• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When do characters stop being tragic and are just depressing?

warlord

First Post
In my Buffy game my Werewolf character recently realized through the unearthing of a repressed memory that he accidentily killed his true love a year ago. So playing up the fact he has the tragic love drawback and describes himself as disturbed I opted for him to try and commit suicide knowing it wouldn't work because he has regeneration per minute. So after I roleplay the attempt that brings both my director and another player to tears. The rest of the group goes off on me for being to depressing. So I'm wondering when does a charatcer stop being tragic and becomes just depressing?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
It's hard to give clear advice about something like this. But I think that making a PC attempt to commit suicide is pretty ... severe. I would never do that (except, perhaps, as a pre-game background element).

Also keep in mind that Buffy, although it is full of drama and tragedy, is still a pretty 'non-suicidal' series (and game).

On a completely different note, I think that you might get a lot more feedback on questions regarding the Buffy RPG over at RPG.net or Eden studios. Tragically, there are not many fans over here at ENworld.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Yea a suicide attempt is a bit of a downer and mayhaps overly melodramatic for a table-top RPG (the audience, your firends, are alot closer to the story/characters than a relatively detached tv or film audience). While an attempt at a needless self-sacrifice in the face of combat and danger would be a bit more buffy-ish and accomplish the same expression of the characters inner turmoil.

Though kudos on a really dramatic roleplaying moment! If a bit over the top for most RPGs.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
My hat of not-d02 know no limit!!

In general maudlin stuff is annoying, for me at least. Then again, I'm the guy that stopped reading George R.R. Martin because all of his characters seem to be whiney little girls.

I'm a Conan man.

--fje

Herobizkit

Adventurer
My guess is that the PC's in question were just plain bored of your monologue and time-wasting (to them) scene. I mean, does the character KNOW he can't be killed by suicide? Does the character KNOW he's a werewolf? And is there something that can hurt werewolves that cancels their regeneration? While that does seem tragic (killing a loved one and having no power to end your own life), it is also depressing. Suicide isn't something that belongs in an RPG like Buffy, IMO... it's too "real".

Remember that the subject matter you present may affect people in different ways. The word "suicide" alone can evoke strong emotional responses from some people. Just give that a once over in your mind.

Now that the PC's know why you are in torment, you can move on and let the others have the stage for a while.

Haradim

Explorer
warlord said:
So I'm wondering when does a charatcer stop being tragic and becomes just depressing?

This undoubtedly depends greatly on the group. Some people are depressed the moment negative themes are brought to play. Others find tragic topics depressing if they touch a nerve all to close to them. Still others will laugh no matter what level of darkness and depravity comes to light.

Many groups are also not accustomed to dealing with tragic pasts to any particular emotional depth (despite how common they are). A character really giving in to the demons like you did is a rarity.

So I guess for your group, it became 'just depressing' the moment you decided to play it all out like that. Not to say it's wrong, though; an event like that provides a wealth of opportunities in future play, so long as you don't overdo it.

warlord

First Post
Thanks for the feedback and no the character himself didn't know it wouldn't "work". Also its not like I'm gonna have him try to kill himself every episode it was just a one time thing. Like in the bargining part 2 where Buffy cotemplated jumping. It was emtionally if she thought about it once. It loses that feeling if she tries to jump off every high building in Sunnydale.

Remove ads