• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Fantasy Meets Africa

The roaring success of the recent Black Panther film is another sign that fantasy worlds are changing. The fictional African country of Wakanda as portrayed in Marvel comic books has been isolated and stagnant, a common problem with "Othering" of non-white cultures. The plot of the film addresses its isolationist past and in doing so, blazes a trail for other fantasy universes in how they portray African-like nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roaring success of the recent Black Panther film is another sign that fantasy worlds are changing. The fictional African country of Wakanda as portrayed in Marvel comic books has been isolated and stagnant, a common problem with "Othering" of non-white cultures. The plot of the film addresses its isolationist past and in doing so, blazes a trail for other fantasy universes in how they portray African-like nations.

[h=3]Marvel Deals With its "Other"[/h]Othering is a process in which other cultures are viewed through a biased lens of exoticism and isolationism. These cultures are not integrated into the world but are rather static, often amalgamating a region's various cultures into one homogeneous mass. The culture may be portrayed as never having advanced beyond what defines it as exotic.

Any world creation will likely be influence by the beliefs of the time, and many fantasy worlds -- Marvel's superhero universe included -- paint different cultures with broad strokes for white audiences as a form of shorthand. This is how we got Wakanda as a technologically-advanced culture that never fully engaged with the horrors of war that have rocked the world at large. As Nate Jones puts it:

It refuses to trade with other nations, though as one line in the movie makes clear, Wakandans are still able to consume American memes. As we see in a Western television broadcast in the movie, Wakanda is able to get away with this by masquerading as an impoverished third-world country, and since the country’s leadership refuses to take international aid, the rest of the world doesn’t ask too many questions.

The plot of Black Panther addresses this isolationism -- a byproduct of "othering" Wakanda as a a fictional nation in Africa -- head on, and makes it clear that the Marvel Cinematic Universe plans to integrate Wakanda into its narrative like any other nation. It's a bold choice that will likely change the static nature of Wakanda forever. Role-playing games face a similar dilemma.
[h=3]RPGs and Africa[/h]There hasn't been a great track record in nuanced representation of African nations in tabletop role-playing games. G.A. Barber uses Rifts Africa by Palladium as an example:

...with a decided lack of POC in the art, and the entire continent serves as a place for non-Africans to adventure in. There are 67 interior pictures in Rifts Africa, of which 54 depict non-Africans or landscape, and 13 depict Africans. The first picture with Africans in it has them acting as porters for a white game hunter. Four of the pictures (just under 25% of the pictures depicting Africans) depict Africans as monsters. None of the pictures show Africans using modern or futuristic technology or weapons, none of them are of Africans fighting monsters or “looking cool”. In a single book, ostensibly about Africa, only 19% of the pictures show Africans (omission), and the few depictions of them make it clear they are there as set dressing and nothing more (stereotypes and limited roles).

Dungeons & Dragons
has slowly, steadily, been addressing this issue. Fifth Edition has made efforts to be more inclusive, and that reflects in the diversity of character art. The lead image for the human race in the Player's Handbook is of a black woman. And yet, D&D still struggles with its broad strokes representation of African nations, as the controversy over the depiction of Chult demonstrates in Tomb of Annihilation:

Its point of inspiration is a campaign setting that, for years, has been written off as tone-deaf. The new adventure draws on D&D co-creator Gary Gygax’s adventure Tomb of Horrors and combines that with source material detailing Chult, a jungle peninsula first conceived of in a 1992 novel called The Ring of Winter, in which an adventurer travels to Chult’s dinosaur-filled wilderness seeking the eponymous artifact...The canonical Chultan peninsula finally congealed in a 1993 campaign setting as a dinosaur-infested jungle where heat wiped out even the strongest adventurers and insects carried fatal diseases. Reptilian races and undead skeletons dominate the land and humans live in tribal clusters and clans. Its major city, Mezro, “rivals some of the most ‘civilized’ population centers in Faerun,” the setting reads. Slavery is mentioned about 40 times. In D&D’s 3rd edition, it’s written that Chultan priest-kings worship “strange deities” in the city of Mezro. In D&D’s 4th edition, Chult is located on what’s called the “Savage Coast.” It’s said there that the city of Port Nyanzaru is controlled by foreign traders who often must defend against pirates. Mezro has collapsed. It just sank into the abyss. What remains is this: “Human civilization is virtually nonexistent here, though an Amnian colony and a port sponsored by Baldur’s Gate cling to the northern coasts, and a few tribes—some noble savages, others depraved cannibals—roam the interior.”

