• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did "Medireview" = Medieval???

kenjib

First Post
Re: Re: Okay Eric....

Tiberius said:

Prescriptive! IMO, there should be one set pronounciation for the words of the language to which all speakers should be held accountable, rather than having dictionaries full of the most recent mangling of spoken English.

-Tiberius

Which of the following would you pick, and what would you propose to do to the rest of them:

British English (choose one of countless different pronunciation schemes)
Irish English
Scottish English
American English
American Southern English
American Western/Middle North English
American New England English
American New Jersey English
American New York English
American Creole English
Canadian English
Jamaican English
African American English
Spanglish
Singapore English
Australian English
New Zealand English

All of them use different pronunciations for many different words. I'm sure that others can easily expand this list as well. Perhaps someone could expound on the various pronunciation schemes of the UK. :)

Last edited:

Michael Tree

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
Eosin - Neither Gengis or Jengis is correct, of course, and I often hear Chingis instead, which is apparently "better"...
Chingis is closer to the Chinese pronunciation of Genghis. Which pronunciation is closest to the truth is anyone's guess.

My biggest pet peeve is the word penultimate, which does not mean "best of the best." Penultimate means second to last, or in some contexts, second best. Whenever I read or hear someone say something is the penultimate, I immediately think to myself, "Why would I want the penultimate, when I could have the ultimate instead? Why settle for second best?"

davidschwartznz

First Post
kenjib said:
All of them use different pronunciations for many different words. I'm sure that others can easily expand this list as well. Perhaps someone could expound on the various pronunciation schemes of the UK. :)

There's a difference between dialectal differences in vowel sounds and mangling the order of sounds in a word. Stop "nuculer" proliferation!

Wayside

Explorer
Tiberius said:
Prescriptive! IMO, there should be one set pronounciation for the words of the language to which all speakers should be held accountable, rather than having dictionaries full of the most recent mangling of spoken English.
This will never happen--it's not how the human brain works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads