• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did "Medireview" = Medieval???

Psion

Adventurer
Hand of Vecna said:
Psion, check the Alot of questions about soulmechs, feats and monks? messages in the DS group.

Right. I did. I have the entire thread in OE. I did a search for "medireview" in the thread, with 0 results. I also did a search on yahoogroups earlier in the DS mailing list, and the only results I got where a thread similar to this one. You see what I am saying... if you saw it, it got edited between you and yahoo group (or it got edited between ME and yahoogroups... one of the two.)

Theron said:
Here's what I've seen from an online discussion.

Well, I read the post on the link, and then was very surprised when I saw the name of the Author.

I know Kirrily "Skud" Robert. I've been to a party at her house and everything.

It's a small world :)

Impeesa

Explorer
die_kluge said:
I'd just be a lot happier if people would spell ROGUE right!

And that's not all... I've seen "All intensive purposes" where someone meant to say "All intents and purposes." I've seen "Kitten caboodle" instead of "Kit'n'caboodle." I've seen people who couldn't tell the difference between 'effect' and 'affect' or 'its' and 'it's' to save their lives. Hell, I'm a sciences student, popular stereotyping dictates that this should not be my forte... and yet I can't help but cringe in abject horror when I see posts that could have been written by a handicapped monkey wiping his arse with the keyboard. :D

And what's up with this 'medireview'? :)

--Impeesa--

SableWyvern

Adventurer
To join the discussion that does not relate to the topic, my only real peeve with "improper" language is when people use the word "literal" to mean "figurative" or "metaphoric" - eg: "She was literally burning with desire."

SableWyvern said:
To join the discussion that does not relate to the topic, my only real peeve with "improper" language is when people use the word "literal" to mean "figurative" or "metaphoric" - eg: "She was literally burning with desire."

News reports I've seen:
"The swimmer literally flew down the pool"

"The camera literally captures the number off the license plate"

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Duncan Haldane said:

News reports I've seen:
"The swimmer literally flew down the pool"

"The camera literally captures the number off the license plate"

Yep. 90% of the time it's on the news when it happens. It must be something they teach in journalism school.

Edit: fixed my "it's" so as to avoid riling Impeesa. :)
Edit2: Then corrected improper spelling of Impeesa. :cool:

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
I'll just pop in here with some of my word-related pet peeves.

1) Loose being used in place of lose. As in:
"I thought that we were going to loose the game" or "I was afraid I was going to loose my magic sword."

I've been seeing this more and more on the boards lately, and it's too common for just accidentaly inserting an extra O. I've even seen people switch from loose, to losing, to loser, and back to loose, without even questioning their spelling.

Lose = to not win, to misplace, etc. "Our team will lose the game."
Loose = not tight, free. "His pants were too loose."

2) They're/There/Their
This has been a problem for as long as I can remember, and some people still don't get it right.

They're = they are. "They're living in a new house."
There = a place. "Over there."
Their = shows possesion. "That is their car."

These aren't all of them, but they are some of the most common ones. There are always more, such as too/to and effect/affect.

Luckily, I've gotten used to the Rouge/Rogue thing. It took years of therapy, but I'm finally over it. No more burning rage.... for now.

Remove ads