Tomb of Annihilation
works hard to create a more comprehensive African culture in Chult, but it may suffer from not enough nuance:

While many players I talked to enjoyed how the history and political structures of Chult were expanded in Tomb of Annihilation (and enjoyed the adventure’s plot generally), they were still unimpressed by its execution. Its setting is an amalgamation of African cultures, a trope frequent in 20th century media that flattens the dimensionality of human experiences on the continent, which contains hundreds of ethnic groups. There are nods to West African voodoo, Southern African click-based Khoisan languages, East African attire (like Kenyan kofia hats) and the jungle climate of Central Africa. Its fantasy setting dissolves “Africa” into an all-in-one cultural stew that comes off as a little detached, sources I interviewed said.

Is it possible to depict a more nuanced fantasy Africa? Nyambe: African Adventures for 3.5 D&D, by Christopher Dolunt, offers some hope:

My motivation for creating Nyambe was simple. Africa was a major part of the Earth that has little or no representation in fantasy literature, let alone RPGs. When it does appear, it usually follows the pulp fiction model: steaming jungles, bloodthirsty cannibals, and dark gods long forgotten by the civilized races. Of course, historical Africa was nothing like that, so my goal for Nyambe was to create a fantasy version of Africa based on the actual history and mythology of Africa, rather than previous fantasy depictions. So, I went about taking snippets of history or myth, and twisting them, adding fantasy elements or changing specifics to make them fit into an OGL world.

[h=3]Now What?[/h]Wizards of the Coast made considerable strides in increasing D&D's diverse representation and transitioning Chult from conquered land to fantasy nation, but there's still work to do. As more people of color play D&D, the game will need to change to accommodate its players' diverse views. With Black Panther leading the way, here's hoping future game designers will take note.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

default_entry

First Post
1) I found it very confusing to see articles where Black Panther was praised for mix-and-matching the whole of African culture, while Tomb of Annihilation was criticized for doing the same.

2) I'm not a fan of the way the term "cultural appropriation" is used. It is too often focused on *what* a person did rather than *why* they did it. Intent matters. You cannot promote diversity and inclusiveness in a work if you cannot use cultural references outside of your own culture.

Its also about tone - Wakanda was presented as a real and relatable and ALIVE. Chult is a place of horrible, withering death with african-ish names slapped on everything.

Yaarel

🇮🇱 He-Mage
Nobody’s culture or faith has clean hands.

That kind of mindless moral relativism is precisely why postmodernism is ethically bankrupt, and even historically monstrous at times.

Saying no cultures is perfect, is true. Saying all cultures are equally bad, is false.

Just like a family can be dysfunctional, so a culture can be dysfunctional.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Wait, what about the nation of Turmish in the Forgotten Realms? The Turmics are a mahogany-skinned race of humans with a culture vastly different than the stereotypical Chultan one?

Erechel

Explorer
Red Steel is different, but not in the way we're talking here. The "Savage Coast" is more Euro-fantasy mish-mash than anything else, although it ranges farther afield a bit if you go all the way to the Arm of the Immortals. But the core of the setting is pseudo-Spain, France, England, with some Slavic city-states in there . . .

Which, is not a criticism, I love Red Steel!

They have gauchos. In AD&D. VERY argentinian theme ;) and that's why I'm quoting it. If you don't know what a gaucho is and you only think that is a Steely Dan album, here it is an image. It is Martín Fierro, the most famous fictional gaucho ever.

View attachment 94800

Erechel

Explorer
Can white folks create art based on non-European influences? Can they? Should they? Yes to both! But, when borrowing or being influence by cultures not your own, do it carefully and respectfully. And, yes, poorly-done cultural appropriation can very much be racist. But not all cultural appropriation is racist.

What you do at your table is your business, of course. But I would argue that not worrying about these sorts of issues at home is OK. It's not. We should all be striving to be better people in every aspect of our lives, including how we interact with family and friends, even when they are all from the same culture. If your gaming buddy says something racist or sexist at the game table, should you call them on their behavior? Yes. If you find that your gaming creation is unintentionally racist, should you change it? Yes. At least, that's the enlightened view I like to take.

I'm risking to be crucified by this but... this is kind of a double standard. Ok, let's be clear: a north (or south) American isn't a European person. Is North (or South) American, and neither have anything to do with knights in shinning armors, dragons, and such. At best it is an European descendant in another land, living a different culture.

We are a mish-mash of different influences (native, european, african, middle east, asian, you name it), and as such we have our own (much younger and mixed) heritage. Saying that a North (or South) American can't write of subsaharan Africa is almost the same than saying you can't write about knights and European culture. The difference is that European culture has become somewhat universal to the point of Japanese making series about King Arthur. The cultural appropriation is everywhere, but somewhat we forget that knights in shinning armor, feudalism and kings are part of a very tiny part of the world, during a very short span (less than a millenia). I'm a Mapuche descendant; that means that I can't write about cowboys? Or samurai? Or legionaries?

The worst part of colonization is naturalization of certain cultural specificites and pose them as universal. They aren't universal.

Dire Bare

Legend
They have gauchos. In AD&D. VERY argentinian theme ;) and that's why I'm quoting it. If you don't know what a gaucho is and you only think that is a Steely Dan album, here it is an image. It is Martín Fierro, the most famous fictional gaucho ever.

View attachment 94800

Learn something new everyday! I had always assumed that the Savage Baronies of the Red Steel setting were a mish-mash of Spanish and Latin American cultural elements, I didn't know the gaucho was very South American! That's pretty cool to learn, as the gaucho "class" (kit or whatever) was one of the more interesting aspects of the setting. I almost wish that in every D&D book, TSR (and later WotC) had sidebars or appendices listing where certain elements were drawn from.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm risking to be crucified by this but... this is kind of a double standard. Ok, let's be clear: a north (or south) American isn't a European person. Is North (or South) American, and neither have anything to do with knights in shinning armors, dragons, and such. At best it is an European descendant in another land, living a different culture.

We are a mish-mash of different influences (native, european, african, middle east, asian, you name it), and as such we have our own (much younger and mixed) heritage. Saying that a North (or South) American can't write of subsaharan Africa is almost the same than saying you can't write about knights and European culture. The difference is that European culture has become somewhat universal to the point of Japanese making series about King Arthur. The cultural appropriation is everywhere, but somewhat we forget that knights in shinning armor, feudalism and kings are part of a very tiny part of the world, during a very short span (less than a millenia). I'm a Mapuche descendant; that means that I can't write about cowboys? Or samurai? Or legionaries?

The worst part of colonization is naturalization of certain cultural specificites and pose them as universal. They aren't universal.

I'm not sure if we are disagreeing or agreeing! :) My point is that you do not have to be from a specific culture to write about that culture.

I'm a white North American with a healthily mixed up blend of European ancestry. I'm only slightly more connected to the various European cultures in my background than I am to Asian, African, or any other culture outside of U.S. American. If I ever start writing narrative fiction, game design, screenplays, or what-have-you . . . I will most certainly write about characters, places, and cultural elements from whatever corner of the globe or period of history that strikes my fancy. I'm pretty well versed in the Euro-blend style of fantasy that is D&D's bedrock, but if I ever stray to a fantasy Africa or somewhere else a bit further afield . . . I will strive to do so fairly, accurately, and without furthering negative stereotypes and without any guilt. Will I pull it off? Heh, that's something else entirely, although it's certainly possible.

If I ever try to publish something with strong elements of a culture different from my own, I'll be doing a lot of research first, and then be looking for folks from that culture to proof-read and help catch any errors in judgement I might make.

Erechel

Explorer
I'm not sure if we are disagreeing or agreeing! :) My point is that you do not have to be from a specific culture to write about that culture.

I'm a white North American with a healthily mixed up blend of European ancestry. I'm only slightly more connected to the various European cultures in my background than I am to Asian, African, or any other culture outside of U.S. American. If I ever start writing narrative fiction, game design, screenplays, or what-have-you . . . I will most certainly write about characters, places, and cultural elements from whatever corner of the globe or period of history that strikes my fancy. I'm pretty well versed in the Euro-blend style of fantasy that is D&D's bedrock, but if I ever stray to a fantasy Africa or somewhere else a bit further afield . . . I will strive to do so fairly, accurately, and without furthering negative stereotypes and without any guilt. Will I pull it off? Heh, that's something else entirely, although it's certainly possible.

If I ever try to publish something with strong elements of a culture different from my own, I'll be doing a lot of research first, and then be looking for folks from that culture to proof-read and help catch any errors in judgement I might make.

I think that we agree on most points. But the fact is that you have (like I do, after all my surname is French) European ancestry, but you belong to an entirely different culture, so do I (that's where we disagree a little bit). And you and I belong to different cultures, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't write about one or another culture... with proper research. And as for fantasy world, we have way more leeway. We could be respectful, and as long as we don't create unidimensional settings that only enforce prejudice (like Latin Land or Darkest Africa) it will be good.

Also, if you have ever listened rock&roll, hip-hop, folk or jazz, you have more African influence than you think. Most of the popular musical genres are based on African structures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaztromo

Explorer
But doesn't that run the risk of cultural appropriation?

Should we be using other people's cultures to flavour our roleplaying games?

I think using common references as part of RPGs is a way to keep the descriptions short -a dragon! a goblin! a damsel in distress! a dark forest! a revenge! a kidnap! a barbarian!- while still communicating a lot of information, as you don't need to add much to it.
If you had to describe every time a situation, a creature, a landscape etc. completely alien from the players' experience the game would become much clunkier. You can introduce only so much in a game without slowing down the pace due to communication (and memory) issues.
For this reason, perhaps, Greyhawk is more popular than Tékumel. Perhaps.

As players are learning more and more about other cultures (making a reference to a samurai or even to a ronin nowadays rings a bell in most heads, but in the '80s perhaps it didn't, for example) it becomes more and more practical (and fun) making refrences to them as well.

I don't see it as cultural appropriation, or at least it is on par with using a damsel in distress in your game or whatever other reference pointing to (European) fairytales or folk lore topics.
Personally, if somebody from a very different culture decides to put a Mermaid in their game (or a damsel in distress, or a barbarian, a hydra, a Vinking, a cyclops etc.) I don't feel upset at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

S

Sunseeker

Should we be using other people's cultures to flavour our roleplaying games?

I just want to latch on to this for a second.

It is largely only "other people's culture" because the hobby is dominated by white players. In areas where the majority of players are not white, then they wouldn't be using "other people's cultures", they would be using their cultures. Okay well that's all fine and dandy if we operate in a setting where like 99.9% of people in the group in question are of the same culture. But how do we then handle mixed groups? Are we then allowed to bring all their cultures to the table? Lets move that idea into game design: if we get diverse groups of game designers now is it "okay" to include their cultures? But wait a sec! Race=/=culture. That group of game developers you just got together are more likely to all be American in culture than they are to be anything else, regardless of their ethnicity.

The trick to cultural appropriation has been, and always will be, a matter of respect. Which is why it's generally a good idea to get the input of members of a culture in question to determine what is and isn't respectful use. More than that, cultural appropriation has a lot of deal with adopting of cultural norms, stripping them of their historical and cultural significance and pooling them into the "generic culture of Western Europeans". It is typically disrespectful in any culture to take something without asking, but you can't really ask a "culture". So the next best step is to, if you must, use things respectfully and in their correct usage.

A little research into the subject you want to write about never killed anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads