When does Non Red Box Essentials come out?

Scribble

First Post
So what is the 'Rules Compendium'?

From what they said it sounds like a collection of the "base" 4e rules, along with some discussion about interpretation and stuff.

In other words the rules without the exceptions collected into one spot.

So I could go to the book, and learn what an at-will power IS- but I wouldn't find any of the at-will powers actually listed in the book.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'm really hoping this means the premier stores will have them on the shelves this upcoming weekend... :)

Probably won't see them start hitting shelves until around the 14th though.
Core level Premiere Stores should have them Sept 10.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It's the rules for D&D, from levels 1-30. This includes (IIRC) character creation, combat, terrain, skill challenges, etc. It does not include the actual races, classes, magic items, rituals, adventuring and encounter-building stuff. These will be in the two "Heroes" books and the DM Kit. The monsters, of course, will be in Monster Vault.

?

If that was the case, it would seem like a particularly slim volume (thinking about the extract of those bits from existing PHB, for instance)!

vagabundo

Adventurer
?

If that was the case, it would seem like a particularly slim volume (thinking about the extract of those bits from existing PHB, for instance)!

Amazon said:
Product details
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast; 4th Revised edition edition (21 Sep 2010)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0786956216
ISBN-13: 978-0786956210
Product Dimensions: 22.9 x 15.4 x 1.7 cm

Nope. It is fairly hefty. I think it has everything minus the powers and monster stats. ANd I think it is 6x9 format.

It is the one essential book that is essential for me :D

PS: Ohh notice the 4th revised edition edition (edition squared!!).

Bill Slavicsek said:
The rules of the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game have traditionally been split into two categories—rules for players and rules for Dungeon Masters. Further, these rules have consequently been presented in two different books, the Player’s Handbook and the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Getting a complete picture of how the game works has required reading both books, as well as the smattering of rules in the Monster Manual. That division of information has been practical, given the large scope of the game, and it is an arrangement that many of us are used to—particularly those of us who have been playing the game from its earliest versions. The downside of this division is that readers sometimes need to flip through two or three books to find a particular rule and sometimes can’t find the rule at all.

The Rules Compendium puts all of the rules of the game in one place. This is the rulebook for the core game, whether you’re playing Gareth the cleric or DMing an epic campaign. This is the go-to book for how to make a character, decipher a monster stat block, play through a skill challenge, launch into a battle, and engage in any of the other fundamental activities of the game.

The new Rules Compendium is a comprehensive game reference, but it goes a step further; it tells you how to play the game. If you have the Rules Compendium, you have the information you need to use things like the powers in your player book and the monsters in your DM book. You still need to go to those other books for particular game elements, such as powers, monsters, and magic items, but you need only this book to understand how those elements fit into the game as a whole.

Because of the book’s focus on the game’s core, some rules didn’t make the cut. Rules for artifacts, for instance, aren’t included. In contrast, every power keyword that has appeared in our books is defined. The book also includes things that aren’t rules but provide context for understanding the game, which is a combination of game play and storytelling. For example, alignments are defined, since alignment is a core story conceit of the Dungeons & Dragons world.

Remove ads