• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When do players realize Turning Undead worked? (5e)

coreyvw

Explorer
So my paladin invoked Turn Undead. I rolled for each Spawn. (Note: I use individual initiative for the monsters.) Then I told them all the Spawn shrieked and they would find out on each of their turns if the turning worked as each Spawn flees or not.
I was told this was a cheap move, that they should know immediately. I said ok but thought I'd see what others are doing.
I see it like a stink bomb; everyone's nose wrinkles but who runs on their action?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

cmad1977

Hero
So my paladin invoked Turn Undead. I rolled for each Spawn. (Note: I use individual initiative for the monsters.) Then I told them all the Spawn shrieked and they would find out on each of their turns if the turning worked as each Spawn flees or not.
I was told this was a cheap move, that they should know immediately. I said ok but thought I'd see what others are doing.
I see it like a stink bomb; everyone's nose wrinkles but who runs on their action?

I think it would be fair to say that the ones that were turned show significantly more revulsion than the ones that were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhenny

Adventurer
Having them shriek seems appropriate. I think your narration should give them a hint so that they feel satisfied with their action.

Some DMs will telegraph much more and say something like, "three of the spawn put up their hands and look as if they are in more pain than the other two that wince yet remain intent on attacking."

It seems like a judgment call that will vary from table to table.

mellored

Legend
To split the difference, make them roll a religion check.

If they pass, they know how the creature will react. If not, they don't.

Uller

Adventurer
You are the DM? You refer to "my paladin". Is this a DM PC (a character you are running with the party as if it is a PC) or is it just some NPC ally/cohort?

If it's a DM PC, just some advice: Tread lightly. You can be as even handed as possible, some players will still get bent out of shape if there is any hint of favoritism toward a DM PC (magic item placement, story lines that favor the DM PC, etc). If I have a character helping the party I nerf it substantially...keep it a couple levels lower than the PCs, reduce it to an NPC stat block similar to what is in the back of the monster manual, etc. I try to have such characters spend resources (such as Turn Undead) when the players ask me to. Occasionally I prompt them ("Hey, don't forget Sir Smitesalot can Turn Undead.")

Assuming this is an NPC, you can narrate it however you want.

If this is a full on DM PC then you should play it exactly how you would play it with any other PC. Would you tell the player of the paladin which targets failed?

I tend to make all rolls public unless I have a really good reason to keep something secret from the players and designate which characters have which conditions with visual aids of some sort. As DM, I have enough to keep track of. My players an utilize meta information if they want to or they can stick to the fictional narrative...whatever is entertaining to them. I let the players that want to be story tellers be story tellers and the gamists be gamists.

coreyvw

Explorer
You are the DM? You refer to "my paladin". Is this a DM PC (a character you are running with the party as if it is a PC) or is it just some NPC ally/cohort?

If it's a DM PC, just some advice: Tread lightly. You can be as even handed as possible, some players will still get bent out of shape if there is any hint of favoritism toward a DM PC (magic item placement, story lines that favor the DM PC, etc). If I have a character helping the party I nerf it substantially...keep it a couple levels lower than the PCs, reduce it to an NPC stat block similar to what is in the back of the monster manual, etc. I try to have such characters spend resources (such as Turn Undead) when the players ask me to. Occasionally I prompt them ("Hey, don't forget Sir Smitesalot can Turn Undead.")

Assuming this is an NPC, you can narrate it however you want.

If this is a full on DM PC then you should play it exactly how you would play it with any other PC. Would you tell the player of the paladin which targets failed?

I tend to make all rolls public unless I have a really good reason to keep something secret from the players and designate which characters have which conditions with visual aids of some sort. As DM, I have enough to keep track of. My players an utilize meta information if they want to or they can stick to the fictional narrative...whatever is entertaining to them. I let the players that want to be story tellers be story tellers and the gamists be gamists.

I am the the DM. The Paladin is a player. :^)

Uller

Adventurer
I am the the DM. The Paladin is a player. :^)

In that case, it's entirely up to you. Some DM's roll things publicly and announce results publicly to reduce their own complexity. Some keep as much meta info from the players as they can and rely on narration. Some mix it up depending on circumstances. Totally up to you and your style (and it helps to have player buy in).

I've run games where even PC hit points and actual ability scores were kept from the players. All meta information was kept from the players. It's very difficult but kind of fun for a short time.

Right now, I tend to rely on narration the first time any thing interesting happens (the first time a monster uses a cool ability, for instance). But once something is routine, I just let the players know up front the meta information an let their own imaginations fill in the details however they like. For instance, I'm not going to narrate our shadow monk shadow stepping every time she does it. It gets old because she does it a couple times per combat on average. She's 12th level...six levels of "The wood elf seems to vanish inside the dark shadow only to reappear in another 30' away as if from smoke..." gets really really old. If this was the first time the Paladin turned undead, I'd have been as dramatic as possible. If he's been doing this regularly for a few levels I'd figure the other PCs know what is up by now.

ccs

41st lv DM
In previous editions I've always had the effects of Turning - be it cowering/fleeing/turning to ash/etc - happen immediately. Even though it would make perfect sense that cowering/fleeing should occur on the monsters initiative....

So far I haven't had anyone turn anything here in 5e though.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I let them know right away. The undead give a horrified reaction right away on the cleric/paladin's turn - they just flee on their turn.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
There is nothing gained, in my opinion, from not informing the players clearly whether a creature was or was not turned except for player frustration as they begin to feel that you are playing against them, rather than with them, when they can't just take their turns and attack only the creatures than aren't turned because they don't want to risk ending the turning effect before it does anything by dealing damage to the wrong creatures.

Remove ads