When do YOU multi-class?

eXodus

Explorer
i think that multicalssing is all up to personal preference. though ideally it should have to do with the character concept that one has laid out and not just a plotting to get more and more power. hence the person who takes one level of ranger just for the virtual feats.

but anyhow.

in the game i am running almost every character has multiclassed. one is a halfling cleric3/rogue1 of brandobaris. his multiclassing just fits well together. brandobaris being the deity of sneaky little adventurous halflings. one other is a human rogue2/fighter2, the concept from the beginning for this character was a highly mobile scout type fighter. yet another is a human barbarian1/fighter4, the player decided that upon reaching 2nd level some of the wildness had calmed in the character and a more civilized tone had overtaken him. the final multiclassed character in my game is a human rogue4/wizard1. since the very first adventure the rogue had been impressed with magic and curious about it. that coupled with his int of 17, he followed his curiousities and began learning magic.

i hope my rambling madness helps........

Quickbeam

Explorer
I hadn't even considered the apprentice approach until I'd read the two posts above...an excellent option I'd lost sight of, but will keep in mind for future PCs.

As for the current character, he's just attained 3rd level and I think I'll grab a level of Wizard at 4th. Thereafter, I'll just have to see where the campaign and my roleplaying take him ;) .

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions thus far. If there are more to come, I will happily peruse them. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Heh, this is something I've been unable to decide on for my own (Ghostwise) Halfling Wizard in the FR-based campain I play in. I keep saying I'm going to take a 'level or two' in Barbarian, yet I always feel the lure of that extra spell (ie: "o_O If I have just one more spell a day, then I'm set!" :D) or that next spell level (ie:"If I don't take Barbarian I'll have 3rd level spells, bwahaha..."), that sorta thing. Here I'd thought I was above the lure of magic.. yah right! :p

Looking back now though (yah, my whole 4 :rolleyes: levels) I'd probably do things differently. I'd have taken that Barbarian level right off as it would have been more in keeping with my character concept, of an orphanced barbarian halfling raised by Gnomes (I was in a goofy mood, and beside the Lantaneese part was the DM's idea!) who's trained in the rigorous logic and dicipline of Wizardry yet still likes to 'let go' and 'get back to his roots' via his Barbarian ways. Those HP and that extra +10 base move (the meta-munchkin reason behind the levels) would really help in keeping him alive in the early levels, and it would have been more in keeping with a 'found in the woods and civilized' background. As it is I would have to go with a 'getting in touch wiht his ancestry' idea, not quite as clean and simple.

Hatchling Dragon

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Multiclassing early

Hi Quickbeam!

As for me, i usually tend to singleclass magic-users, although there is my gnome-illusionist/Rogue (5/3)...
The amount of spells per day is ok and every time i ponder about "if i had not taken the rogue levels, i could cast..." while on the other hand i cannotcount the times those rogue abilities saved my butt (evasion...) or drove the DM mad (you won't do enough damage with your str 6 ...oh, yes, you flank him...what do you mean 16 points of damage?!)

So basically, i just reduced the decision of which class to level on the point where the char is. If i have the chance to improve and need a bit more sneakyness - so be it. If there is a chance to get new spells, all the better :)

Dougal DeKree

Dr. Zoom

First Post
With all this multiclassing, my group almost seems out of the ordinary. I have six players, and all but one intend to stay single classed. I have a paladin, barbarian, monk, cleric, wizard, and a multiclassed ranger/rogue/fighter. Now I know what you're thinking. He took one level of ranger for all the goodies. Nope, he's a ranger 2 - rogue 1 - fighter 1. He began with two levels of ranger and decided to add some rogue and fighter abilities together. He plans to add some wizard levels, too, so he can be an arcane archer. His plan by 10th level is ranger 2 - rogue 3 - fighter 2 - wizard 3. Level 11-20 will be arcane archer, unless he likes deepwood sniper better, that is.

DMaple

First Post
When it suits the character.

In our group the Barbarian player multiclassed to Rogue when he saw how many traps he walked into and how often he failed Spot and Listen checks. As it is he has found he has made more use of a charging Sneak Attack.

hong

WotC's bitch
drnuncheon said:

That is, of course, assuming that they are a primary spellcaster. If they want to have magical abilities to supplement their primary function (for example, a rogue taking some wizard levels to get access to cool stuff like invisibility and knock) then multiclassing can be the way to even greater power.

Yep. Padma, the character I had in the Arteeteetee'o'ee'ee, was a multiclassed shaman/martial artist (basically a light fighter). I originally took the shaman levels purely to meet the requirements for the blade dancer prestige class, but it worked out quite well in the end. I could use bull's strength and endurance to bump up my (relatively) crappy Str and Con, and act as a backup medic with a wand of CLW.

Another good thing about multiclassing is the added flexibility. There were few places where I couldn't contribute anything, whether it was a mending cantrip to fix a busted boat, healing up people after a fight, or summoning some monsters to rescue a drowning PC. In fact, our resident powergamer, playing the ninja spy with 18 Str and Dex, all but accused me of being a munchkin at one point, which I found highly amusing. :D

hong

WotC's bitch
DMaple said:
In our group the Barbarian player multiclassed to Rogue when he saw how many traps he walked into and how often he failed Spot and Listen checks. As it is he has found he has made more use of a charging Sneak Attack.

What, not a charging, _raging_ sneak attack? For shame! :)

Remove ads