the switch to CC they no longer can, ever.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I see Kobold as a 3PP of D&D still. Sure, they are creating their own version, but they will continue making other products that work with both, and let’s face it, that means most of the time they will be used with 5e/1DD.

Matt always wanted to make his own game, this just accelerated the timeline. The same seems to be true for the other Matt (Mercer).

EN already has Level Up, so no change here.

No idea about Mage Hand Press.

So ultimately not much has changed, we will see what is a 5e compatible game to hedge their bets (Kobold, C7, to a degree EN) and what is not (unclear about where the rest end up)

I think 5e as a platform is stronger than ever with this, even if WotC’s take on it should falter.
The stand alone work of all these 3pp doesn't seem like a hedge to me. I guess we all have our biases.

mamba

Legend
The stand alone work of all these 3pp doesn't seem like a hedge to me. I guess we all have our biases.
I split them in two groups, the 5e compatible ones (KP, C7, EN). For them not creating an incompatible game is a hedge.
Not so sure about EN though, because they did before the OGL stuff (and the rules vs adventure / setting book is heavily tilted towards rules for them, unlike the other two).

But C7 and KP will definitely keep on producing books that are compatible with D&D and not focused on their own TTRPG. That is the hedge to me, steering so close to 5e to be interchangeable and be able to get sales from both.

For the Matts we will have to see, but going in an incompatible direction is much more of a risk for that 3pp than staying in the ‘comfort zone’ where people can (and will) buy your stuff to use with 5e, instead of having to rely on the success of their own TTRPG for any sales.

So yes, the stand alone work is not a hedge, but half of them are not going to have any actual stand alone work, it will still heavily lean on D&D compatibility and players. That is the hedge.

Last edited:

Remove ads