• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did gnomes fall from grace?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
The main gripe I have seen players have with gnomes and halflings is the movement rate and the small weapons they must use. -10 move and one die size lower damage is not worth plus one to hit and ac. In AD&D, they moved at 9, compared to larger pcs 12, which is really not much. How often dio you need to move more than 90 feet? And a fighter who's sword does as much damage as the mage's dagger just sucks. 3.5 made the changes a bit better at the cost of more rules to remember - at least a gnome/halfling can weild a 1d10 greatsword now. The size penalties make one look elsewhere. A grappled gnome is a dead gnome. I would like to play a gnome sometime, but I ain't sucking up those size penalties.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
LordMelquiades said:
I suggest the following key components:
  • explosive oil
  • contact poison
  • negative energy
  • swarm template

um shouldn't gnome intimacy and mating rituals be left for the Book of Erotic Fantasy (LordMelquiades' Personal Edition):)

Hey, people know their limitations. Playing something as mundane as a human, elf or dwarf is easy, but players are intimidated by the exalted nature of the mighty Gnome. ;)

I love Gnomes, but unfortunately, out of all the D&D settings only Eberron and Taladas do them justice.

Vocenoctum

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
The size penalties make one look elsewhere. A grappled gnome is a dead gnome. I would like to play a gnome sometime, but I ain't sucking up those size penalties.

Really, Grapple checks have always sucked. In 3.5, almost any monster that might grapple, has a +20 bonus or something.

JackGiantkiller

First Post
"If (a miracle occurs and) Mystara got an official treatment in 4E, the hin (which is where the name came from, Forgotten Realmsians!) be hobbits, without question. "

That would be because the Five Shires was written by Ed Greenwood, and that's when he came up with hin for halfling. So later they ported it to the Realms. No big mystery.

Have to agree with the general sentiment. Don't care enough about gnomes to hate them. Only had two people play one in 23 years of gaming, and they were both idiots.

TroyXavier

First Post
Gnomes in Eberron are great. I've loved Gnomes since I first read Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings and don't think they deserve the bad reputation they've received.

(On the other hand, Halflings do)

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well, IIRC, gnomes fit a distinct mechanical niche in 1st/2nd ed: they were the only ones out of the 3 short PC races able to cast arcane magic (& I'm not sure if any of them could cast divine magic until 1E's UA or 2nd ed. ....). If you will:
  1. Dwarves were the tough warrior-folk miners, as per Tolkien.
  2. Haflings were both the comfort-minded Hobbits & the nimble small folk.
  3. Gnomes, OTOH, were the equivalent of the dwarves & other little folk of myth and legend. Many of the dwarves in myth seem more akin to D&D gnomes that dwarves, whether it's Regin or Rumplestiltskin.

With the abolishment of the race/class restrictions, gnomes lost this distinction. I think there's been a bit of a scramble on how to define them (since you can now have a dwarven wizard if you want a "dwarf wizard" concept, rather than using a gnome).

Personally, I had a rough time with gnomes IMC--had a hard time defining them. But then, I made them a half-race, ala half-elves and half-orcs (specifically, the child of a dwarf/halfling pairing). They have shorter lifespans (more like a svirneblin's, which is just about midway between a halfling's & a dwarf's), & they have the Dwarven Blood racial trait, but otherwise, they're as statted in the PHB. IMC, they're the only descendants of a now-lost culture of halflings & feytouched dwarves (hence the magical abilities). Besides, I wanted to have a half-race from 1 of the shorter races (didn't care for the half-dwarf Mul concept).

My group has had 1 player play a gnome--he started off playing a gnome due to limited selection (since some gnomes lived in the area). However, ever since then, he's been a gnome-playin' fool (and these gnomes tended to be brash lil' lunatics, too).

Remove ads